Star Wars Battlefront

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Light, Apr 18, 2015.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You could also get it for PC or PS4.

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So when will they start selling Battlefront Premium?

It was a nice trailer, but I'll keep a hat on my excitement until I see proper gameplay.

3. Kane2026

Kane2026 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am not displeased that prequel material is not included (at this stage), though some of the settings such as Naboo and the Tatooine race course would be cool.

My major worry is about the upgrade system for weapons and skills. Not including such a thing would be too 2004'ish. It doesn't have to be a complicated system such as Destiny but a lack of such a system is one reason I stopped playing Battlefield 1942.

If this game turns out to meet expectations I suspect I will get it for the PC.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Back when I played BF1/2 I think I picked Prequel stages 75% of the time. Rebels and Empire are boring.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's not surprising that it doesn't have singleplayer. The original games were the Star Wars answer to the Battlefield series of games, in particular Battlefield 1942 and in those games, it was all about the multiplayer. I can't remember if it had any singleplayer component. You'd just be playing with bots anyway, which just doesn't seem too exciting. The difference would be if they actually wove a story around the settings and gave you a certain linear progression, but I doubt they'd do that.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

BF1/2 I never once played online, I played on split-screen with my friend against bots. BF2 actually had a story mode where you played the maps with specialized objectives and bosses that couldn't be found anywhere else.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Exactly, I play almost exclusively single player/offline.

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

If the film Rogue One has a lot of combat in it, this game could tie in to it quite easily as the era is about the same.

9. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I rarely dabble in multiplayer anymore. I usually prefer to play single player..especially if the game has a good story. :)

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Battlefront 2 had a Galactic Conquest mode, which was like a strategy game that tied the shooter parts together. You built fleets on a galaxy map and sent them to attack planets, and the outcome of the battles was determined by your success on foot/in cockpit. There was also a campaign that forced you to complete specific objectives in the middle of the battles. Finally, there was an instant action mode, which pretty much was just multiplayer with bots.

The game catered for all sorts of players, and a lot of us old Battlefront fans really did just play it for the singleplayer content. So it's disappointing that this new Battlefront seems to have abandoned us and is focusing almost entirely on the multiplayer crowd.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

This would be wise, as DICE's last few games have been ... sub-optimal.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess you also don't care about elections because you think your single vote doesn't matter.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm just a cynical old bantha bastard, but nothing EA/DICE release will excite or upset me unless it's gameplay footage.

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

We're talking about a product here. You are not in the target audience. It's fine for you to not be interested in that product. It's fine for a company to not be interested in marketing a product to you.

Plenty of games out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

16. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

It does boggle the mind that the industry is still pushing multiplayer only in the era of GamerGate. After publicly and conclusively outing what worthless pieces of shit the average gamer really is, I would have thought that "you don't have to deal with them" would be a huge draw in this day and age.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just dug out my old Battlefront 2 this morning. Aaaaah, such wonderful memories! :D I can't believe this game is TEN YEARS OLD. It still looks pretty good!

18. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

This. I could care less about the prequal content or space flight. But no single player? That's a deal breaker for me.

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/06/star-wars-battlefront-will-not-have-aiming-down-ironsights/

I predict a lot of shooting-from-the-hip and Han-shot-first jokes.

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's nearly perfect. I have NEVER stopped playing it. :D I've got it for PS2, Xbox, PC (DVD and CD releases). Recently I dipped back into Battlefront I as well. Love the maps, but the inability to run is irritating. Still, jumping into a Cloud Car to zip around Bespin is awesome.

Whatever Dice gives us, we will always have these great two games... and the graphics aren't really even all that bad. I've got the Xbox 360 running Battlefront 2 (with some sort of backwards-compatible patch to enable it) and the graphics are nice and clean, even on a 52-inch HDTV. Roaming around the Tantive VI as Vader, mowing down Rebel troopers never gets old.

Again, Battlefront (Dice) does have a single player mode called Missions. Some news about that here:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/whats-in-star-wars-battlefront-missions/

"This component, he says, "allows players to basically jump into these crafted challenges where they can play either alone or with a friend cooperatively online or split-screen". It sounds a lot like a bot mode unsurprisingly, but with that idea of recreating the movie experience rather than just an offline version of the multiplayer. "These missions offer challenges that are inspired by the films and they also focus on re-playability," continues Fegraeus. "You can just jump in and play or you can turn up the difficulty to get a real challenge and try to beat the hardest things".

Executive producer Patrick Bach explains further about that aim to recreate the films: "it’s not supposed to feel like a multiplayer game per se. For us, it’s more a question of getting the enemy AI behaviours to fit with how the characters behave in the movies – what do stormtroopers do when they attack the rebels? - and then also, how do you tweak that to make it fun and accessible". "​

Last edited: May 8, 2015