Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TrekGirl, May 24, 2013.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Respectfully, that was unfair and uncalled for.

And for the record, I'm with James on this. The level of snark and unnecessary vitriol from various corners is really tiring.

I'm not pointing a finger at any one person on this, your post just caught my attention, but really sometimes folks need to let things go and step away from the keyboard.

2. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amen, USS Intrepid. The competitive urination has gotten way out of hand. Just make good product and let us judge, cause that's what it's all about. Well that or the hokey-pokey I'm really not sure.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You are of course absolutely right. I would certainly like to apologize for that little barb as it was wholly unnecessary and the result of my own inability at times to self-edit as I write. To James, and to all of you - I sincerely offer my genuine apology.

Again, agreed whole-heartedly.

I do however stand by my initial question and my stance that had a simple answer been provided rather than the usual deflection, blame, and parlor tricks of online interaction, a lot of the drama of these last few pages likely would have been avoided.

But, as the question's been answered it's neither her nor there. I am going to really try to be less abrasive in the future though because clearly I'm just as much a part of the problem.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Wow, that's great! Thanks for sharing that info. :cool:

I'm going to hold you to that. :cool: I just finished watching your "Cookin' With Gas" Star Trek fan film for the fifth time and it's still not stale. I loved living in the Star Trek universe you created in that short film, if only for a few minutes. And the little surprise extra after the end credits? OH CRAP! :rommie:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Its cool doubleohfive, but I can totally understand why James is fed up with it, and why people sometimes get a little hot under the collar. Heck, I've been there myself, and it really is incredibly frustrating.

Guess that's just the internet for you.

6. TrekGirl

TrekGirl Ensign Red Shirt

No they don't.

They. Owe. No. One. Anything.

Okay...about to be unladylike for just a min....

I feel that all fan production producers/actors show tremendous restraint on these type of forums. Like I've said before, were it I, doing something I enjoyed doing as a hobby…would SURE AS HELL do it EXACTLY the way I wanted it to be done and I'd stay a million miles from ANY online forum because I’d end up stooping right down to their level and telling every one of those passive aggressive, stick up their ass, arm chair quarterbacks to go f**k themselves and the horse they rode in on. And if they could get up off of their big, pimpled asses for just a sec, they could stick their ''constructive" criticism in there as well. People are CONSTANTLY begging them to hurry up and put more episodes out...why the hell should they be in a HURRY?!?!...so a bunch of know-it-all-and-the-price-of-it blowhards can tell them what is wrong with the lighting, sound, acting, hair color, uniform color, the color/pattern of the blinking lights, the music, the effects, the editing, the size/shape/placement of lint on McCoy's friggin’ smock? Gee, I wonder why they'd be reluctant to release anything until they had pored over every single goddamned frame of the thing 1,000 times so they might, JUST MIGHT circumvent SOME of the whining and nitpicking wannabe’s, who don’t have the gumption to actually do this themselves, but have all the energy in the world to ENDLESSLY pick it the f**k apart. I will repeat something that has been said innumerable times on these forums - Don’t like it? Don’t watch it. And then, take a deep breath, step away from your computer (i.e. social life)…go outside and look at flowers or some shit. Life is short.

7. TrekGirl

Oh and another thing...I'd credit or not credit whoever the hell I wanted, in any way shape or form I wanted. I'd credit Rudolph the mother f*****g Reindeer if I wanted to.

Okay that is all. I think.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I wish there was a "Like" button on this forum, because I'd punch the hell out of it on post #146. Well said.

Wowbagger likes this.
  9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Gonna go ahead and deduce that this is at least in part directed toward me.

I never said they did. In fact, I'm one of the biggest supporters of this very idea when it comes to the fan films, most notably in the case of Starship Exeter whenever someone gets it in their heads to kvetch about how long it's taking them to finish "The Tressaurian Intersection."

That being said, I asked a simple question that could have easily been addressed but was instead blown WAY out of proportion by both sides.

And herein lies the rub. This is all a hobby. These productions - amazing though they may be - are hobbies. They are passion projects, vanity pieces, done for fun by the people who make them. And that's wonderful. It really is. Again, huge supporter of that.

Where the problem started for me here was that the work was not being properly credited and that the production was talking a big game about being as "professional" as possible.

I work in Hollywood on television shows and films. I'm well-versed in what constitutes "professional" behavior and "professional" content. To not credit Vic for having directed the episode that Phase II is now in the midst of releasing was intellectually dishonest to me and I didn't want to believe that they would try to stoop to that level, which is why I asked my question of them. I don't believe I'm entitled to anything. They could have easily given a hundred different answers that could have been fine but they skirted the issue all while talking about how "professional" they were going to be.

The word for that is hypocrisy.

If they were actually professionals about it, they would have realized that yeah, it sucks what went down with Vic but he did do the work that Phase II is benefiting from, so they should still credit him.
    It just boggles my mind how blindingly obvious this is.

Then again, nobody in fan films seem to understand how credits and titles actually work, so it's not altogether surprising. But the point I'm making is they should have known better. If Vic is badmouthing Phase II to other productions and personnel, that's a whole other ball of wax. The issue I was raising was that a guy did some work for them and now they weren't going to credit him even though he did the work and they were using it.

Good for you! The problem though then becomes "How do we take you seriously as a professional production if you don't credit the people who do the work for you?"

I don't blame James for being fed up with the vitriol and hate. What I don't care for is the legitimate questions being ignored or dismissed as part of same and that's the feeling I got from both Alec and David previously. I don't doubt though that it can be quite taxing and unfair no matter the original intention.

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

OK, I couldn't resist.... there is no good reason to demand ANY particular fan film group hurry up because you want more. THERE IS MORE!! There are many, many groups! Drop by Star Trek Reviewed and try a dozen... or a score! http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/

11. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Just as season 1 did it!

12. TrekGirl

Thank you Professor! ;)

That is not a problem because believe me if I was making it, it definitely would NOT be a professional production, lol

13. Jptrekker

Jptrekker Captain Captain

Agreed, that and 1701 Pennsylvania Ave are very well done, and very funny as well. Thanks Pony!

14. PonyHorton

PonyHorton Lieutenant Junior Grade

a

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for sharing, Pony.

Really enjoying your work on Kitumba.

16. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for sharing this.

17. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

He who saves a single life, saves the world.

18. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Gee, I missed this, Thanks for posting this. :bolian:
    Thanks Pony for this insight.... I never knew.... :klingon:
    And Pony I love your work and acting as a :klingon:

Pony, can the cast sell autographed "Cast" photos???