New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 26 2012, 01:13 AM   #31
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Which movie is most like a TOS episode?

Easily Star Trek V, which is probably why I find it more enjoyable than any of the movies after VI, as much fun as I can find in First Contact and Insurrection if I squint really hard.

The Motion Picture is the best Star Trek movie ever made but doesn't really have much of a TOS-specific feel to it. Sure, TOS had it's slower and more cerebral episodes but the goofy exploration ones were in more abundance.

Not to diss TOS, one of my fave shows of all-time.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 02:56 AM   #32
Lance
Fleet Captain

TWOK and TSFS are each like really good TOS episodes. Parts of TWOK are like Balance Of Terror distilled to perfection, while TSFS has got shades of things like The Trouble With Tribbles (with it's lighter touches) or even some of the mythological underpinings that came to the fore in something like Amok Time.

TFF is like a third season TOS episode after all the money has run out already.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 11:44 PM   #33
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

I think if you blend all six films together, you get the original series. Each one brings a different aspect of the series to film.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 08:50 PM   #34
Metryq
Captain

As others have noted, THE MOTION PICTURE and THE FINAL FRONTIER were essentially "remakes" of "The Changeling" and "The Way to Eden." To me, ST1 felt too much like a compilation of half-baked concepts with excruciating stretches of unjustifiably long VFX sequences.

ST2 was the one movie I really liked. It picked up threads from series episodes—Khan from "Space Seed," and the sickbay scene from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in the form of Carol and David Marcus. ("If I hadn't aimed that little, blonde lab technician at you..." "I almost married her!") The series had its Cold War superpowers—Federation and Klingon Empire—but what happens if some third world megalomaniac gets his hands on a super weapon? And the Kobayashi Maru scenario had several levels of significance, aside from being a continuity error. (The Neutral Zone between the Federation and Klingon was imposed by the Organians and is an "all visitors welcome" area, not a "no man's land.") There is a no-win situation between the Federation and Klingon, which is why Khan suddenly becomes relevant. The lesson of the no-win scenario for Kirk (who cheats) and Spock (who sacrifices) is that a price is always paid. Spock's sacrifice was the perfect resolution of the character's dichotomy because it was both logical (everyone was going to die otherwise, and Spock was the only one with both the stamina and technical knowledge to do the job) and compassionate. So while ST2 was my favorite movie, it was the least episode-like because a major character died.

ST3 was distressingly "series-like" because it rewound everything back to zero. Status quo. It completely short circuited Kirk's eulogy at the funeral in ST2, and was the beginning of the end. ST3 and every movie to follow had an over-abundance of "humor" so that they all felt like parodies of TREK, rather than continuations. Don't even get me started on Abrams-trek. (Engineering was turned into a brewery... ) Yes, I'm a hard-to-please grouch.

ST4, Saving the whales. Whenever the writers turn to time travel (e.g. MIB 3), you know they've run out of ideas. No, ma'am, no dipshit.

ST5, the comedy shtick gets worse (Rocket boots? Really?) and we revisit "The Way to Eden" and "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Kirk meets god and is not impressed because he is a god. ("I say he must prove he is a god!" —Salish, "The Paradise Syndrome") The one pearl in the movie was Kirk's "I need my pain" speech. That was TOS-worthy.

ST6 could have been good, but there was just too much stupid comedy stuff—The phaser rack in the galley, the thing with tree roots for feet, "Those weren't his knees," etc. The classically educated Chang (and Shakespeare in the throat-clearing noises that pass for the Klingon language in the movies) was a lame attempt to revive Khan.

I know I've seen most of the others, but dredging up the memories is too painful. So I guess that means ST3 wins "most series-like" for status quo, while ST2 wins most TOS-like for political relevance.