Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WANT!!! :eek:

Seriously, though, THIS is what I'm excited for: not a bunch of Enterprises or Reliants that've been done a million times, but these wonderful ships that haven't been done in miniature form before. I really hope the Sabre, Steamrunner, and even the elusive Norway eventually get some treatment too.

3. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I would predict they will out sell the "hero ships" as well. I sell Trek merchandise and that is the pattern I usually see with secondary characters and ships.

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet time and time (and time, and time, and time, and TIME!) again they re-release the damn hero ships.

WHY?! :wtf:

Honestly, I could live my entire life without buying another version of any of the Enterprise's or a Klingon BoP. If I wasn't such an OCD collector, I'd re-sell the early issue "hero" ships or something.

Anyway I'm just glad we're finally getting this stuff.

Maybe if the "rare" ships sell super well they'll re-up and do extra ships. :D

Do we have a confirmed master list yet?

5. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Only for #1-30: http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/ship-order.html

And they certainly will "re-up and do extra ships" if they hit whatever their sales targets are. That's the way their Marvel figurines collection worked - they announced a block of issues, and then announced an "extension" periodically - and it hit #200, plus 20 "Specials", seven oversized-figurine "Mega-Specials", four double-packs and a few variants/exclusives.

6. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Something tells me they'll produce a shuttle sub-set somewhere down the line.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved the Marvel Figurine collection. Got a bit desperate for characters post #100, but makes me REALLY wish Eaglemoss would tackle a Trek characters collection. Imagine the possibilities!

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I hope this set does just as good or better then the Marvel set.

9. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect it might. They did suddenly develop overwhelming demand for the line. How many countries are they letting order subscriptions now?

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, everyone best tells your trekkie friends and family. The more people who subscribe, the better. I'd be thrilled if we got to the 100 or 200 stage with such a thing. Trek sure has enough ships. Even if they did recycle a few. (Like that triangular freighter from TNG that was still being used as a digital model into Enterprise? LOL - they even made a micro-machine of one variation of it!) - the Numiri ship (google trek micro machines numiri to see) :D

11. Johnny Rico

Can someone with Issues # 2 and #3, please post some pictures of them? I'd like to see what the true color of NCC-1701 is. Is it blueish or is it grey? I'd also like to see how well the BoP is painted up. There seemed to be some difference depending on what on-line pictures you looked at.

12. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

A very flat, neutral grey.

[I had one more look at it in the shop today. Just how badly they did was hammered home by their own centre spread, which showed a top-down view of the ship with the "aztec" patterning and not even a sign of the deep grid cut into the attached model's saucer. If you haven't already subscribed to or otherwise prebought this one and don't feel the need to be 100% completist, I'd skip this one and wait for the E-A if you want a Constitution-refit. Hopefully, they'll resculpt and work on a better paint job.]

13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The Trek Collective has posted a new pic of three Akiras together here.

Maybe it's just me, or a trick of perspective or something, but do the nacelles look correct to everyone? I thought that the pylons were angled enough that the nacelles were below the saucer, but here they appear to be above the saucer. Or perhaps I'm misremembering the original design?

I guess it's hard to tell from that angle...

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The nacelles are supposed to stop at almost exactly the same level as the bottom of the saucer...those look about right to me? It's hard to tell for sure.

15. Johnny Rico

I'm already subscribed. So what you're saying is that the pic of the model in the Magazine looks better than the actual model? Or what? I didn't quite understand what you're saying there.

16. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

The centre spread of the magazine is a large, top-down picture of either the filming model or a reasonable approximation thereof.

While the Enterprise-D model from issue 1 didn't look too bad next to the big picture, with only the too-dark nacelle cap colour (which is clear blue plastic overpainted with clear red on their model) and a couple of small details being unpainted looking wrong, the Enterprise-refit picture shows up the flat grey of the #2 model quite horribly. In addition, their E-r model has a deep circular grid cut into the top surface of the saucer which not only looks poor in its own right, but which isn't visible in the large image.

17. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Somewhere buried on their Facebook page is a response to a message asking why the TMP-refit is a flat gray instead of the aztecking, and they mention it is because they were unable to get it to come out correctly in time and decided to just leave it gray. They go on to mention it should be fine on the A-refit later on down the line.

18. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

19. Johnny Rico

OK, they're having some paint job decision issues with the Jem'hadar Battle Cruiser. They're not sure how it's painted, so here are two samples of what they've done. Any of you all know the correct paint scheme?

[​IMG]

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hmmm. That's a good question. I'm thinking the bottom one is a little more accurate as far as the battle cruiser is concerned. The top color looks more appropriate for the attack "bug" ship. Then again, color, like scale, has never been Trek's strong suit. Everyone thinks the Romulan Warbird is green, but the filming model was really very gray, with just a hint of green. These ships were lit in such a way to give them different color temperatures. Federation ships often seemed to look blue, Klingon ships gray and green, etc. Of course, CG ships had a different set of coloration, so it's difficult to nail it down. When building models, people sometimes tend towards how they "appeared" on-screen, rather than real life, so maybe the top one is more accurate. :shrug: