Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have tahini, but everything else is in stock. I now have a recipe for garlic hummus! Yay me.:techman:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember the garlic increases over time.. so if it's not quite garlicky enough it will be tomorrow :D I like it with lots of lemon myself.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That fruit salad recipe does feed 12 though :). So as long as you don't eat it all in one go. And could probably skip the cream cheese...

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Sector7, definitely get some tahini, in my opinion it's the best part! It's actually not too tough to find. Easy as pie in Seattle and NYC, but when my mom moved to a tiny town I was worried they might not have it. The Safeway by her carried it, though. You can get a big orange tin of it for about $7, usually in the "ethnic" food aisle or by the peanut butter.

Also, hummus us great for experimentation. I love it plain, but occasionally I like to throw something else in the blender with it. a few kalamata olives are delicious mixed in, as well as dried tomatoes or roasted red pepper. Have fun!

Personally I like just a dash of lemon, but I love garlic so much that my hummus will make your mouth peel!

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

They say the more garlic you eat, the less you smell of it. I hope that's true, since I get through at least a bulb a week.

6. thestrangequark

I smell of light citrus and rainbows no matter what I eat.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I smell vaguely of ozone and freezing fluid. Must be the science.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Oh, shut up. You're Italian. You smell of garlic and only garlic and you know it.

9. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, that's me who smell...uh oh, wait, nothing ;)

10. iguana_tonante

Actually, the use of garlic in Italian cuisine is vastly overrated overseas. In fact, I found that most foreign people trying to cook Italian overdo the garlic, compensating with bulk what they lack in finesse and balance.

I hardly ever use it, and only in specific recipes.

11. thestrangequark

I saw on QI that the ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums, and that's not so bad. And Stephen Fry said it, so it must be so.

12. thestrangequark

You've summed up every Italian American chain restaurant perfectly.

13. iguana_tonante

I have long held the opinion that Italian-American food is not Italian at all.

Beside, I vastly prefer onions to garlic, especially the cipolla rossa di Tropea. And then you have scallions, shallots, and leeks. Honestly, garlic is overrated.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  14. thestrangequark

^Garlic overrated? Now you've gone too far.

I do enjoy a leek, though. Especially a leek soup. And a Walla Walla sweet onion will satisfy a craving, for sure. Actually, I have memories of eating the green onions right out of the ground in my mother's garden as a toddler. I do enjoy an onion.

15. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

16. thestrangequark

Now that looks delicious, and almost healthy. I don't know why they'd ask for a whole cup of brown sugar replacement!, though. They only call for a cup and 1/2 of oats and they want that much sugar? The pumpkin is already going to have some sweetness. I'd say skip the brown sugar replacement altogether and throw in just a tablespoon of real brown sugar instead. It tastes better, and you really shouldn't need more than that. Other than that, it sounds really yummy. You might want to add some walnuts.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks bad to me, canned pumpkin and a huge load of sugar. It's basically a pudding dessert, not a good breakfast. Make it with no sugar and just add a bit later if you need it. Some plain yogurt and some honey drizzled on it would be good.

18. thestrangequark

^I never buy the kind of pumpkin that has added sugar, I didn't even think of how much would be loaded into that!

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have never seen canned pumpkin in Australia.

20. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Just make plain oatmeal, add fruit (fresh or dried) and nuts as desired, drizzle some honey or maple syrup* on it, add yogurt or milk as desired.

ETA: *real maple syrup, not Aunt Jemima, which is just corn syrup with maple favoring.