What is civlian life like in the Federation?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Civ001, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would like to know, what is civilian life like living in the Federation of Star Trek? Mostly in the 24th century?

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

From what Joseph Sisko's restaurant showed us, just like today's people but in the future.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Good tea and nice houses.

:)

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Applying to scientific advisory boards. Achieving your lifelong dream of serving on scientific advisory boards. Poetry.

5. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    It would depend on your point of view, I suppose. For some, it's the best damned utopia evar; for others, it's boring as whale shit.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Civilian life in the Federation future of the 24th century is so dull and boring, they don't make tv shows about it. Everyone has a place to live and enough to eat and enough to live comfortably. It's like you grow up and then spend the rest of your life in retirement doing anything you want, without ever working a day in your life.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As Douglas Adams said: Quite interesting in parts, but no substitute for the real thing. ;)

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Have your own holodeck and do whatever you want all day long. Probably sex with celebrities. Not bad really.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Could be tiring, though.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Or holo-addiction worthy.

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Even if the celebrity is Kirk or Riker?

12. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    I would imagine, Civilian life in the 24th Century within the Federation can arguably be compared to that of Vulcan ideals. Human ideas and asperations are no longer fueled by popularity and fame, or the acquisition of wealth. This allows all people to pursue courses and careers most suited to their needs, wants and abilities.
    When everyone has no holds to what they can do, and since jobs do not pay and everyone benefits the same, people find gratification and enjoyment in what they do.
    People still work jobs such as labor and construction. There are still doctors and lawyers, teachers, sanitation workers, engineers, politicians, drivers, artists, and all other jobs.
    By this time, there would no longer by any Armies, Navies, or any type of military, besides law enforcement/police, left on Earth. No need for them. Instead there is Starfleet. Jobs in Security, Engineering, Sciences, Medical, and more. And all these jobs would be on the cutting edge of their fields. Many people would want to work in Starfleet. Many if for the very reason to add excitement in their lives for those not so complacent of life on Earth and willing to take the risk to be at the forefront of their career choice.
    With everyone having the same overall goal, to help advance humanity!

Im sure there could be a lot of problems with things being this way. But with how Star Trek has portrayed and hinted that this has been accomplished, I imagine it's fairly close.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cars fly and the buildings are insanely tall. But yeah, it seems to be the world we live in (Into Darkness even had school buses), although 24th school kids seem to be indoctrinated with bollocks about humanity having evolved into a superior form of life.

14. JirinPanthosa

I do think that most people's jobs are in the scientific, engineering, academic, creative fields. But that doesn't mean their lives are boring. They probably party all the time in their time off. You think we have a lot of entertainment with Netflix and such, they have all that only with 400 years of media at their fingertips.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It mostly consists of wearing horrible looking clothes

16. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I would hope that people are smarter in the future, but I'm also not getting my hopes up.

17. F. King Daniel

What about the waiters in Joseph Sisko's restaurant, or in all the bars and clubs we've seen in Trek? The poor guy cleaning the carpet at Starfleet HQ in STII? The Trekverse isn't automated enough for most people to be scientists or academics.

18. JirinPanthosa

Joseph Sisko considers his restaurant to be a creative outlet for him.

I tend to think that all those things I mentioned are very difficult fields to enter, so people enter service jobs at the low levels in those fields in order to work their way up to the top.

If you think about those kinds of fields today, they are the jobs that mostly go to people who are born rich and had parents to pay for expensive education. Now imagine everyone were born rich and everybody had access to those levels of education, imagine how much more competitive those top jobs would be. You would need to prove yourself at the low levels to be accepted at the high levels, nobody would have it handed to them. So they start out as waiters because they want to become the head chef. They start out as low ranking maintenance workers because they want to build starships.

19. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

Those janitorial jobs were 23rd century. There were apparently many advancements between TOS and the late TNG. Replication, much better computers, holographic contructs etc. The EMH was repurposed to clean plasma conduits and exocomps could handle nearly any mechanical repair. What was left that a machine could not do?

People found meaningfull work in making wine it not scrubbing toilets.

20. F. King Daniel

The top positions will always be very finite. The world needs more people to do the menial stuff than to have the higher spots.