Miranda class list of ships resource?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by CharlieZardoz, Jul 25, 2013.

1. CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey all! Just thought I'd throw this one out there for some fun debating. We know that many many miranda class starships were built and used by the Federation as seen in the Dominion War, however so few of them were ever mentioned or named. Are there any reliable sources (outside of an updated Omnipedia) out there that might give more elaborate names and registries that are at least ...uh plausibly canon? :)

USS Brattain (NCC-21166)
    USS Lantree (NCC-1837)
    USS Majestic (NCC-31060)
    USS Nautilus (NCC-31910)
    USS Reliant (NCC-1864)
    USS Saratoga (NCC-1887)
    USS Saratoga (NCC-31911)
    USS ShirKahr (NCC-31905)
    USS Sitak
    USS Tian An Men (NCC-21832)
    USS Trial (NCC-1948)

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There were two Reliant model kits that were used as far background ships, with the registries NCC-9481 and 4186. Their names, however, were illegible.

3. CharlieZardoz

They probably didn't have any or at the least were variants of the name "Reliant" There are many ships named in the Trek series which were never identified in the Omnipedia and probably never will be but makes you wonder if Mike Okuda has some hidden book of names and registries stashed away in his closet somewhere. :)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_starships

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Oh they had names...the photos of these ships are on John Eaves's blog. It's just that the names are too small to make out. But you're probably right; they're probably variations of "Reliant" just like the "Trial" was.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

There's also a list of FASA ships, if you want that. Most of them have registries that don't follow the 1800 pattern because those numbers were carried over from the Anton class cruisers, which evolved into the Reliant/Miranda design in the FASAverse. The first converted ships retained those numbers and then the new builds were given their own registry series.

6. CharlieZardoz

Aye I'm open to considering at least some of the FASA ships semi-canon, like the Avenger and the Surya, even the Miranda whose registry seems to meander from 1830-1833-1800. But FASA (to my knowledge) stops at the end of the 23rd century and I'm curious if anyone compiled a decent reference to ships in the 20,000-40,000 range. Since it's all part of my plan to build a recreation of the Sacrifice of Angels battle with a bunch of AMT and resin models some time in the near future. Can't wait for that 1:1000 reliant kit. ;)

7. CharlieZardoz

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Due to their sheer number, just assume most ships mentioned are either Excelsior- or Miranda-Class, unless actually seen on screen :lol:

I love the Miranda-Class, definately one of the most adaptable and endearing ships in the fleet.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There's really no such thing as semi-canon. Either something's canon or its not. I'm only bringing that up because your OP seemed to indicate you were only interested in canon info. If you're not, then yeah, there's tons of info out there about the Miranda class and names/registries.

Is there supposed to be a 1:1000 kit coming out?

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding noncanon Mirandas, Memory Beta has a pretty comprehensive list that includes FASA and other such sources that once held "official" status - that is, they weren't produced without Paramount's permission and blessing and demand for a cut.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Miranda_class

FASA didn't really create a list of ships for the TNG era, but the TOS movie era Mirandas actually fall in the registry range you seek, being of the NCC-26XXX format. Also, here's a fan-compiled list to all FASA ships by class, including all they ever wrote about the Miranda:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/FirstofTwo/shiplist5.html

Beware of popup commercials, tho...

Timo Saloniemi

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

FASA did do some TNG era ships for the TNG Officer's Manual, but it's probably fair to say that module marks their biggest deviation from what became canonical afterward, and in no small part because it seems they were working from some early concepts that never fully it made it into the show (the Klingons becoming Federation members for example). Most of their late TOS work doesn't go too far from canon, aside from things like the Romulan origin (the emotion/logic schism wouldn't be introduced until much later). AFAIK, the Avenger and Surya type variants didn't originate with FASA, but with Mastercom.

12. CharlieZardoz

Yes in 2014 according to round 2 anyways. It's already been created in test form at the last Wonderfest.

http://culttvman.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ks2013r211.jpg

And well semi-canon is my way of saying things that don't fit too far out of the range of what are the established rules laid down by the series. Examples might be ships which were named and registries given but no class identified and can be surmised to fit in with a certain class based on where those registries are most common (like the USS Emden). Stuff which "could" be true lol. The problem I have with Fasa's Miranda list is that all the numbers are concurrent Formidable - NCC-26226 to the Thoth - NCC-26302. That's not how Star Trek ship registries work from what I can tell it's kinda random lol. And other sources like the Dominion War Sourcebook show registries just too far out of the range of established parameters so I don't give it much credit.

http://stevepugh.net/fleet/miranda.html

http://database.alpha-command.com/index.php?title=Miranda_class

However Jtgraphics did a decal set for alternate Saratoga conversion names (Hornet Langley) which look fairly believable within the registry confines.

http://www.federationmodels.com/decals/jt_graphics/default.htm

So far I found this guys list to be relatively believable and the closest thing to what I'm looking for. :)

http://www.ussalbion.co.uk/miranda.html

http://www.ussalbion.co.uk/starship2.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks for that info. I'm glad they're doing the same with this ship as they did with the Enterprise-A. The 1/537 scale Reliant has always been too big and unwieldy IMHO. This scale is perfect.

Unfortunately, one of the most frustrating things about starship registries is that sometimes there seems to be a pattern to them, and then sometimes they don't seem to make any kind of sense at all. Obviously that's because of having 45 years of televised Trek, different people come up with different things over time. There's never going to be a true, unified way of establishing how registries work.

14. Timo

To the contrary, as long as the official record of registries remains so incredibly incomplete as our current "fleets hundreds of ships strong" vs. "about a hundred known registries" situation, it's easy to think of all sorts of "unified" models (possibly hideously complicated ones, but that's beside the point ;) ). Those will remain "true" until new and contradictory registries are added, but currently there doesn't seem to be much registry-adding taking place.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm talking about the registries we know, not the ones we don't.

16. Timo

And that's the easiest part, because there are so few of them - just about any arbitrary theory will fit.

Timo Saloniemi

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Which just reinforces my point about how some registries seem to have a pattern while some seem to make no sense.

18. Timo

That only precludes the most simplistic of models; it's possible to fit an infinite number of models that feature a paradigm shift or three at various points of the pseudohistory - or to interpret the sporadic registries from the TNG era as representing an orderly batch model after all, only with a great many batches, each with very short production runs.

Timo Saloniemi