More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just hoping they can sign Hayden Christensen... after all Star Wars is Anakin's saga and I think he can carry a Redemption Trilogy as a force ghost.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Oh, I was all for it from Day One. I'm an OT lover and have been since I was old enough to point one Kenner action figure at another and go "pew, pew, pew!" Even if the Big Three end up as little more than heavily hyped speaking roles without many action scenes it'll still be wonderful to see these guys donning the wardrobe of the Lucas universe once more.

Frankly, if Han Solo does little more than grouse to Chewbacca, complain about how things in the New Republic aren't as good as he hoped they'd be and then die in a blaze of glory I'll still think I got my money's worth. Han Solo is still Han Solo, and as long as Abrams, Kasdan and the crew give him a few moments of classic swagger I'll be smiling and wanting to watch it all over again.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Hadn't seen this article before. Lucas's biographer was one of the few who read the original outlines for Eps 7, 8 and 9 and called them "the most exciting stories" yet, with tons of great, propulsive action, new worlds, etc.

Obviously that was the original outline, and it might have been changed since then. But it's still encouraging to hear that Lucas at least had some really great ideas in mind for this trilogy at some point.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

True but Christopher Lee.

6. cooleddie74

^
    Yeah, I thought about Lee not long after I posted that. Action scenes could definitely happen depending on how willing the Big Three are in their older years to subject themselves to stunts (and how good and convincing it all looks).

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

That's true. After the Prequels, it would seem even the oldest Jedi are pretty spry.

Kinda makes you wonder why 'Old Ben' didn't just bounce off a wall, flip over Vader's head, take the decrepit brat out, pick off a few Troopers, force slam the blast door and warm up the Falcon.

He must have really wanted to try that whole Force Spirit thing in the worst way.

8. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Putting the troll into "little green troll" there, I see. :P

9. Yoda

^Check my avatar bro, that was a skin condition that I managed to get cleared up. Turns out it was related to my speech impediment. Fix it I did.

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He did, but he was using the special "he moves so fast that it requires special training to see him" Dragonball fighting technique.

11. davejames

Yeah, you watch the prequels or Clone Wars, and you get the sense the slow-moving Vader could have been defeated instantly by pretty much anybody on there (younglings, old, decrepit Jedi, Jar-Jar, a few droids...)

12. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly that Vader/Obi-Wan fight is the one scene in ANH that I would be okay with if they did a CGI-redo to. After 3 prequel movies and all the years of Clone Wars stories - you go 'sheeesh' these guys may as well be two old fogies from a retirement community fighting with broom handles over who gets the last seat in the van for a trip to Wal-Mart.

Even Luke who really had no true Jedi to fight pretty much kicked Vader's ass, even without 'giving into his hate', just had to wear him out - and he wore out in minutes not hours. Look at the running fights Anakin did in the Prequels, he didn't go 'hold up a sec... gotta catch... my breath.'. Granted he didn't have a mechnical suit, but then again... he should have been able to last far longer simply because of the suit, no arms or legs really to get tired, he's being force fed oxygen and probably drugs and pain killers.

While I wouldn't really want to see Vader going all 'Yoda on Crack' and jumping off walls and such, it would have been nice to see him actually looking competant as a fighter and Obi-Wan, while far older and more 'out of the loop', could still hold his own. They could still keep some of the original footage in, just add in some scenes that are shot more from Obi-Wan's back or obscured with the hood/cloak, at least make them look more like competant swordsmen.

13. davejames

Yeah I would at least like to see it raised to the level of the Luke/Vader fight in ESB.

Even though one could argue that it wasn't intended to be a "serious" battle, and that Obi-Wan intended to sacrifice himself all along, it's still awfully weak-looking.

14. cooleddie74

Part of it had to do with Alec Guinness himself not being the most physically adept aging actor at the time that was shot. Lucas also said that he wanted to demonstrate that Obi-Wan was in his waning years and not up to speed and Vader was a part-machine shadow of his former self, both men slowed and hobbled by their physical conditions at the time of the Death Star duel. I think it was always his intention that the lightsaber battle in the first movie would be kind of clunky and confined to that one section of the landing bay, in part to give it a more claustrophobic feel with Obi-Wan cornered and not really able to get away even if he wanted to.

Just my two cents' worth based on things I've read and heard over the years. I think the battle is rather effective considering Obi-Wan was just going to sacrifice himself and become one with the Force to provide Luke and the others time to escape. And Vader seems more of a tragic character when you see that he's no longer the athletic, jumping and lithe Jedi Knight he once was.

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The fight between Vader and Obi-Wan was just a backdrop for the dialogue. As stilted as it may be, it was some of the more significant dialogue in the entire trilogy. It's the verbal exchange between them and the sort of stare-down they do that matters more than the acrobatics. It wasn't about the dizzying action. There was a fair amount of kinetic action in the brief fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul, in contrast, but because the two of them had no real connection, it fell flat.

With Vader and Obi-Wan it was the final culmination of the bad student whipping the aging master, and Obi-Wan warning Vader that merely using his force against him would backfire in a big way. We needed to see that theme play itself out later to where Luke exhibits a more measured, compassionate use of power in Jedi that causes Vader to redeem himself.

Merely amping up the Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight to the point of two jumping beans bouncing off the walls is the sort of thing JJ probably would do if he had the chance to meddle, and it would be a perversion of the redeeming value of the OT, but that's how a lot of the audience perceive Star Wars these days, as nothing but thrill and no substance.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

How Disney Bought Lucasfilm—and Its Plans for 'Star Wars

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We all hurt his feelings.

17. Yoda

So if these films actually turn out half decent, we bitter nerds of the interwebs deserve credit and praise for redeeming the franchise.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be OK with that, at all.

Greedo never even got a shot off, by the way.

19. cooleddie74

Yeah, the last thing we need to do is insert more unjustified CGI into the Original Trilogy. After seeing a Dug (Sebulba's species) wander through Jabba's Palace and hearing Vader scream "NOOOOO" a second time and for no good reason I say hands off the OT for the foreseeable future.

Obi-Wan and Vader were supposed to look old and clunky in that fight. Not everything in the Saga has to look like the Geonosis or Mustafar battles in the Prequels, nor should it.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, Obi-Wan was an old man who had been hiding in the desert for many years. I'm sure he was far from his physical peak.

Hell, look at what just a couple decades of exile did to Yoda, who was already 900 years old!