AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But as far as the Marvel Cinematic Universe is concerned Ruffalo is only the second Banner/Hulk. The Bana movie is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

2.0. Bana's Banner (heh) wasn't a part of the MCU.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The correct answer is that there is only ONE Bruce Banner and he was played to perfection by Mark Ruffalo in Avengers. :p

4. Trekker4747

This is true. It took three tries but they finally found the perfect Banner/Hulk. :)

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I dunno. I can't imagine The Ruff playing a suicidal character. Show me a prequel where he's at his lowest ebb and throws himself off of the edge of a building only to land as the Hulk, and I might be convinced that he's the definitive Bruce. :p

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought Mark Ruffalo pretty much covered that well enough with his eating a bullet line in this movie. Too bad we didn't get to see it though.

7. Skellington

^ Yeah, but it was a relatively warm and fuzzy I-tried-to-kill-myself line.

Actually, I think that Banner is referencing the deleted scene from The Incredible Hulk that was apparently going to be at the start of the movie. Ed Norton's Bruce goes up a mountain to kill himself, but the Hulk has other ideas.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrkR3PELJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of glad that scene wasn't in the Avengers. It might have worked in TIH since that movie was pretty dark and depressing at times. But Avengers was supposed to be fun and that scene would have felt too out of place.

9. Trekker4747

Ummm. It was?

It seemed rather desperate, self-loathing and anger filled; as it happened in the scene where all of our cast is in the lab arguing under the influence of Loki's scepter.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It was never going to be in The Avengers. It was just a reference to TIH's deleted scene.

I wish they'd kept it in TIH, it would have fit the "woe is me" mentality that Banner was dealing with throughout the whole movie. But Marvel got scared after what happened with Ang Lee's movie and cut out most of TIH's character scenes to make it more of a fast-paced action movie.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

In The Avengers, Banner says he pulled the trigger and the other guy spit out the bullet. He didn't do that in the clip. I got to thinking about how he could turn into the hulk fast enough to not die from a buttlet in the mouth. Maybe he healed as the hulk and stayed that way after turning back into Banner? I dunno. It was an intriguing line.

12. Skellington

True, they were all a bit more agitated than was the norm for them; though in the case of Ruffalo's Banner, he's exactly the kind of person who doesn't seem to have much of an inner demon. This may be simply because he's come to terms with his condition after what's probably been six or seven years.

I think it should have been there in some form. It would actually have been in no way inconsistent with the fast-paced-action-movie approach and could have provided an intriguing opening. No wonder Norton had issues with the presentation of the movie.

Well, I kind of assume that (the Hulk representing Bruce's id to some extent) the transformation was already well underway by the time that he had squeezed the trigger hard enough to release a shot. The second transformation in The Avengers took maybe three seconds, so maybe when he's not trying too hard to repress the transformation it happens really quickly. I've thought about this a little in the past, and if it takes 30 seconds to transform into a being with 900 times the strength and resilience of a normal man then maybe the frst few seconds or so would be more than enough time to be able to handle the subsequent impact.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  13. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Of course, if they left it in, they would later have to explain how Captain America could have been laying in the ice below and not inside a plane like he was in his own movie.

14. Trekker4747

When Banner "willingly" changes into the Hulk at the start of Avenger's last act he does it pretty quickly. It seems when the slow transformation to the Hulk only happens when he fights it and struggles. If he tried shooting himself the Hulk could have emerged quickly enough (granted within less than a second) to stop it. Or the gunshot was sucessful in "killing" Banner but his body transofrmed to Hulk (and healed) afterwards.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Was Captain America even filming at that point? They could have worked the ending to Cap to work with what happened in TIH, had that original opening been left in and not deleted.

16. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

I don't think they even had a script yet. So, I would assume they would have made Cap's fate match what was seen there.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Simple just say in a Captain America sequel that its the other psychotic Captain America. I mean there had to be a reason Reinstein's serum was left in storage and Ross being worried about side effects.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The worry over side effects might be due to information about the Red Skull.

I'd rather have the Cap sequel be about him fighting the Zemo family: His grandfather in WWII and his grandson in present day (I know the present Zemo is the WWII's son, but that's a bit much now).

19. Trekker4747

Abridged Scripts takes on The Avengers

LINK

Captain America to Loki:

"Stop you? I just want to stand next to someone wearing a more ridiculous outfit than me. I'm pretty sure I'm in a blue spandex hoodie."

20. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

CLARK GREGG: “Don't worry, we've sent a guy on 1940s steroids with a buckler shield to bring him in. Just in case that fails, though, we need you to bring in Mark Ruffalo. He's the new Hulk because apparently Edward Norton is a detestable cunt to work with.”