Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Same with me, though it makes mine smell. It just makes it smell like asparagus!

And you'll never know about yours until you get a confirmed capable smeller to sniff it! :p

2. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Everyone in the house knows when I've had asparagus, but I love them, so they can suffer. :D

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Would it be totally un-kosher of me to share a pescetarian recipe I came up with? It's just I'm doing a great job at sticking to my J Allen-inspired goal of stepping outside my cooking comfort-zone to learn more about cooking and to get more variety in my diabetes-friendly diet. Today I made up a coconut shrimp recipe that was fast, easy, and SOOOOOOO good!

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be welcome! :D

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Super quick stir fry. Broccoli, carrot and bok choy. Added sweet soy sauce and dried onions and chillie (and also dried cuttlefish but you can leave that out obviously).

Get a good wok and you will look at veggies in a whole new way :) So FAST. So QUICK. So VERSATILE.

Went down great with beer and lime!!

6. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    My wok is the most precious possession in my kitchen :D

Bok choy, flowering cabbage, kale and all other kinds of cabbages are my addiction ;)

7. teacake

I adore everything with cabbage and about cabbage and containing cabbage. Every possible kind of cabbage. I made a ton of kimchi last year, that was like the most exciting thing I've ever done.

8. teacake

btw regarding kale, I don't think I've ever had it or seen it. I've tried to find if there is an asian name for it but it always leads to vegetables that do not look like kale. Chinese kale appears to be Gai Lan or chinese broccoli which is commonly eaten with oyster sauce and which I've cooked many times.. but it doesn't look like what I see when I look up kale on its own in google images. I eventually found a blog that said "kale is not a commonly used vegetable in asian dishes". And not a commonly used vegetable in australia apparently.

So is it cabbagey?

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's seaweedy. When I had it in one of my salads, it tasted thin and reedy, with a slight tang reminiscent of something salty and a touch bitter. Definitely not cabbagey, at least not to me.

10. teacake

I got the impression it was bitter from things people said, some kind of bitter super food. Whereas I find cabbage in its many forms sweet.

I can imagine the seaweedy too.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I love curly kale, which is great in stir fry. As J. Allen said, yes, tangy seaweedy. I cook everything in my wok (even eggs), but have an oven dish (for roasting veggies) and saucepan (for soup/porridge/couscous). That's it. I'm not sure what else one needs :)

12. Gul Re'jal

In Hong Kong kale is very much a cabbage. I can't see much difference between it and flowering cabbage except for lack of flowers. That said, Hong Kong is notorious for its own "English" names for many veggies so it's not trustworthy;) I even used yo think flowering cabbage and kale were two alternate names for one thing, until I saw them next to each other on the shelf.

I'll take photos of kale the next time I buy it and post them here.

13. teacake

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Soy makes me nervous, especially as a man. It has been shown to increase your body's estrogen levels if you start adding too much to your diet.

As for kale, I've found it to be pretty tasteless, but that's because the only way I'll eat it is if I blend it into a smoothie.

15. teacake

Bajillions of asians don't seem affected by this.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How do you know, though? Maybe that's why they're so tiny. :p

In all serious, though, it's not going to suddenly turn men into women, but it has been shown to cause things like gynecomastia, lowered sex drive, etc.

17. Gul Re'jal

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I didn't even know people ate kale until a couple years ago. I had only ever seen it used as a garnish.

19. teacake

Yeah I have bought choy sum. Chinese kale is called chinese broccoli here, it's very delicious. Not much different than choy sum really.

I'm going to assume kale is something of a fad? Seems like all of a sudden everyone was juicing it and going on kale diets.

20. Gul Re'jal

I can't see much difference in the taste either. I love them both :D Fried with a bit of garlic in the wok, maybe with a tad of veggie oyster sauce. Yum!

Hmm... I had different plans for tonight, but I think it'll end with a bowl of rice and fried cabbage ;)