DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Got Earth 2 #1 second printing today as well as the Batman Earth One GN.

I'll get that likely when its second printing hits shelves.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Finished the Batman Earth One Graphic Novel. Very good, enjoyed it greatly. Fantastic art, good story, hell this would make for a good movie adaptation.

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DCcomics.com has Swamp Thing as a July 11th release.

They used to both ship the first Wednesday of the month, not sure why they aren't this month.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Then what did I read on Wednesday?

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Swamp Thing" #11 did come out Thursday (Wed in Canada). Not sure what the confusion is about.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not on Diamond's shipping list. It's not available via Comixology. And it's listed as on sale next week on DCcomics.com.

Not saying your store didn't get copies, but you weren't supposed to.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

the comic shops get freeshit and advance copies to suck them into subscriptions for books they don't understand might be good. Sometimes these freebies are instantly put on the shelf because the boss and his/her monkeys have absolutely no interest in the topic.

8. Admiral_Young

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The fascist version is the Earth-X with the Nazi Superman from Final Crisis. The celebrity version is the Earth-8 (the 90s DCU) he has talked about. The pulp versions probably is the Earth that was briefly seen from Superman Beyond with a Doc Savage + Dr. Fate amalgam.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I asked my closest guy and he said no, ST#11 did not come out this week.
    He mentioned the remote possibility of someone getting a shops copy of the advance books, some stores still got those but not his.
    He mentioned regional shipping, and if it was in Canada and you saw it perhaps that was the case.

He agreed they both used to ship at the same time. He then said but hey Wolverine #310 is shipping two weeks before #309 so who knows what's going on in those warehouses.

I read Animal Man #11 last night and Buddy has been given partial shape shifting powers for when he now assumes an animal power. Mediocore story thus far. I've only been reading this long for the ST crossover which I hoped would bring the quality, imo, of Animal Man up.

11. Hound of UIster

It's interesting that they combined the aliens from GM's run with the Time Tailors from SS. More so since they serve similar roles.

12. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

SS meaning Seven Soldiers? I didn't think anything from that series was getting back into continuity anytime soon.

13. Hound of UIster

There is a lot of influences.

Frankenstein who was introduced in SS has his own book.

The revamped Shining Knight is in Demon Knights.

And Manhattan Guardian starred in Action Comics as a member of the JLA of the alternate universe President Superman.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot the Shining Knight (and her horse) - Cornell's been reworking that element of SS in an interesting way. I recall Frankenstein, but he was a member of the Creature Commandos before SS, I think; but his speech patterns are definitely out of Morrison. I wouldn't count the Guardian, necessarily, because there's a pretty long history there, but I take your point. It's a shame not much of the Zatanna series is sneaking in, but her lack of confidence does feel a little like GM's version.

15. Hound of UIster

The Creature Commandos version was a very different Frankenstein. Morrison's version is pretty much a different character.

16. Admiral_Young

Does Multiversity take place in the New 52 though? This has been in development long before the relaunch ever was, but maybe since it deals with characters from different realities this doesn't matter? I've been wondering how the 52'Verse would affect Multiversity.

17. Hound of UIster

Real Answer: Depends on who is writing.

In-Universe: the DCU Earth is the cornerstore of the multiverse. Because it changed presumably some of the other Earths also changed like Earth-2.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What passes for dialogue in the third issue of Earth 2 is abysmal, and Alan Scott's origin could hardly be more gimmicky and obtuse (Garrick's was fairly nifty, but then it was a lift from Hal Jordan's). This has gone south real quick, unless one has a real fannish interest in playing connect-the-dots with the old Earth 2 mythology.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

2009 actually, according to contemporaneous account. DiDio didn't specify which October when he referred to it last year, leading to the erroneous notion that it was more recent.

20. Admiral_Young

Interesting. Had no idea that Rich had been tracking the relaunch for so long (or what would become the relaunch), and he nailed Justice League and who was going to be working on it. We're still waiting for Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman project. I'm guessing he'll get around to doing it once he finishes his Batman run.