After Star Trek 3 would you want an immediate reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Aug 18, 2014.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not really sure why everyone is under the assumption this group will be done after the next film. They're all still young, and, as long as the franchise continues to succeed, there's no reason to think any of them won't want to continue to do it. The only cast-member who might be "too big for Star Trek" is Saldana, but she seems to really enjoy her role as the current queen of sci-fi. As such, I have to think she loves playing one of the pioneering roles for women.

2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I concur, I don't think anyone in this cast has really broken out to the point they couldn't be enticed back.

Assuming ST2016 doesn't bomb, my guess is they'll all return for a fourth outing. However, a fifth might be pushing it, based on an "every three years" schedule that wouldn't be until 2022, at which point the concept would be 13 years old, and probably in need of some freshening up.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe this cast will stay on, maybe not. Maybe they'll start to ask for so much money that it won't be worth the trouble to keep them on. I don't see any of them individually becoming as associated with the roles as the original cast.

They're all good in these roles, but they can be replaced. Then they'll continue to do other projects and be good in them, too.

If we're lucky, Trek will continue on the big screen for the long haul no matter how many different actors play the iconic roles.

4. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

Yeah if anything I think Saldana's going to pushing for some more action sequences for her to do :)

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They might also be waiting to see how Star Wars does. That is usually an indicator of how sci-fi can do with theaters and other materials give how large Disney/Lucasfilm are spreading it out this time around.

6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no reason to believe the cast will decide to leave. It's the fact that the studio waited so long to even get started on the third movie that makes me wonder if Paramount really even wants to make more, which is why I also say that if the third movie is more successful than expected, we probably will see a fourth. If it just meets expectations, though? I don't know. Maybe they'll go ahead, maybe they won't.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would not mind seeing STAR TREK get rebooted again. In fact, it may assuage the disgruntled fanbase, if PARAMOUNT were to do so. Whichever way they go after STAR TREK "3," I'm prepared for it and I will be there, adding my pittance to the billion dollar take the NuReboot Series will undoubtedly earn and enjoy ...

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like this cast. They're exciting!

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't want another reboot.

In fact I'm not hugely interested in any more Trek at all, but particularly no more reboots.

The only thing that would really interest me is a contnuation/sequel to TNG, DS9 etc. and that's not going to happen.

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Same here, continue this timeline with more movies or a series or nothing

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Marvel's done a much better job with their cinematic universe franchise. So much so that I feel as if the story telling style of nuTrek is done and dated even though movies from the both franchiese are released in the same years. For the same reason, I'm not looking forward to JJ's Star Wars either because it is likely to be in the same style of story telling.

So yeah either reboot or return to the prime universe.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure if I agree. If one was to take the biggest two Marvel movies of the summer and throw them into a blender, JJTrek would poor out.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- No, I don't want another reboot after #3. I want more movies with this cast and believe that this will happen.

- I don't like recasting so I don't want to see any roles recast either. Write them out if it isn't too much trouble.

- My hope is that after a few movies, the cast will be ready for a regular series. Hey, I can dream.

- If a reboot is absolutely necessary at some point, set it in yet another timeline in the current universe. Doing that with JJ Trek was a brilliant way to go. They did a reboot and kept Trek's continuity intact. You really can have your cake and eat it too. A third reboot would have to have a radical twist though just to keep things new and different.

- I wouldn't mind seeing The Next Generation in this timeline.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You do realize the characters might be interesting this time? :p

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I grew up with them so I think they're interesting already. I wouldn't mind seeing what someone else can do with them though and have no doubt that they'll be a lot less 'Berman-esque'.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just having a bit of fun. :techman:

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Whatever they do, hopefully they'll keep the existing sets instead of starting from scratch. And no more location shoots in breweries or factories representing parts of the ship, please. I want to see a big film set engine room containing familiar touches, as they did with the bridge.

18. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They could just as easily setup a new ship and crew for a series set at the same time as the current Star Trek films and let someone else beside Kirk and Spock have adventures in the 23rd Century.

They could even give it impending doom by having it set on USS Constellation, USS Exeter, USS Excaliber or USS Defiant. They wouldn't go the USS Intrepid route because the cost of Vulcan makeup for the whole cast every day would be expensive, though it is probable that there is no fully Vulcan crewed starship now that Vulcan is gone.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would not mind another reboot, especially if it did a clean break from the original continuity, and did not acknowledge it. I doubt that will happen, unless Ron Moore is able to get in there, but it would be an interesting take. Too risky, so Paramount probably won't go for it.

If you gave me a reboot with Captain April or Pike in the original continuity, evolving from the Kelvin era in to the Constitution, or something a long those lines, it could be interesting. Another facet that could be fun would be a more distant future, such as the 26th century, and going to another galaxy. A bit Stargate reminiscent but it could make nods to the old while creating new territory to explore.

20. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not particularly arsed, since big screen product is more or less losing me anyway. It's getting mighty hard to justify spending twenty- to twenty-five bucks a pop for what's being served up in the multiplex just generally when there's much more attractive and interesting product to be had on the small screen. Anything they do would have to be pretty special (meaning more than just having an actual plot) for me to spend money on it.

I don't know if the current crew will continue or not, though it would be nice to see them get a really interesting story to sink their teeth into before they go. But I think what's increasingly likely to happen is that CBS-Trek (which is reliant on the "domestic" market) and Paramount-Trek (increasingly reliant on the international market) are going to diverge into separate streams, one tailored to television and the other tailored to the tentpole big-screen "thrill ride" model. Which if it happens is cool by me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014