Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Crazyewok, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well of course the ep's going to call attention to color, it's set in the 1950's. ;)

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd really say a better example of that is Sisko going out of his way to not like Vic's because it's set in the 50's even though the bad stuff has been programed out.

3. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

I just dont think something that overt was needed.

But then Im a child of the 80's so the problem with racism at least in my area is not really a big deal compared to early generations.

4. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

I think something that gets lost in retrospect about this episode is that Marc Scott Zicree meant for the story to not only address racism in the 50s, but also to pay loving homage to the generation of science fiction writers of that era that influenced (and in some cases, wrote episodes for) STAR TREK. There was also an overt nod to TWILIGHT ZONE, for which Zicree wrote the seminal reference book.

Also: hi, everybody!

5. Data girl

Data girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wished they would have ended the series as sisko being a writer and everything being inside his head. The series finale was bad.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

You realize that would have invalidated a lot of what happened in the Trek universe, don't you?

--Sran

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would've been up there with TATV bad.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

It would have been worse than that.

--Sran

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Yes, up there and beyond.

10. Data girl

I heard that the writers thought of doing that, but knew people would get upset about it. I just thought most of the ending was bad especially what they did to dukat.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Well, Dukat's character jumped the shark long before the series finale happened.

--Sran

12. Crazyewok

All of startrek is just a illusion by the Talosians to keep Pike and his decendants in line on Talos anyway.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Wouldn't that make his simulated life after his accident an illusion within the illusion?

--Sran

14. Crazyewok

If it keeps him docile and compliant.

To be honnest its a joke but if you think about it.....

Pike seemed pretty unwilling to live a life of fantasy....so give him the illusion of freedom with bad events as well as good. The accident could all have been a illusion to make him submit to there will :cardie:

All of startrek could just be illusions of his descendants....

15. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's one of my favorite DS9 episodes! Besides the plot being good, it was fun seeing the cast without makeup and playing "normal" (non-sci-fi) roles. And who knew Worf could be such a charmer... and smiling!

But not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. It's our differences that make life interesting. I'm sure there are things you like that I don't. :)

16. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The thing that still blows me away about this episode is that it takes the sci-fi concept and turns it backwards. We know Ben Sisko and the crew as they are on the show. This episode takes the sci-fi and makes it real life and we see the charactors and story the other way around!

Remember what Ben's dad said;

"You are the dream and the dreamer. Keep the faith brother Benny."

Damn! That's a good god damn episode!

17. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

Well, you can attribute that to the lingering memories of mistreatment he had in FBTS.

Besides that, there's no reason he couldn't be interested in the history of African people. Just because it's 300 years in the future in a relatively utopian setting doesn't mean people will forget about their heritage. Especially considering he is from New Orleans which is a focal point of black culture.

18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

19. Data girl

I rewatched it and I think it has a powerful message especially since we have a African American president.

20. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For someone outside USA's historical injustices and current guilt trips over them, 'Far beyond the stars' doesn't have even half the punch it is obviously intended to have.

Data girl's interpretation is actually rather probable, given the relevant DS9's episodes.
    It wouldn't even be the first series to do the 'it's all in the head of a not-quite-sane person' - Buffy the vampire slayer was there first.