Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Faria, May 18, 2013.

1. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

Warp drive remains but with respected limits.

Transponder are out

Data is not magic, it's possible

Vulcans and klingon remain, but as inhabitants of colonies of human who has evolved peculiar feaures

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved Moore's response to this very question, if he were to reboot Star Trek the way he did BSG. His response was that there are just some things that are quintessential Star Trek, so a successful reboot would have to incorporate them. Phasers are at the heart of Trek; lasers were not key to BSG, so they could change that into bullets.

While a reboot that goes into more basic and fundamental themes of Trek would be fun to watch, there are just some staples and tropes that can't be eliminated. However, determining those staples and tropes has always been a point of debate among Trekkies. Imo, we need, in no particular order, phasers, warp drive, torpedoes, Horatio Hornblower in Space, space exploration, crew diversity, forehead aliens (though there's always room for imaginative, horrific, or just plain complex aliens), and social commentary in the form of analogy.

I could use less time travel and technobabble-as-conflict-resolution, though.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

1) How is that Star Trek? As someone said, that sounds like Firefly. Plus the alien cultures are part of what sets Star Trek apart.

2) But the other "magical" no magic technologies are not?

3) Which warp scale? Most shows, even BSG move at the speed of plot.

You would be wrong.
    Star Trek was a reboot. The time travel was an excuse to change things. (a reboot) The focus was clearly on the 23rd Century.

While BSG was a reboot it also stuck to the basic concepts of the original. Human-Cylon war. Colonies destroyed. Ragtag fleet fleeing the Cylons looking for a lost Colony called Earth. It's tone was different, much darker with less "likable" characters. That's what sets it apart from the original.

4. Nerys Myk

Do they take up more space than stairs? Because that would be the alternative. They're probably quicker that stairs, ladders and winding corridors. So, yeah they make sense.

Androids are "magic". You know what's even more "magical" Androids/robots/AIs that are indistinguishable from humans

5. Faria

No, they have non sense, esoecially for that I see in deckplans on internet, they are just a waste of space

Androids are "magic". You know what's even more "magical" Androids/robots/AIs that are indistinguishable from humans[/QUOTE]

data is plausible, we already have some robots who can looks human
    [​IMG]

6. Nerys Myk

You'll have to elaborate on that. What makes them a waste of space. Because increasing the ability to get from one area of the ship to another quickly would seem to make perfect sense.

Most deck plans are fan created. The ones we see in the show are pretty bare bones.

Looks like a mannequin

Looking human is the "baby" step. A Data and especially a Six is far beyond anything we have right now.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Good God, no.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Faria, I don't understand your problem with turbo lifts. Do you object to elevators in tall buildings?

And just because a robot looks remarkably human doesn't mean that it necessarily acts all that human. The external appearance is the easy part.

9. Faria

1- my problem with turbolifts is that they go horizontally

2- the photo of the robot I post is of a robot able to imitate human facial expressions

10. Nerys Myk

1) And that would be wrong why? Ever been to a large airport?

2) Still a far cry from a Data or a Six.

11. Faria

1- orizontal turbolift can have sense in a saucer of 460 m , but with non more than 4-6 "turbostop" for deck.

In a saucer of 126 or 140 metri they are just a waste of space

2- I said Data is plausible

12. Nerys Myk

1) Why?

2) No, you said possible. Then changed to plausible. Even the plausibility is a bit iffy.

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

The turbolift moves both horizontally and vertically. If you've ever been in a building (or pair of connected buildings) where you had to take one elevator, walk down a hall, and then take a second elevator to get to where you were going, the turbolift would be very convenient and simple.

14. Faria

NOo, because they'll be a waste of space and too complex to do

Look this deckplans :

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/enterprise-deck-plans-sheet-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

...and? That's a problem, why?

Yeah, pre-programmed into an unthinking computerized machine.

AI is decades off, yet.

16. Faria

Yes, but it is plausible

17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a reboot, but YES, I'd love to see a dystopian Star Trek. Set it in the 25th Century following the supernova that destroys Romulus in the original timeline, and have the Federation fall. A small, ragtag fleet of Federation ships tries to survive...

18. Faria

Why don't change Data with an autistic/asperger person?

19. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

original BSG is to me.

NuBSG was good, but much too self-consciously dark and grim to the point of absurdity. I DON'T want a Star Trek reboot deliberately modeled on nuBSG.

20. Nerys Myk

Who's deck plans are these? Probably not Starfleets.

And this proves what? Why are they too complex. How is the space being "wasted".
    Yet somehow more plausible than a turbolift. :lol:

Why?