Movies that OFFEND you

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Konata Izumi, May 24, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the mother has the right reaction: giving minors super suits for fighting purposes (specifically, as seen in that clip, getting shot at and blowed up) is sick. So it makes no sense for her to do that at some point between the city battle climax and the school-race coda.

Movie wants to have it both ways.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

This one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Četverored

Apart from being a bad movie (directed by a guy also responsible for this little gem), it's also a particularly distasteful piece of Nazi-fascistic revisionist propaganda. Fortunately, it's by now mostly forgotten.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One has to wonder how one can stumble upon such an exotic piece of crap in the first place. Didn't even knew they did films in Croatia.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I saw it on Croatian TV back in 1999. It's actually available online.

George Lucas' Red Tails was partly filmed in Croatia, IIRC. Game of Thrones is still being shot here. As for actual Croatian movies and TV shows, yeah, those are being made too, although they're so bad, that I wished they weren't.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe he is thinking Meet the Robinsons.

An Ayn Rand attempt to explain that there is no reason to blame one percenters--that people choose to be poor, and that one should never bash a scuzzball employer--only gov't of course.

So I hate Meet The Robinsons--in that it's ethos calls for one to ignore legitimate complaints. I also disliked this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pursuit_of_Happyness

Most folks who are poor don't have a nice scanner to sell. The fact that even a brilliant man was homeless wasn't proof of how great our system is--but exactly the opposite.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain America The Winter Soldier offends me. Instead of them having confidence in their story, and even their genre, they had to cave in to fanboys everywhere by giving us a third act that felt like they needed to cave to the fanboys who purchase tickets and they had to make it play like Avengers 1.5.

Oh I'm sorry: The correct title for these would be Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Marvel's The Avengers 1.5.

Ugh.. gotta make sure we brand this shit, so we know who made it. There's a bottom line here, after all!

7. JarodRussell

I absolutely love your crusade against the Marvel films.

8. Showdown

Showdown Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's what I get from the Incredibles. This is just my opinion.

- Hiding who you are is bad. Whether a tomboyish girl must behave how society says girls should behave, a person hiding in the closet out of fear, a black student speaks properly ridiculed for acting white, or anyone with a hobby, intrest, or talent they hide out of fear of ridicule, are all bad. If you are good at something, hell, great at something, you want to share, show it, take pride in it.

- Everyone is special makes no one special. This confused me at first. Looking back, that statement was preceeded with this "Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we gotta be like everyone else." This goes back to hiding who they are. Fit in, and just say everyone is special. Then no one is really special then. As for Syndrome, everyone being super makes no one super. I don't think it's about equality. It's like athletes using steroids. If everyone uses it, then everyone is on a leveled playing field, and that's good, right? Wrong.

- One complaint I heard about the Incredibles was that Mr Incredible don't like Buddy (Syndrome) because he has no powers. Not true. He is friends Edna Mode, and she has no powers at all. Watching the movie again, Buddy is really a rotten jerk. At the beginning, Bob told Buddy he had posed for pictures and signed everything Buddy asked him to, but he don't want a sidekick. Buddy never ever listens, even when Bob tries to tell him there's a bomb attached to him.

As for the some people are more special thing. The world is complicated. Some homeless people are just down on their luck, and need a helping hand. Some are addicts or have mental illness. Some are lost, and need a direction or someone to show them the way out. Some are just lazy and need a swift kick in the rear. Same with the rich. Some inherit it, some get lucky, some work very hard it, some commit crimes for wealth. Superman is born with powers, Batman made his gadgets, and Spiderman got his powers by accident. Saying ALL rich people are evil or good is like saying ALL poor people are lazy drunks, or ALL girls should like dolls, or should like sports.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I have a hard time worrying over the alleged evils of escapist entertainment like the Marvel movies. People have been making those kind of the-sky-is-falling arguments for decades about pretty much every pop culture fad.

And I have a hard time seeing why it's such a bad thing that the movies are using a bunch of bright colors. Isn't a visual medium supposed to be visually stimulating?

You don't have to like it but it doesn't mean that society is doomed. :rolleyes:

Going to the original topic, I'm very difficult to offend. Even when I vehemently disagree with a movie's viewpoint or agenda, I'm still able to at least accept it on its own terms.

That being said, I found portions of the original "MASH" to be extremely offensive. In particular, the way that the "heroes" so ruthlessly humiliated Maj. Houlihan was absolutely appalling! Especially when her only apparent sin was that she didn't instantly fall into bed with the guys like every other nurse did.

For that matter, it seemed like the main reason why they gave Maj. Burns such a hard time was because he was a Christian. On the TV series, Burns was such an insufferable megalomaniac that he richly deserved everything coming to him. But in the movie, he struck me primarily as a decent man who used his faith to cope with an impossible situation. But because he used faith instead of booze, our "heroes" used this as an excuse to torment him.

On the TV series, Hawkeye and Trapper were the voices of reason and morality. In the movie, they were cruel bullies.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

No, they gave him shit because he was a fucking doofus. I don't remember them running any pranks on father Mulcahy.

BTW, has anyone yet mentioned "The Lovely Bones"?. I admit I haven't actually seen the movie, but I find the whole premise ridiculous, and yes, kinda offensive.

Ebert wrote: "The Lovely Bones" is a deplorable film with this message: If you're a 14-year-old girl who has been brutally raped and murdered by a serial killer, you have a lot to look forward to."

I don't know if he was exaggerating, but it sounds sickening.

11. JarodRussell

Completely forgot about Lovely Bones. The message was kinda irritating. She gets raped and murdered, but it's all fine and well because Afterlife and shit. But same thing applies for “The Ghost“ as well. He gets murdered, and finds eternal peace only by killing his murderers.

But see it for yourself before making up an “i'm offended“ opinion based on hearsay.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

If Ebert wrote it, it's not hearsay. :) I have a record of agreeing with about 95% of his reviews.

And I'm not gonna waste two hours of my life watching something that doesn't interest me, just to earn the right to talk shit about it.

13. JarodRussell

You should, otherwise nobody gives a shit about your "opinion".

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

But I didn't exactly give my opinion about the movie itself, did I? I just called the premise (which I'm familiar with) "kinda offensive" ("kinda"), and asked if other people have brought it up.

BTW, do I need to sit through "Human Centipede" too, just to earn the right to call its premise repulsive?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  15. JarodRussell

See, the thing is, there are millions of people out there who get offended by things they haven't even seen, just because someone else told them it was offending.

By that you imply that you want to talk shit about something whether you have seen it or not.

And that attitude kinda offends me, if you will. ;)

Only talk shit about something you have seen yourself. That goes for ALL aspect of life, not only films.

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Not at all. By that I acknowledge that I can't talk shit about the movie in its entirety, but there's no reason for me not to have an opinion about the basic premise of the movie.

Have you seen Human Centipede? Do you know what it's about? Do you (or did you) really need to sit through that crap (pun intended) to determine that its premise is sickening?

See, I can easily interpret this as an expression of a smug and preachy attitude... Luckily, I know better than that (and don't mistake this for sarcasm, I really do).

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You must have watched a different movie than I did. I guess you missed the part where Burns falsely blames an orderly for a patient's death, and Houlihan takes Burns' side (admittedly, after Trapper punches Frank over it). Burns was an asshole, and Houlihan cared more about regulations than the patients.