DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Like anyone's gonna do that.:rommie:

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hot on the heels of the announcement that Grant Morrison is leaving Action and ending his run on Batman Incorporated, we have proof of the old cliche that every could has a silver lining:

Rob Liefeld tweeted that he will be "close behind" Morrison

In later tweets, he said:

So, I guess we owe Mr. Liefeld our thanks for saving DC, I guess. So, there's that...

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Do rush on my account, Rob. I'd like to read Hawkman again.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I hate that man.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

What was bleeding that he specifically needed to save it? Ugh...I hate him as well.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, Heat Wave joins Captain Cold and Golden Glider in getting superpowers this month. I'm really not sure how I feel about turning all of the rogues into methaumans.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Liefeld's tweet sounded weird to me, too. It's like he's taking all of the success of the New-52. It's especially weird since, if I recall, the "cancelled in the first round of New-52 cancellations" Hawk and Dove was one of the lowest selling books of the relaunch.

I haven't kept up on the news since he took over on Hawkman, Grifter, and Deathstroke, but I assume he didn't do much for their sales, either.

As for the Rogue's gallery becoming metahumans, I say, "Meh" (which, after a decent start followed by a few strong issues, is unfortunately how I've felt about The Flash over the past 2-3 issues). It's clear these aren't the same Rogues that first faced Barry in the Silver Age and that Geoff Johns did a great job of infusing new life into. So, instead of pretending that they are, I'm happy to put them in the category of "same name, new history" and if this Rogues storyline doesn't deliver, I'll bail on the title.

Here we are, over a year after the news first hit and almost a year since they titles first dropped and we're still trying to play the game of which characters have the same history pre & post New 52, which characters were changed slightly, which characters were changed drastically, and which characters are "[insert character name] in name only."

I thought Barry was one of the characters with only minor changes, but recent issues seem to bump him over into the "major changes" category. I was actually happy with some of the changes (I've come to love Patty Spivot as his significant other over Iris, as Patty and Barry have more in common. Plus, Iris really seemed a riff on Lois Lane more than her own character).

Hal, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any changes. Bruce has minor changes, especially in the still confusing "which Robin was his sidekick and when" department.

Superman and Wonder Woman fall into the "major changes" category as well. Though with them, I think it was, overall, a good move.

8. Admiral_Young

Superman #11: Out of curiosity I flipped through this since it was dealing with the suit, and found myself actually enjoying most of it. Jurgens writing is so much better than Perez's but I still find myself thinking this is a totally directionless book. Perhaps it is because I just haven't been reading it at all that I get that impression. I was confused about Superman's Kryptonian armor. I get that it literally fuses to his body and he wears some kind of white body suit that it allows it do that...but I was originally under the impression that it was meant for "extra" protection. This issue the suit gets ripped to shreds by a villain with energy weapons. I have to question the relevancy of the suit then. Otherwise not a bad issue at all...and I like the New 52 Lucy Lane. She's potential!

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Jurgens writing Superman again? I though Giffen was writing with Jurgens on pencils.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The alien that Superman fought was such a rip-off of Predator I kept waiting for Arnie to turn up.

11. Admiral_Young

Griffin's name wasn't on the cover, so I'm guessing he is done on the book. Scott Lobdell is I believe taking over next month. There was even a little joke note from the editorials tab on the last page regarding even having an issue next month after the cliffhanger tease.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC really needs to realize that there's something broken with SUPERMAN and stop passing the book to whoever is walking down the hall. Three (or four) writers inside of a year isd not a good thing.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I have pointed it out before.

The problem with the Superman books is the editor. He has driven every writer off Action and Superman.

Grant Morrison is just the most recent one to go.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Giffen was only involved with issues #7 and #8. Jurgens has been flying solo for a few issues now.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The latest trademark Green Lantern prophesy page was a doozy, wasn't it? John being zapped by the Guardians, a depowered Guy in a jail cell, Red Lantern Kyle, Atrocitus leading the Manhunters (!), the new Green Lantern guy who is going to be very important soon, and a hand with a White Lantern ring. Some tantalizing stuff. Green Lantern has been pretty great lately, and I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Third Army story. With all this buildup across three titles, it had better be epic.

17. Admiral_Young

No one can answer my question about Clark's suit either eh? LOL.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Superman was a good issue. To answer AY's question on the suit, we've no answers yet but it seemed the powers/strengths of the creature he was fighting matches or surpasses Superman's (and Kryptonian material) strength. Even Superman seemed surprised the alien's attacks were getting through his suit and his own attacks weren't having much impact.

The Flash and Aquaman continue to be very good, very well drawn books.

19. Admiral_Young

Aquaman is excellent. It is an example of how you can tell Geoff Johns is really into something. All of his characters shine in the book and it's usually pretty good story.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yep. It may be that the suit is particularly vulnerable to that type of energy, or we may find out in the next issue that it's self-healing and adaptable (ala the Borg). Regardless, I'm sure it's more likely to stay solid than the average t-shirt and jeans (which is useful if you're worried about ending up naked in the middle of a fight with a super-powered alien).