POLL: Babylon 5 or Stargate SG-1?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 12, 2013.

?

Which show did you like more?

1. Babylon 5

68.1%
  2. Stargate SG-1

31.9%
  1. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love both, although if forced to pick one at gunpoint, I'd say Babylon 5. It's worth watching at least twice, because some events that are set up during season 1 happen in season 4! Admittedly it's a bit slow to get going in season 1 as all the characters and their cultures are introduced. Sadly season 5 is a bit flawed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it more than most other shows on TV, but it feels tacked-on, which is only fair given that they thought the show would be canceled after the 4th season for the longest time, and were forced to compress events that were intended for the 5th season into the fourth. The fourth season finale is IMO rather blah (the show finale was shot as the last episode of the 4th season).

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably not.

Neither Valen, G'Quan or G'kar were Vorlons.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't pick. If I had to pick or be cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, probably Stargate: SG-1, simply because there's more of it. But both are worth watching.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Both shows are great. I picked Babylon 5 because it was unique and innovative-- a five-season novel for television where each episode was a chapter that built toward a predetermined ending. SG-1 was a more traditional, straightforward adventure series, but it was top quality stuff-- definitely not fluff-- the stories, characters, drama, humor and world building were all terrific.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

My Stargate SG-1 complete set just arrived in mail. HOLY CRAP! THIS THING IS HEAVY! I have no doubt it could kill someone if it actual fell on top of somebody's head! :eek:

The packaging inside really sucks in terms holding dvds though, thankfully only one of the discs were loose, it was a special features one.

I will HAVE to buy a dvd/cd binder to hold all 54 dvds today, instead of keeping it in the paper box which could end up easily scratching the discs. I'll keep the box only for display purposes! :techman:

The ONLY thing I know about this show is that I remember catching the opening credits one time, and though the theme music for it was great.

I guess I'll have to decide which show to start first in the next few days...

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

7. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

this my be one of the hardest decisions I have ever made since they are both my favorite tv shows of all time and I only recently started watching them. As a big fan of sci fi I recently watched all of season one of stargate sg1 and arguably I have heard sg1 doesnt get good till season 2 I found my self enjoying it greatly (I am currently awaiting season 2). Babylon 5 on the other hand I just watched the first 3 episodes of the first season and since I have heard that most people feel season one of the show was slow and like sg1 didnt get good till season 2 I actualy enjoyed them even if they were a little on the slow side.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SG1 for me. Couldn't even make it through the first season of B5.

9. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you havent heard this already i would suggest starting from season 2 of babylon 5 if you cant make it through the first season. The first season is slow but in season 2 after they got rid of all the bad characters it really got good and stayed that way unitil season 5. The best seasons are seasons 3 and 4.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gah, don't skip season 1! You miss so much! You miss Sinclair!

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Babylon 5 by a mile. Yeah S1 sucks, but it gets much better. SG1 has a decent first season, and 2-5ish are pretty good, but not exactly transcendent and then it spends the rest of its existence spiraling down the drain with a chaser of crappy spinoffs. Not that B5's spinoff is particularly good but hey it's at least mercifully short.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crusade should have gone on for another 9 seasons, it would have ruled the galaxy.

13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What? And miss Michael O'Hare!?

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst it is true S1 of B5 is on the weak side, it lays the ground work for what is to come.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I definitely don't advocate skipping S1. Shitty as it is. Though you could totally skip The Gathering. Nobody is going to miss that... right?

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst I would say watch it all a must watch list of B5 S1 must be something like

The Gathering
    Midnight on the Firing Line
    The Parliament of Dreams
    Mind War
    And The Sky Full of Stars
    Signs And Portents
    A Voice In The Wilderness (2 parter)
    Babylon Squared
    Chrysalis

Sure some of the other episodes have stuff in them pays off later. And others might add to a core S1 listing of episodes that are must see.

17. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He shouldn't skip any, as that is a lazy and dishonest way of viewing the story.

Also, Believers is a brilliant episode and shouldn't be skipped. It's the episode that really got me hooked.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I agree and said as much.

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While there are episodes a majority of people dislike, there's no telling what a person will think of the episodes. Judging from posts I've read around here recently, there are people who love Superman Returns, "Endgame" (Voyager's finale), X-Men: Last Stand, etc. We tend to think that just because a vocal majority dislikes something, everyone should.

Personally, while I wouldn't rate episodes such as "Infection" and "TKO" as B5's best, I do think they are decent. They should be watched at least once and then the new viewer can decide if they want to rewatch it when they rewatch the series.

In trying to decide between the shows, I think it's important to make clear that Babylon 5 should be watched in order and in full. Stargate SG-1 can be watched by skipping around a bit.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I agree. I like the first season of B5 just fine.