Smallville 8-2 "Plastique" - Discuss/Grade <Spoiler>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Grade Plastique

1. SUPER

5.1%
  2. Above Average

38.5%
  3. Average

46.2%
  4. Below Average

7.7%
  5. BIZARRO

2.6%
  1. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In his defense, there was a lot of confusion and Clark used it as cover for his heroics. There were people who inhaled smoke and most likely suffered concussions, so a policeman or a reporter might have written off any satements by any witnesses.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Suffered concussions? Were Lex and Lana there? ;)

3. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

The young woman was a surprisingly good actress.

4. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

That still doesn't change the fact that post-One More Day, people in the Marvel Universe seemingly can't read newspapers. All Clark has to do is make a deal with Neron! :lol:

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this is the sort of thing the show depends on -- viewers who are more than willing to fill in the blanks and find explanations to crappy writing.

6. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will we see Perry White on the show again finally? Last we saw him was in Season 3, I believe... it won't be the real Daily Planet without him!

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perry White is way too old to be the editor and chief of the Daily Planet on this show! I mean, you have to be like 25 to have such a prestigious and hard-earned job!

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Finally saw it and made my way through the thread. SUPER is the grade, and apparently mine is one of two votes. It was entertaining as usual. I'm also impressed with the discussion in here. Lots of good stuff to respond to.

Lets' see...

- I didn't know that Plastique was a DC villain.

- I didn't stop to think that maybe Tess got Clark the job. I just assumed it was Perry who pulled some strings.

- The comment about Perry being some junior reporter makes sense. It works with us not seeing him. Perhaps someday McKean will show up and they can use that appearance to promote the character.

- Didn't notice Clark's spit-curl either.

- Calling the show "Smallville" still works because yeah, it is about Clark and that's his nickname thanks to Lois. I was thinking about that as well.

Okay, what did I think of the episode? It was good and believe it or not, it exceded my expecations.

Here's my point by point rundown...

- I liked all the little nods to Superman. Didn't like the nod to Thin Mints.

- It was nice to see Lois & Clark as reporters at the Planet. This is a real first.

- Durance was so good as reporter Lois Lane that I forgot that this same character wasn't always a reporter. That fact hit me towards the end. She has her role down perfectly.

- Speaking of Lois, it looked like her hair was quite a bit longer this week.

- I still feel like calling Tess Mercer "Miss Tessmacher" and I just might from time to time. I'm reading up on Mercy Graves now and I take it that Tess is supposed to be a mix of her and Tessmacher.

- Tess is a tough woman and she's turning out to be a fascinating character. She comes off as even more ruthless than Lex. In fact she's so much so that I can see Lex coming back and teaming up with Clark just to stop her. :rommie:

- I don't think Chloe lost her ring, I think Clark slipped it off so that he could bring up the engagement. :p

- Welling? Put on the damn suit and glasses.

- It was nice to get a little peek at Doomsday when we saw Davis Bloom's face morph. I was wondering if we'd ever see the grey monster with bony protrusions somewhere down the line and it looks like we will.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  9. Agent Richard07

I'd love to see Rosenbaum back too, but I can't see him shaving his head for a guest appearance and I don't know about the bald cap thing. Could that work?

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

In a world of HD... probably not.

11. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Allow me to illustrate...

[​IMG]

As I said, his hair isn't greased back like Superman. But you can definitely see the S-curl that all males in the El family have. At least, those with hair.

And I do believe it was deliberate. As I went to my DV recording to pull this still, the shot just prior to this as he is walking with Tess in his arms did not have the curl at all.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

[cue John Williams' Superman theme]

13. Agent Richard07

It does look like there's a little something there. The show has been good with details like this, so I can believe that it's intentional. I guess they wanted to put something in for the hardcore fans, yet not have it be too in-your-face for everyone else.

14. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I suspect the interim CEO IS Lex. Badly scarred and suffering from a complete memory loss, he is found by some Swedish doctors and ... well, you can guess the rest.

--Ted

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Doctor- Lets see how we did hmm?

Lex- Yeah!

Lex pulls off the bandages

Lex-the mirror...........the mirror!

*lex looks*

Lex- what the hell!? you gave me bleach skin, green hair, and perma smile!!

Doctor- but on the bright side you have nice double D breasts

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Good one!

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I remember it being mentioned earlier that the scene of Welling in the suit from the credits had been removed. I rewatched the episode this afternoon. The shot with Welling in the suit and glasses is still in the credits just near the end.

18. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Are you referring to the alternate-reality ep from last season?

19. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The easiest solution is to do a Jay Garrick. Just have Clark do a super speed blur vibration thing when he's in uniform.

As long as he doesn't get knocked unconscious in front of Lois, it's no problem.

He could go with the suit and glasses and it would work on everyone who doesn't know him well. The only people who know him well, but doesn't know the secret are Lois and Jimmy. Pretty much every other person in the world who will ever get close to Superman will never see Clark Kent the reporter in person.

The main thing he has to watch out for is photographs.

I've personally walked out of the gym after working out in a suit and glasses, and the person I was talking to for half an hour inside didn't recognize me, because I had on sweats, a tank top and no glasses while working out. This is just casual aquaintence territory, but other than Jimmy and Lois, that's all Clark has to worry about now.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching. Thought it was kind of "meh."

I already don't like that Davis Bloom or whatever the hell his name is. That whole thing is "doomed" for failure.

What's John Shea doing these days?