Hell on Wheels Season 2 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by auntiehill, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It seems the buildup is for the battle between the Sioux and the newly armed Railroad workers, but it seems that's going to happen a lot sooner than the finale so either it's going to be delayed or something happens to pick up the rest of the season's story.

I will admit I'm surprised at how they've made Mr Toole so much more likable than Elam. They really switched the two around and it didn't feel forced or anything.

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

The camp is a definitely on a slow boil---not sure where and when things will finally explode. We have the Swede, plotting away in the background as a master manipulator, the very odd love triangle, the tension with the workers and the over-present threat of attack from the Sioux. There's also the preacher's family drama and Irish brothers to be considered. There's no tight focus, so it does seem a bit chaotic, just like the camp itself. On the other hand, there's no central plot to get really invested in--like last season, where we had Bohannon's quest and his uneasy friendship with Elam, confiding with the railroad and Lily's story. Right now, we're just waiting for a bomb to go off and there are about four or five possible bombs to choose from.

It just feels like things haven't gotten really "started" yet. I'm still very interested in the show but it hasn't really the great moments that last season had---at least not yet.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Also, now that Bohannon's quest is over (he most likely has already killed everyone responsible for his wife's death, Johnson was just BSing about the Sgt) his character lacks any real motivation or goals. He's only there because Durant has basically enslaved him.

4. auntiehill

Yeah, he's rather lost, at the moment. He's not sure what to do with himself, so the show feels that way a bit, too.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Wow, that was a good episode and nice way of wrapping up the bandits from the premiere. I thought some would stick around as new hired slaves like Bohannon, TBH.

I wonder what the Swede's up to with the Reverend though. What's he think one disgraced Preacher can do now that Cullen's power and popularity over the Camp has skyrocketed?

6. auntiehill

Looks like the Preacher will give the weapons to the Indians, and start the "war" the Swede is waiting for. Bohannon, I imagine, will end up being "sheriff" and taking Elam's job.

Pretty sure Durant will survive, but in what condition? Will Lily stay to take care of him or will he be forced to leave camp for good? I'm guessing he'll stay, but who knows?

7. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Beaten to the punch by Auntiehill!

( I was taken out of this ep by Hubby exclaiming "Hey, its a torture O'Brien episode!...oh, wait...)

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Where did the Swede get those weapons in the first place? Were they the ones Cullen wanted for the workers?

9. auntiehill

YUP. That's why, when Durant said "Arm the men," Elam went to the padlocked shed, only to find it was already empty.

10. auntiehill

*bump*

Hoooooooooooooollly Crap. :eek:

Well, two more characters exit the show. And who knows if and when Durant will be back--or in what shape? I think he'll return, somehow.

Man, that last scene was sad; I actually teared up there at the end.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Durant will be back, Colm Meany is too much fun to get rid of. And he's at least owning up to his personal failings thanks to a near-death experience and might end his thing with Lily to atone for it.

No one knows the Swede was behind this whole incident, and the Father took that secret to his grave. But the build-up to the inevitable battle with the Sioux is still happening...

12. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Mrs Durant is in three episodes this season, so there's no question Durant will be around.

A good episode in a season that I think is actually slightly stronger than the first.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Unless Mrs. Durant is coming out to take over for her dead husband.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be intriguing, but I think the last episode - with its emphasis on Durant's need to apologize and make amends for his behavior - was too clearly setting up an extended interaction. But if I'm wrong, I think your suggestion woud be a really interesting development.

15. sojourner

I don't know, Lilly's good bye at the end of the episode seemed pretty final.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Lily said goodbye to Durant, as in "I know we aren't together anymore"? Must've missed that.

Why did Ruth stop loving Joseph by the way? It wasn't because he stabbed the Father.

17. auntiehill

^Because it was pretty obvious that they could never marry and settle down. I think deep down she still loves him but is trying to force herself to find a man who could actually be her husband. She had a small conversation with the one of the Irish brothers, where he said virtually the same thing, and she didn't disagree.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This particular thing puzzles me the most. In season 1, I got the impression that there was more to these particular murders than simple late wartime blue-on-gray pillaging. I can't remember precise dialog, but there seemed to be an implied ritualistic, almost supernatural motive, behind these murders. IIRC, one of the lower-ranked Federals involved mentioned a demon or devil. Or maybe it was Ted Levine's character (the ringleader). Although, perhaps it was nothing more than simple Victorian-era language usage. Can't be sure. :shrug:

There always felt (to me at least) that there was something deeper going on surrounding the events of his family's death, the pursuit of which, through clues would lead Bohannon to a deeper conspiracy. Sadly, what has come since then has seemed quite mundane by comparison.

19. sojourner

Yeah, I never got a supernatural undertone to this show.

20. auntiehill

Me either. Not in the least.