Sydney premiere of "Into Darkness"! (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Therin of Andor, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Of course - we got to wear the pins and keep them! And one of each pair of invitees/winners got to keep the cardboard ticket they came with.

This event was double the size (two cinemas of the multiplex) of the gala premiere that the same publicity team ran a few months ago for "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters". For that they had a red-bloodstained "white carpet", a long tunnel walk-through (with live caged actors), photo op sets, free alcoholic drink ticket, DJ, live Twitter feed, big screen for the celebs' arrivals. etc.

This time we had a traditional red carpet, and very screen-accurate sets to walk through - a long corridor, working doors, brig, observation deck, huge projections of future London and the bridge of the USS Enterprise, two free drink tickets - and a female DJ looking exactly like Carol Marcus!

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Were cameras allowed in the walk-through/carpet area?

3. Therin of Andor

Yes!

The walk-through was deliberately made for photo ops. People were sitting in the brig, grinning and snapping away, then moving on to the next locale! The sets looked mighty solid for something so temporary. (And the projection of the bridge set photographed so well that it fooled many people who've written to me to ask, "They built the whole bridge?")

The Paramount organiser told me that they've come to realise that attendees of these events tend to Twitter and Facebook their pics immediately, so it becomes more publicity than they could ever hope to buy.

In 2009, fans and celebs attending the "Star Trek" premiere at the Sydney Opera House had to surrender their phones, so there was a long delay before their hastily-snapped red carpet pics started to show up online, not to mention the fuss after the event, with everyone reclaiming their devices from Security - and, of course, no one had pics of inside the screening venue or of anyone famous on the red carpet who entered after the main audience was seated. (Ditto the sneak preview of ST 2009 that I won tickets to, about a week before the public opening; we actually left our phones at home that night - and felt naked without them.)

The risk, of course, is that some idiot will try to pirate the whole movie and put it on Youtube, but it least they are an idiot who had to gamble on winning a free ticket first.

4. shapeshifter

:cool: I'm grinning too just reading about it! :)

Looking forward to viewing your photographs of the event. If you plan on posting them, that is.

5. Therin of Andor

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. shapeshifter

You sure did. I totally glossed over the link to the slideshow in my haste to read your review. Sorry about that.

:):):)

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I never knew there were lyrics to Illia's theme, and I'd forgotten all about the song in STV. Thanks!
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0wxnabwlQ[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvTwqcGZhAE[/yt]

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

TWOK had "Amazing Grace".

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

You know, of course ToA, that we are living vicariously through you during all this.:techman:

10. Therin of Andor

Three of us had dinner tonight to debrief, and we came to the same conclusion. Eeeep. :bolian:

Someone made a mini-movie of Muppet Therin greeting fans on the red carpet and entering the corridor set. Will try to post it somewhere if I can get a copy!

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another thing. How extensive is the Carol Marcus underwear scene? :mallory::p

12. Therin of Andor

I promised no spoilers. I had to cover the Muppet's eyes.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: Poor Muppet.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

And for that, I am grateful. I have one thread to attend to without having to worry about spoiling my premiere. I am afraid, though, that at some point I am going to learn more than I want to. I keep hoping there aren't any spoilers put into the thread titles.

15. Therin of Andor

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    This is the first Trek Movie that I've actually gone out of my way to avoid Major Spoilers since TMP in '79.
    (and even then I got and read every STARLOG magazine that had a item about it)

I'm so nervous and excited at the same time...

(haven't felt this way since my first time at a major S&M/Leather Convention. Back in'85 in Chicago...
    THAT was a weekend to remember!) :devil:

17. Therin of Andor

Okay, apart from some rather dodgy advertising via Paramount Pictures Australia's Facebook page(*), I finally got to see the playback of the 30-min Australian special, "Countdown to Darkness" last night. The campaign was a great idea, but truth in advertising would have helped.

Probably based upon a US compilation, it was newly narrated by Aussie showbiz reporter, Angela Bishop, and included her red carpet interviews that she conducted for the TV news (the night of the world premiere event), plus some material that hadn't made it to air, plus Angela's visit to Bad Robot in USA, where the room was decorated with dummies wearing outfits seen in STiD (Spock's volcano suit, several Harrison ensembles, Uhura's wetsuit), plus new hotel room interviews (including one with Alice Eve, who hadn't traveled to Sydney).

It was fun!

* Unfortunately, the FB advertising campaign that ran most of the Saturday evening made out that there was new material before a TV screening of the 2009 movie (a trailer for STiD), and a 15-min special at the end (it actually came on 20 mins earlier than scheduled and was merely a 5-min taster for the 30-min special being played on a sister station the next morning, ie. Sunday.)

18. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I have a question for the ones who saw the movie: is there an after credit scene? They were thinking in doing one for the first movie, did they do it this time around or not? I don't care to know what is in there, I just want to know if I should sit around and wait for the end of the credits :)

19. Therin of Andor

No bonus scene. Sit back and enjoy the music.