Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TrekGirl, May 24, 2013.

1. TrekGirl

TrekGirl Ensign Red Shirt

I hope this wasn't already posted on here somewhere, but here goes.

James Cawley posted the following on his Facebook page:

Here as a surprise for all My friends and Phase II fans IS A SPECIAL LINK TO VIEW act one of "KITUMBA"! It has not been color corrected yet, but I hope it will wet your appetite for the rest! Please remember to visit my youtube channel and view the Teaser first, so that the story makes sense to you !!lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfFggXwE8oQ

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Huzzah!

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Klingon guy - Ksia? - reminds me a little of Christopher Lloyd. :cool:

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah.

5. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Does he have a Scottish accent? :rofl:

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait to see the whole thing. Seemed for a while they were coming out with a new ep every few months and now..........

7. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Well, I know there were issues involving Kitumba and hard drives that caused serious delays in its release. IIRC it had to be completely recut and partially reshot.

I'm not in the know by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see both Kitumba and Bread & Savagery released within the next twelve to eighteen months.

8. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to the rest!

9. pymfan2000

pymfan2000 Lieutenant Red Shirt

So excited for the rest of the episode!

10. TrekGirl

TrekGirl Ensign Red Shirt

The past few days have been some exciting ones for Star Trek fan productions. I'm a big fan of both Phase II and STC, just as I am a big fan of James and Vic. It was actually being a fan of Vic's voice acting & music that led me to discover James Cawley and this whole world of fan productions in 2009. The panel they did together with Gil Gerard was so EPIC. I've always loved TOS & was amazed at what these people were doing! Although I lament that they went separate ways, we ended up with two awesome productions. It's still hard for me not to imagine the possibilities, had they continued to combine their considerable forces and love of Star Trek. Different personalities, but both larger than life, magnetic people. And both so full of WIN :techman:

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Exactly (minus the personal experience which I don't have).

As a fan, I love the fact that both productions exist so there is more for me to enjoy. And it's not just Phase II and Continues, there's all the other TOS-era stuff out there that I want to see when and if it gets completed. (Fan films are always an if before the first episode comes out, it's hard work)

Phase II
    Continues
    Farragut
    Begins
    Excalibur
    Axanar
    Ajax
    Ironsides

Look at all those projects, and at least three groups with standing full-scale bridge sets, and they're just what's out there for TOS and earlier; and three projects have passed the first episode hump. If even half the other four make it, we're entering a golden age.

It's a great time to be a TOS-era fan.

12. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Consider my appetite whetted, Trek Girl! I'm avoiding any other story elements until it's completed and ready for viewing!

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Nice!

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was great! K'Sia was awesome!

15. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing. Gil Gerard!

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Great stuff.

17. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hm, I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled because of the high quality of the first Continues episode and even the earlier Phase II efforts, but this first act didn't quite work for me, personally. The dialog-heavy scenes in the transporter room and during the dining seem much too long and ridden with clumsy exposition. Also, Ksia's costume looks really ill-fitting and especially his dialog seemed too quiet and not really well edited.

Here's hoping some of this will be fixed in a tighter edit. :(

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agree with the sentiment that the scenes are too talky. Saw the unofficial release of this episode and the dialogue is clunky throughout, and the scenes are filled with much more "telling" and less emphasis on actually "showing." Every scene with Ksia feels like an infodump of backstory and they are painful to watch.

However, not only are the scenes overly talky, but they are overwritten and the dialogue isn't interesting or how people actually talk.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  19. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The main challenge we had to face was being faithful to the original source material while simultaneously trying to make the necessary changes.

The late John Meredyth Lucas (who wrote four episodes of TOS) wrote a very interesting episode about the Klingons for the aborted Phase II television series back in 1977. So all his interesting stuff about Klingons predates anything that we learned about them from the not-yet-envisioned motion pictures or The Next Generation.

We could have made the changes we thought were necessary to his never-actually-quite-finished script, and we actually did make some changes, but if we deviated too much, then it would no longer be John Meredyth Lucas' "Kitumba" (and folks in the know were really interested in seeing his vision realized.) But we also wanted to honor and do justice to 25+ years of Klingon lore that the franchise has built up since that time. We already get e-mail from people saying "How dare you change a single word of Lucas' great original 'Kitumba' script!" Conversely, we get angry letters from people that say "Gowron said in 'Rightful Heir' that there have been no emperors for 300 years; how can you possibly ignore that comment?" As a result, despite or more likely because of our attempted balancing act, the script which, like all of John Meredyth Lucas' scripts, was kind of expository-heavy to begin, probably has too much yadda yadda yadda dialogue, trying to reconcile Lucas' Klingons with 25+ years of Klingons.

Nevertheless, I'm proud of our (still as yet unfinished) episode, even if it doesn't actually become our new high-water mark.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, having read a JML Kitumba draft one can argue that the episode did alter the story rather significantly as is, first by crunching a 2-parter down to 1, adding characters, etc. etc. Given that, tightening and trimming the dialog wouldn't have been any bigger sin.