Here it is - no bloody "A", "B" "C" or "D"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

2. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Heh.

3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Thank you, Data's_Cat_Spot for the side-by-side of the NX with the "new" 1701. I've had this idea for awhile that any technological differences between TOS and the new film would be the result of the new film progressing from the "Enterprise" timeline. I'm one of the loons who thinks that timeline is different than the original (note Daniels' assertion that the Xindi attack should never have happened). However, I don't see any dead giveaways of a direct design evolution. Except, perhaps, the small star-drive section. There aren't many windows on it and it may be ALL propulsion and shuttle bay, and nothing else. That means that virtually the entire ships compliment and facilities reside in the saucer section. That would link it with the 100 year previous ship. The fact that this "bold, new design" moves all the "dirty" stuff out of the saucer.

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I don't even know where to start with this.

It looks like a parody of the TMP design more than anything else. The nacelles are massive and ugly as sin. The engineering hull seems far too small in proportion to the saucer and nacelles. The deflector cowling juts out too far from the ship.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it but I have to agree with everyone who thinks the engineering section needs to be pushed back but other then that good design.

6. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

It looks a little funky...but my problem is that if you're going to go funky with the hull and the nacelles, why does the saucer look exactly like the movie Enterprise? And the deflector dish? If you're going to re-do it...then RE-DO it!

7. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

You may have a point. The shuttlebay does appear larger than the TOS one on the inside.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  8. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know that someone said the Protector..Just posted the photo..Not sure if it looks the same..
    http://jedi.org/blog/archives/N.S.E.A.Protector-The.Visual.Effects.of.Star.Trek.II.png

[Same deal as with the earlier images: way over the size limits stated in board policy, so I've converted it to a link. If you'd like to repost it at a smaller dimension or as a thumb linking to the full-sized image, then that's fine with me. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  9. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    The shuttle being in the way threw me off at first. The only design elements that surprise me are the flattening of the stardrive section and the torpedo tubes being on the neck. I don't mind them, I just didn't expect them. They're going to take a bit of getting used to on a pre-TOS era ship.

I am happy to see the dish is actually a dish with a point and the detail level is fantastic. Love all the little windows and panels. The nacelles make sense to me since they look like larger, clunkier versions of the nacelles from TOS. I can easily imagine engineers at Starfleet trying to figure out ways to streamline these monsters into the slimmer nacelles on the ship later.

Regarding the "caps" on the nacelles, I think it looks like glass as well. IMO we're seeing the Enterprise in a "rest" state without the nacelles firing up. I get this feeling when she goes to warp we'll see the familiar lighting "fan" effect in the "caps".

Overall, I'm happy and look forward to owning some replica of this that I can put on my desk at work. :)

10. MOSUGOJI

MOSUGOJI Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

scrape away everything below the saucer and start over:wtf:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

12. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

But then we'd have just a saucer.

13. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

Big nacelles, big captain, that's all I have to say....

14. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I think that kinda sums up my feelings as well. It looks like an Ambassador-class ship from TNG.

17. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

So I'm guessing that if the Enterprise's deflector is blue, then that thing we saw on top of the Kelvin is a deflector and not the warp nacelle.

18. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I like it. It's different, more modern and yet immediately identifiable.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:nice ship but we can only hope "Star Trek" is ALOT better than Galaxy Quest.

20. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

WOW!!!!!!!! I don't know what to say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.