Convention photo ops

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain_Koloth, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Captain_Koloth

Captain_Koloth Commander Red Shirt

Hello all:
    I'm planning to go to the Las Vegas convention in a few weeks. I'm thinking about getting some photo op tickets, but they are SO VERY EXPENSIVE that I wanted to try to get some perspectives on whether they're worth it from people who have gotten them before. What do you get for your $65/$80/$100 exactly? Do you get a few seconds at least to exchange a word and shake hands or do they really run you past really fast snap a photo and push you on your way? I have no qualms about paying that much if I get to do so much as shake the actor's hand and say I love your work but do I even get that much? So, if you went to a convention and got photo ops, did you think it was worth it? I'm thinking of getting George Takei and Avery Brooks in particular.

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Personally, I wouldn't pay anything to get my picture taken with an actor. I like them, but they're not worth paying money to meet.

3. Captain_Koloth

But for those who have done it, what did you think?

4. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's very quick, there's no time for a chat, you may get a handshake or a hug, if you're lucky. They are very expensive but I have a photo of me with Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto and I LOVE it!! So, it's all a matter of how much it will mean to you :) George and Avery are particularly welcoming and friendly in photo ops. Avery's a hugger!!

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I've done a lot of photo ops over the years. I think they're really cool keepsakes.

However, the actually taking of the photo is a very brief, cattle-call kind of situation. It depends on the actor to a certain degree. Some will greet you and say a word or two, some you just cycle through without saying anything.

The photo is what you're buying, not a "meet and greet" with the stars. Just keep that in mind.

Have fun!

6. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I agree with the 2 statements above.

It all comes down to the actor. Some will shake your hand and exchange greetings, others will not.

Just get photos with people you really like...they really are great keepsakes.

Have fun, and please let us know how the convention goes! It will be a few years before I can convince Hubby to go to Las Vegas for another one!

7. Pavonis

Considering that photos aren't proof of two people actually interacting anymore, I am surprised that people are so willing to wait in line and pay so much for an item that can be put together on a home computer with some freeware. I'd be willing to take photos of your favorite actor and you, put them together so that appears you shook hands, hugged, or even slept together, then let the human mind's capacity to generate false memories convince you it really happened.

Just an idle thought.

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

The only modern actor photo op I've taken part in was with Frakes several years ago. It was a cool experience and it was a nice moment in my fan "career". It's true that you can fake photos with the stars but I can't see the point of it in the same way that I couldn't see the point in copying a star's signature. I think these things (authographs, photo ops) are a matter of personal taste. Some people will be interested, some won't. The poster above who says that you aren't buying "time" with the star is right. There's unlikley to be any meaningful exchange, and there might be something that's negative (your star might be in a bad mood, techy, ill, hungry, hung over, short tempered, or the handlers/photographer might botch the experience for you etc). On the other hand, the star might try to give you a genuine moment. But with all that in mind do it if you want. And if you do, enjoy it for what it is. :) My moment with Frakes was great, and so was the time in line waiting for the photo. And I bet that when you look back at your photo, you'll be glad that you did it.

9. 1001001

Yeah, he's a good one.

[​IMG]

:techman:

And I agree, a photo op may not be the same thing as a conversation (although you can buy those too), it's way better than a Photoshopped picture.

10. Pavonis

"Way better"? Only if the pic is poorly 'shopped!

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As others have said with the numbers involved you may get a few seconds to si hi, shake hands but that's a bout it. I've stewarded at conventions during photo shoots and iit's a case of keep the line moving you've got to remember you they could be hundreds of people to get through.

12. Pavonis

Waiting in the lines for pictures must suck, especially if the wait is hours. But at least when the fan has their photo, they can leave and do other things. The poor actors have to continue to stand and smile long after you have your picture. That has to suck.

13. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I've had a lot of them done, I enjoy it and for me it is a better souvenir to have than an autograph. Basically like others have said, there is time to shake hands and say hello, not much else. There are a few who don't like to touch fans, but most will put their arm around you or something. You mention wanting to have photos with George Takei and Avery Brooks, and for what it's worth I found them to be very friendly. Avery especially was great, he just pulled me in for a big hug, George was cool as well and I think complimented my shirt.

14. WillsBabe

When I waited in line for my photo with Frakes it was great! There was a great atmosphere and everyone was laughing and joking. I remember the guy in front of me had a bigger (man) crush on Frakes than I did and could barely contain himself! What a sweet guy. As for it sucking for the actors to continue standing anfd smiling, I'm sure the thousands of dollars/pounds they're getting paid will ameleorate any inconvenience.

15. Pavonis

No amount of money will make a person's feet not hurt from standing for hours, or their cheeks not ache from smiling. But I guess I'm just not one who would stand in line for anything like a photo op, nor pay for it. I wouldn't find it worthwhile. Though maybe if I had the opportunity to be photographed with a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, or a Victoria's Secret model...or a combination thereof (that would be something!), then maybe I'd do it...but only if it were free, or the proceeds given to charity.

16. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't pay for such. It's the most exploitative thing in the convention circuit, IMHO.

I've got photos of me back in my teens with a bunch of actors, from before they started doing these pay-for-them things.

Wouldn't pay more than $10-20 for such a thing, IMHO.

It's just... it's wrong to charge so much for such.

I can see a minimal fee like I said above, but nothing beyond it. More than a $20 and it's really silly, when you think about it, to pay such for a photo of you with someone.

I dunno, that's me. *shrug*

17. 1001001

That's the beauty of the system. It's not necessarily what it's worth, but what it's worth to you.

:techman:

People spend money on all kinds of things I would never buy....

18. Captain_Koloth

That's sort of my point. It is worth it to me. My intention was more to find out what other people's experiences have been with it rather than to start a philosophical discussion on whether it costs too much. Though it probably does in some objective sense.

19. WillsBabe

Me, too. And free autographs! I can remember my feelings when they started charging for those! :lol: I think photo ops could be see as expoitative, certainly bloody expensive. But then pretty much everything connected with Trek and fandom costs over the odds. I'm glad I was active in fandom in the old days when things weren't so bad.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Only you can answer the question is it worthwhile to yourself. Perhaps the only way to find out how you feel about it is to spend the money on a having a photo taken and then see if you feel if it was worthwhile.