Chakotay and Janeway romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by jbuschell415, May 15, 2013.

1. jbuschell415

jbuschell415 Ensign Newbie

Have the producers of voyager ever explained why they never pursued a Janeway and Chakotay romance? It might of actually made Chakotay kind of interesting and would of added some character to the show along with the dilemma of fraternizing with a insubordinate, it would of been interesting.

2. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

She seemed awfully fond of Chakotay when visiting his grave. So much so as to go back and save him. Maybe it was a well kept secret.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kate said no because she believed "sex" would make her character look weak.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kate told them she did not want the first female captain to be derailed by romance. She's talked about it many times, here's one clip:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVOzPUvtww[/yt]

"I'm glad I didn't sleep with Chakotay." If I wasn't in love with my sig I'd be using that!

5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that Mulgrew was right and that it was a good idea to keep both Janeway and Chakotay as psrofessional as possible when they were in charge.

But there were obviously something between them and if the writers had been smart, they could have come up with "happy end" in the last episodes.

6. Guy Gardener

If Chakotay was amused that Seven was sleeping with a holographic version of himself, how much of the rest of the crew was sleeping with a holographic version of Janeway? And how would that have made Janeways steely resolve have shudder?

What she should have done was slept with the lowest ranked crewman and then demoted him (her?) some more.

Tuvok as Security Chief must have been supposed to keep up on top of these holoshenanigans?

Or did he lose all credibility after he spent a day murdering Neelix over and over again in Meld?

In his training program where the Maquis mutinied, do you think his original parameters allowed for one side or the other to be misled, seduced and won over with sexual favours?

Which means that every character in the game/training exercise had a sluttiness quotient you could "roll" against. Nothing short of a critical hit is going to make Janeway drop her britches however.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  7. teacake

You know Q got to be in the tub with her when she was naked.

8. Guy Gardener

Considering how his omniscience works, that pervert probably thinks that she has a right sexy liver, and spends so much time leering at it through her manly uniform.

Considering how his omniscience works, he knew what it was like to be in the tub with her billions of years before she was born.

9. teacake

No wonder he's so bored. Been there, done that everything.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I never did like the concept that Janeway thought romance would undermine her command somehow. Chakotay and Janeway... well would be a decent enough match, though it would be quite obvious who's wearing the pants in that relationship.

Really one of Voyager's main weaknesses was they seemed so sensitive about the concept of a female captain, that they go to great lengths not to seemingly undermine her authority, that they just end up making the character a parody in so many ways.

Regardless she had no problem holohumping in Fair Haven or getting it on with the Gestapo agent in Counterpoint. :p

11. Guy Gardener

You didn't get the whole scarecrow thing?

The universe is a circle.

It goes back to the beginning again after it dies.

But when the lights are out, between death and rebirth, the Q's all switch places and then live out each other lives for the duration of the life of the universe, and then switch up again after it ends again and restarts ad infinitum.

They've been doing this for forever in both directions.

12. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I think Mulgrew was wrong too, but if you look at very early interviews, she wasn't so against a romance with Chakotay. So you say what happened? And nobody knows for sure, personally I think once Jeri Taylor was gone and the Three Bs had their way with Voyager and any question of romance was out, she changed her tune, or she was more open to J/C when Jeri Taylor was in charge.

I even understand why she thought it could be wrong, but bottom line. On a starship that was looking at a 70 year journey (yes I know they had got it down to around 35 at the end), you cannot make me believe that only one couple got married, had an affair, or a relationship; and that there was only one baby born.

A lot of guys are always harping about how Voyager was always clean and neat. You know that doesn't bother me at all. But there should have been children, and that's the one that bothers me.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  13. Guy Gardener

Or in the beginning Kate hadn't shagged Beltran, then near the beginning Mulgrew had shagged Bobby, then for the rest of her professional career the actress attempted to feign denial and distance herself from any resurgence of the possibility of such a tryst coming to light again in any universe.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, if my illicit love affair with one of my co-stars had resulted in me giving birth to a litter of alligator lizard things on the floor of the studio canteen, I'd be pretty embarrassed to mention it on my resume too.

15. Guy Gardener

Bobby Beltran, not Bobby McNeil.

Highly rumoured, possibly real, not confirmed.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, I getcha now. Never heard that one before. :)

17. Guy Gardener

Too many damn Bobbies.

Bobby Picardo was of course married, so he was out of bounds and a perfect gentleman.

18. teacake

I have never heard this rumor.

I need scandalous rumor links stat.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geez, I heard that rumor while the show was still on the air, and far beyond Beltran's joking around. But never from someone with first- or secondhand knowledge.

20. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

WTF I've seen every episode of Voyager, most many times over and I never realized there are indeed THREE Roberts. :lol: I feel so stupid for not realizing that before LOL. I usually call McNeil "Bobby", Robert Picardo... well, Robert Picardo. Beltran I just call Beltran. I seriously should have realized that months ago... what the heck!

About Chakotay and Janeway, I am a J/C fan and even though I am not in love with the relaunch novels, I am so glad that they did finally get the two of them together at the end.

Janeway and Chakotay showed a lot of promise in the beginning of the series. Then when she gets the news that Mark had remarried...I mean, come on...

Kate Mulgrew was against the first female captain "sleeping with her crew", but I don't think she realized that the character didn't have to just sleep around... Janeway and Chakotay could have had a long, deep, meaningful relationship. Even if they stuck it in during the end of Season 7, it would have been a more logical progression than C/7.

She won't have a meaningful relationship with someone on her crew, but she was willing to sleep with a hologram in Fair Haven??? Nothing against holograms (the Doctor is my favorite), but UGH. I believe Chakotay genuinely cared for Janeway.