What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Museum of Antiquity by George Brown.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    RobMax usually has good recommendations. His opinion is one that I really respect around here.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The book I most recently did read (not all at once, just a little bit each time): the King James Bible. I used to just use my iPad app but somehow I enjoy reading the actual book more.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Now that will be interesting to read after this! Was the trilogy good?

5. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished the first compendium of The Walking Dead. Moved on to the second now, but I'm not savouring this one. I've blown through half of it today.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm currently proofreading novels by a couple of friends of mine and having a great time. I hope to see both of them published in the near future.

7. cooleddie74

I just finished rereading The Tell-Tale Heart by Poe. I can't get enough of Edgar.

8. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I also finished the Bogart biography so today I started reading volume four of Philip K. Dick's short stories.

9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I haven't watched any of the series, but I'm halfway through the fourth book on the Kindle now. I've taken an occasional week-long break from the books, but overall I'm enjoying them. I love to lose myself in historical fantasy novels.

Also on the bedside table is Bully for Brontosaurus by Steven Jay Gould. An old anthropology professor had Gould's Ever Since Darwin as mandatory reading, and I've been a Gould fan ever since. I don't read his books in one go, but read an essay or two when the mood hits.

Over the past few days I've also read the two DS9 books The Left Hand of Destiny by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang, Hertzler being the actor who played Martok (should I admit I didn't recognise the name when I purchased the books? Probably not ;)). I've enjoyed them. The story wasn't brilliant, but the characterisations were good, the writing style flowed, and it was good for a few laughs as well. Definitely books I'm keeping to reread.

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading a technical manual in preparation for a professional certification exam.

Stormwater management, just riveting stuff...

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Allegiance in Exile (for people wary of another TOS standalone set in the 5 year mission this may get you to read it...it made me buy it when I wasn't planning on it)

Kirk makes first contact with the Bajorans

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, I miss Steven Jay Gould. I used to subscribe to Natural History just for his column. And I absolutely love his book on the Burgess Shale (even if it is a little outdated now, at least in terms of the Hallucigenia).

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gould's Structure of Evolutionary Theory is well worth the effort to read. I recommend it highly, especially since so much popularization comes from the evolutionary psychology perspective.

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Last night I finished Ned Wynkoop and the Lonely Road from Sand Creek. Excellent book about a truly compassionate army officer who was sympathetic to the plight of the Plains Indians (especially the Southern Cheyenne and the Arapaho) and who did what he could to get the army and the US government to take a humanitarian stance towards the Indians. His stand cost him dearly in terms of his career and at times it endangered his life.

I am almost finished The Library by Zoran Zivkovic. Six short stories with book/library themes. I especially like the story about a man who kept finding book after book mysteriously appearing in his letterbox.

I have just started The Spanish Helmet by Greg Scowen. An amateur archeologist working in New Zealand digs up a old Spanish helmet. 5 centuries before Spanish explorer Francisco de Hoces and his ship were ost in the Pacific after being separated from the rest of fleet. Could this helmet have belonged to someone from his ship?

15. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I found all three books to be excellent. Rob's writing style is not complex, but his ideas are very good, and I find his storytelling compelling. The WWW trilogy also has some interesting observations on autism - Rob always does a lot of research for his novels, and it shows.

(I may be biased... Rob and I have been friends for about 25 years. ;) )

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prince of Thieves, the novel The Town was based on.

18. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just finished No One Writes to the Colonel and other Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It is tthe first book of his I have read and I enjoyed it so much that I will read one of his novels later in the year most likely 100 Years of Solitude or maybe Love in the Time of Cholera.

I am currently reading Lost Classics: Writers on Books Loved and Lost, Overlooked, Under-read, Unavailable, Stolen, Extinct, or Otherwise Out of Commission. However I have found that, in the days of the internet and Kindle, the majority of these books are no longer as hard to get. I think I will end up buying 6-10 books that are mentioned in this book.

19. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Right-ho, Jeeves

20. cooleddie74

Stephen Colbert's newest book America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't.