Who was a better counselor, Troi or Guinan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by shatastrophic, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I seem to remember Troi saying something along the lines of... "Friends will talk to you about the things you want to talk about. I'm a counselor. It's my job to get you to talk about the things you don't want to talk about." That's a good distinction.

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm curious as to what you guys think about why GR kept the Troi character going, when all she ever did was look pretty and feel everything, while Yar and Crusher were shown the door? While I love Marina ... absolutely adore her and her legacy in STAR TREK ... if I were in on meetings that first season where Deanna's future was brought up, I wouldn't have given her a snowball's chance in hell of making it to Season Three. Then lo & behold, around comes Season Two and what's the openner? It's a Deanna show ...

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And there's your reason.

:)

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, Guinan.:vulcan:

5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Troi does a lot of good counseling offscreen. For instance in The Neutral Zone, that one woman starts bawling. Picard walks over, puts a hand on her shoulder, I'm thinking he's about to say something inspirational, but nope it's "Troi get in here and deal with this."

6. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Guinan.

As Doctor Philip Boyce said in The Cage, "Sometimes a man'll tell his bartender things he'll never tell his doctor."