NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, it's really sad how much coverage on local news Belcher has been getting regarding reactions to his death and the coverage of his memorial service this week. It's like the news forgot that he, you know, KILLED A WOMAN!

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The question is one of culpability vs. mental illness, I would presume.

3. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was somebody who was friend to a lot of people, someone who was highly respected amongst his teammates, and as far as I'm aware, no one really knows what happened. You can't justify murder, but you can't really expect his friends and family to disown his existance without more knowledge. Maybe he did just snap and did something horrible. Or maybe there was something more wrong with him psychologically than we're aware of.

4. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Interestingly enough, 5 of the last 7 Super Bowls involved teams that were seeded #3, 4, 5, or 6 beating teams that were seeded #1 or 2. So yeah, it's been pretty much a crapshoot in recent years.

Or at least, that's one interpretation. The other interpretation is that it's not so much luck as it is the fact that a teams' talent level changes throughout the course of the season, and those #3, 4, 5, and 6 seeded teams that won Super Bowls were simply peaking at the right time.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

How about those Rams!?!?

3 in a row. First time since 2006.

:techman:

I only caught the very tail end of the Redskins game. What happened to RG3?

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about RG3 either, just caught a few minutes of bonus coverage at the end.

The 'Skins win could boost NE into the 2 seed with a Pats win tomorrow and leave them only one game shy of Houston and owning the tiebreaker.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Griffin hurt his right knee; it's believed to only be a sprain but it's being checked out further just to be sure.

And it looks like Cutler was concussed again. Everyone on the Bears' offensive line should die in a fire.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Maybe everyone on the Bears offensive line is concussed, all the time.

9. Timby

It would make a certain amount of sense if it came out that they're all functionally retarded, because otherwise it's hard to explain just how they are Not Good at Football.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

What I never understood is, how a piddling holding penalty & an unsportsmanlike penalty offset like that.

I could see two similar penalties offsetting.

I'm sure Griffin will still get a fine, but that doesn't help after the fact.

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I got a kick out of his post-game news conference, when he talked about the injury. Describing what it felt like, "I screamed.. like a man, of course." :lol:

12. chrisspringob

Are you all excited for next week's Geno Smith Bowl? Chiefs vs. Raiders: The loser of this game is in a strong position to get either the #1 or #2 draft choice.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure if everybody is going to go QB crazy in this draft. It's not that great of a pro style QB class. I think Barkley's stock has fallen as well as Geno's. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Jarvis Jones from Georgia is a number 1 overall pick. I thought that kid was better than Manti but he didn't have the hype train. If you want a franchise QB than a guy like Tyler Wilson from Arkansas fits the mold. Tyler Bray out of Tennessee as well. Everybody was high on Logan Thomas out of VT but he ended up being an incompletion machine this year. He still might get some looks in the later rounds because he is 6'6 and 260 lbs.

14. Timby

I, too, enjoy watching cripple fights.

15. chrisspringob

True, and yet we have a fair number of teams that are absolutely desperate for a QB, and there aren't a huge number of good options among free agents or trade options. What is, say, Kansas City going to do at QB if they don't draft a quarterback with their high draft pick? Trade for Alex Smith or Matt Flynn? There'll be other teams like Arizona that might want to trade for them as well. Trade for Michael Vick???

16. Timby

No one's going to trade for Alex Smith when everyone knows that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of the 49ers picking up his $7.5 million roster bonus. Vick will most likely never start another game in the NFL again. I have to imagine Seattle will hang onto Flynn as long as it can, too, since the jury's still out on whether Russell Wilson is legit -- he's definitely talented but the Seahawks have played a pretty hilariously weak schedule.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I heard Vince Young is available....

:lol:

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Just used the playoff calculator, and determined that if Houston loses to either New England tonight or Minnesota in week 16, and then Indianapolis can somehow sweep them (I know, I know, unlikely that Houston loses 3 of their last 4), then Indianapolis actually wins the AFC South.

I think that's insane, considering both Denver and New England have already locked up their divisions, but Houston is still 2 games away from winning theirs.

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Houston is getting smacked around by Belicheck right now. Whatever tweaks he's added to the Patriot defense, it has the Texans completely stymied

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While I hope that to be true, you can imagine someone signing him as a backup and who knows the uncertainties after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.