Bit roles before they were "famous"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Borgified Corpse, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenPug!

ChickenPug! Lieutenant Red Shirt

Quentin Tarentino as an Elvis impersonator at Sophie's wedding on the Golden Girls.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure of the timing (likely the 80s--it looks like the 80s), Clay was in the film "Casual Sex."

No, it's not dirty. Actually it's a date movie. His character is first a jerk (well, it's Dice), but later, can't help but like him.

"That's your boyfriend" is a great line in the film, used a few times for good effect.

3. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

He was, however, in an episode of Cosby, in which he played "Marcus."

That same episode also starred a pre-Sherlock Holmes Jeremy Brett as Anderson's Hugh Hefner-like accomplice.

And I've got one more: just the other night I saw a Season 1 episode of Spin City which guest-starred both a young Jennifer Garner and Stephen Colbert.

4. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Does Evangeline Lilli of Lost being in Smallville count? She's credited for at least one episode in season 1 but has no credit for all others, only seen in the background.

5. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She also featured in an episode of MacGyver.

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alicia Witt as Alia, in the David Lynch Dune film

The guy that played the older brother in The Wonder Years, as one of Lorraine's brothers in BTTF 1 ("What do you mean, you've seen this? It's brand new.")

7. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

He also had a nonspeaking role in an episode of I'm Alan Patridge.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Nathan Fillion in Saving Private Ryan

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that one. According to imdb, it was 88. Wacko came out in 83. (By the film stock, I would have thought it was 79 :lol:) Apparently he did a MASH before that.

Emma Thompson did an episode of The Young Ones in 1984. "I have a porche."

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Andy Clay was also in Night Patrol with Pat Morita and Linda Blair.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    In retrospect, no one made a big deal about Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Arnold in Jurassic Park. Of course, this was before he was Sam Muthafuckin' Jackson! courtesy of such films as Pulp Fiction & Snakes on a Plane.

You sure? I don't think so. Although, I believe Fleischer did appear in BTTF2 as Biff's mechanic friend, Terry.

And before that he starred in an earlier Twilight Zone episode called "Nick of Time" in which he's a young newlywed who believes that a cheap diner fortune telling machine actually tells the future.

12. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't find a good screen capture of it, but Connor also had a guest starring role in Sliders season four's "Prophets and Loss" back in 1998. However, Trineer's role coincided with Barry Pepper's role as Roger Maris in 61*; and Pepper was a hippie in 1995's Sliders season one episode "Summer of Love":

[​IMG]

Pepper has went on to have many great roles since 1995; he's been in everything from "Saving Private Ryan" to "We Were Soldiers" to even the current Will Smith movie "Seven Pounds".

And before she had her big break in 2003's Terminator 3, Kristanna Loken appeared in the 1998 Sliders season four finale, "Revelations":

[​IMG]

Then there's Jeffrey Dean Morgan who appeared in the 1996 Sliders season two episode, "El Sid":

[​IMG]

Morgan has gained prominence in recent years as the dad on Supernatural; dead Denny on Grey's Anatomy and the upcoming turn as The Comedian in the Watchmen film adaptation.

Other Sliders notables are Will Sasso; he had a recurring part as the hotel manager in 1995's Sliders season one before landing on Mad Tv in 1997. And before he was the ship engineer on Andromeda in 2000, Gordon Michael Woolvet was the young judge in the 1996 season two finale "The Young and the Relentless". There's also Una Damon who was the Kromagg slave girl in 1996's "Invasion" during Sliders season two; Una has had several prominent cameos in films like The Truman Show, Deep Impact, Gattaca and most notably the first Raimi Spider-man film (she was the tour guide in the sequence where Peter was bitten by the spider).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Oops, you're right, my bad. :alienblush:

She was also in a ST:Voyager ep called "Favorite Son".

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    So long as we're counting major Canadian sci-fi actors, Leni Parker (Da'an on Earth: Final Conflict) had a bit role as a diner waitress in the craptacular sci-fi film Laserhawk (starring Mark Hamill & the kid from Free Willy).

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And before that, Fishburne had three brief appearances as Cowboy Curtis on Pee-wee's Playhouse.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've always thought of John Milner as the proto-Han Solo. Milner exchanges with Carol (Mackenzie Phillips) reminds me of Han and Leia. In fact I came up with an alternate cast for Star Wars using the American Graffiti cast

Luke Skywalker- Ron Howard
    Han Solo- Paul Le Matt
    Leia Organa- Cindy Williams

American Graffiti has Suzanne Somers as the Girl in the T-Bird.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Funny!!!

She's also a regular in Mad Men, apparently.

19. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

My wife and I recently caught an old Posh Nosh on PBS that had a cameo by David Tennant.

Here it is.

Tennant makes his particularly icky appearance around the 7:48 mark.

20. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Tony Robinson (Baldrick, Time Team) played a motorcycle courier in Brannigan, and got pushed into the Thames by John Wayne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.