Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TrekGirl, May 24, 2013.

1. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Hear hear, let's get back to talking about "Kitumba" and the future of Phase II.

As a rank amateur video enthusiast, I'd like to hear more about the editing process for "Kitumba". What is it about the Sol 7 facility that's so special that it will help to speed along the editing process? And is this something the production team will continue to be able to take advantage of for future episodes?

(Oh, and if I can put my excited fanboy hat back on one last time, I want to second the others, Mr. Gerrold, on giving us "The Trouble With Tribbles", not to mention your vast collected non-Trek works. I bought the Making of The Trouble With Tribbles when I was nine years old and it's still one of my prize possessions, and I live in hope you will gift us someday with another entry in the Star Wolf or Chtorr series :D. But until then, it's great to see you at the helm of Phase II!

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Oh for crying out loud.

You guys make it sound like I was out for blood. I assure you, I am not. I've simply been curious about why, when all is said and done and the work has been completed and Phase II will obviously benefit from the work Vic did as the director of the episodes, he isn't going to be credited. It just strikes me as supremely immature and disingenuous.

I continue to wish them well. This isn't personal for me nor is it some vendetta. I just don't see how Phase II expects anyone to take them seriously as professionals when such a simple matter is handled so poorly.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Frankly, I'm tired of the bickering between different fanfilm producers. I've heard many of them badmouthed or badmouth each other. This person took payment and didn't deliver what was promised. That person took what wasn't theirs. Blah blah blah. All it does is makes most of them look bad or petty.

4. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maurice - there´s a very simple solution - don´t read it... :lol:
    I find it at least very entertaining - whcih might seem a bit cruel as some people really seem to have been hurt by what was going on.

Ultimately, I think it is the producers decision who gets credited for what - and he owes us absolutely no explanation - only to the people involved.

5. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First off, this type of stuff is exactly why I no longer participate in forum boards. Since it is me who actually determines where these credits are placed I will tell you that Vic's name actually is placed in the first card at the end credits for Director and appears again as his character alongside the rest of the supporting cast. It does not appear at the head of the episode. David and I have both been very busy and we have not yet had time to discuss this particular issue and I thank him for jumping in here. While I will NEVER go into discussing private matters in a public forum, no matter what transpired with Vic, or my personal feelings toward him, I would never remove his name from the episode.
    James Cawley

6. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Thank you James.

7. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

James, thank you both for clearing this up, and for everything you've done over the years.

Maybe now we can all get back to discussing the episode, which I for one am really enjoying. I can't wait to see what the final color correction looks like, though I still expect it to be on the dark side. (Most episodes look a little dark to me).

It's also a good lesson on the importance of not rushing to judgment.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, thank you James (and thank you for continuing to bring us Phase II!).

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Some good discussion is coming out of this thread. If nothing else, I'm learning that we're moving the director credit for "Kitumba" to the end of the episode instead of placing it at the opening like with TOS and our other episodes.

Personally, it's a challenging thread for me to moderate. I want to facilitate and foster discussion as I have here for years; I want to make sure that the discussion doesn't get extreme and that it remains, well, moderate. But I also want to support my fellow Phase II producers in no longer wanting to discuss some issues.

I'd like to recuse myself from moderator actions in this thread. I've asked the other TrekBBS moderators to take a peek at the thread and to insert themselves as necessary. I defer to their judgment on whether or not this thread needs any intervention. They will be better able than I am to determine if we have "concern trolling," or if, rather, we just have some people with resolve who have a contrary position.

RCAM likes this.
  10. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too bad about Origins, that's one I'm really looking forward to. Keep up the good work!

11. PonyHorton

PonyHorton Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wait'll you see some of my latest matte shots for Kitumba.

You'll just DIE!

12. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I don't want to die - I want to watch all of Kitumba :)

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That presumes that I only run into this on this forum.

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can I just jump in here to say I admired the VFX shots of the Klingon armada very much? :D Excellent work.

15. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Thanks to David for his excellent input here. Whether it is on his Facebook page or on a forum, David continues to show me why he is such a great writer. It isn't just that he can write a great screenplay or novel, he can just flat out WRITE.

Also, thanks to James for clearing up the credit issue. I wasn't going to answer that since I had no input into that.

And I wish we could get Origins finished as it is Captain Garth's debut!

As to the question about Sol 7 and the edit of Kitumba. I was fortunate to be introduced to Mark Lewis by Richard Hatch. Mark is a composer, editor, sound editor and all around post production guru. He serves as Post Production Supervisor on Axanar and has graciously volunteered to edit Phase II.

Alec

16. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Professional and classy. Thank you for the response.

Good luck with your projects!

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. Cawley. :)

18. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Yes it's a lot of hard work. At the end of last year there was a trailer released saying that Kitumba and Origins will be released in 2013. But it was probably assumed at the time that would be feasible.

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You don't participate in forum boards because people ask questions? Or is it just because people ask questions you guys can't/won't/or don't want to answer?

Praise Jesus! Thank you for FINALLY answering what should have been one of the easiest questions in the history of questions. I get that you guys got burned, but it's really gratifying to see you guys taking the high road. "You've restored my father's faith..." and all that.

Eagerly looking forward to the rest of Kitumba, Origins, and Axanar. Thank you for taking the time to respond here James. I do appreciate it.

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It's probably because of so many fights that break out, doubleohfive. One faction doesn't want to let things drop or another "wants to be right instead of happy."