Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks guys. I see I was a bit confuesed. I thought the show had already gone through 3 seasons and we were awaiting season 4. But it's only been 2 seasons with 3 about to start.

So far I'm enjoying it immensly. If Almost Human had been this good, it might not now be a bubble show (if not cancelled outright). Nice arc story with "Liberate", nice personal arc for Kiera -- her desire to get back to the future. The only kinda downer for me so far is Carlos. He appears to be another one of those hunky male leads with no acting ability -- and he sorta seems like a bit of a dummy to boot.

Oh well, I can watch around him.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone still watching this? I'm on Episode 4, so far so good, you can start to see how more and more the 2 Alex's are getting different.

3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a marathon of the first two seasons and absolutely LOVED it, I was dying for season 3 to finally air.
    I have to say I think season 3 is a let down and it jumped the shark, not only that I'm pretty much staying confused as to what is going on, at this point I'm just going to let the season play out and marathon that, if it doesn't get any better or less confusing I'm done with it.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Basically they erased everything that happened in the last 2 episodes of season 2. I still don't get why Carlos and Betty went to Julian Randal at the end of season 2 but now in this timeline they both hate each other. It does get confusing but yet interestingly complex.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the end of season two, Vancouver turned into a fascist police state just like Julian had been predicting and Kiera had been expecting but didn't think it worth completely explaining to Carlos.

Killing Esher skewed that timetable, and giving Carlos a Kiera corpse to deal with, muddied the frakk out of his decision making system.

Kiera's future is HORRIBLE!

If she sat down and explained the life debt to Carlos, he would shoot her himself.

"Well, the Governments fucked up. There's was massive depression, everyone was in workcamps and living in kennels (never really thought about it, but Canada/America were probably forced to pay their national debt back to China and Japan faster than they were able to?). The system was broken. Until he corporate bailout, where a conglomerate bought America and Canada's( I'm just assuming that they are one country by that point.) debt off Japan and China (probably at 20 cents on the dollar considering how these debt consolidation things work once a creditor loses faith.) and then decided to ignore the impotent government and recoup their losses directly from each individual citizen in the form of a life debt, that everyone is born with (maybe a million future dollars? It's not clarified, but it's certainly more than someone in the lower middle class can pay back in one life time.), then have interest accrued against that original debt constantly, as well as that debt being the bank account they use to live off, and every year there's a flat fee for still being alive added to their life debt, which makes it no different than taxes, but really it just sounds more evil because really, really bad things happen if you fall behind in your repayments, and you also have to do horrible things to get ahead of your payments, and then you have to pay a massive sum to have children, (Which means massive punishment if you have a child without permission, and probably mobile abortionists hunting unsanctioned breeders.) who have their own life debt immediately as they are born, that parents have to consider paying off before they turn 18 or suddenly they wind up in jail and lobotomised if they don't have an income to match their ever increasing life debt."

Yup.

In the future, people are basically being farmed by the corporations.

In truth, Liber8 took the wrong track when they arrived in the past. They shouldn't have been trying to destroy the corporations who bailed out the country/ies from their depression, they should have been raising the trillions needed using future knowledge to replace the corporate bailout and save the country/ies from the bollocks that would come.

Right now, all they are doing, if they kill every one they plan on killing, is stopping the corporate bailout without putting in any measure to replace it. The money is needed, at the specific time it is given, the strings attached, not so much.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone still watching this show? There's some potential with what happened to the timeline, but the Liberate stuff with Julian is some of the most stupid stuff on TV right now.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's definitely the worst part of the show. It made this parts of this week's episode so hard to get through.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Are we talking about this week's episode on SyFy? Or the episodes from later in the season showing in Canada?

9. Guy Gardener

Canada was on a break last Monday.

I am not fond of the hope you doled out Enterprise is Great.

You broke me diet.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

This week's episode on SyFy. I think the problem for me is that the guy playing Julian is so smarmy it's hard to believe that anyone would follow him at all. I mainly just want to punch him in the face.

11. Guy Gardener

His face got punched a lot in The 100.

It's just this bloody mess now.

No bandaids in the future.

I like the Smarminess.

(The spellcheck is suggesting that I might have meant to say "creaminess" and not "Smarminess".)

It's better than the beginning when he was first directionless and then a dupe.

He kinda knows about timetravel, that future people are ####ing with him, but he hasn't really put it into words enough to reject the concept entirely...

He knows that he is right, and he knows that he can't do wrong.

And that is bad.

"Certainty".

The kid is trouble.

But what the corporations are doing is worse.

12. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm really enjoying Continuum, but I agree the time-traveling liber8 goon-squad is the weakest part of the show. I'm much more interested in the two Alecs.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still really enjoying it. I like the stuff with Liber8 and Theseus.

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping one of the Alec Sadlers becomes the behind-the-scenes financial and strategic head of Liber8. That would strengthen the Liber8 plotlines.

15. Guy Gardener

Which Liber8?

Theseus and Lucas/Sonya can't be drawing from the same labour pool?

Or can they?

4 or 5 leaderships in disagreement giving conflicting order tot he solider down on the lowest rung.

16. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I could see one of the Alecs acting as a behind-the-scenes figure manipulating multiple leaderships (assuming Liber8 ends up that divided). In the short-term, he probably has a better shot at making a connection with Theseus given their familial connection.

17. Guy Gardener

But why?

What's his motivation?

Characters lumping together for no good reason in abrasive defiance of their continuity is Heroes.

Liber8 hates companies and wants to replace it with 1/2 a 19th century agrarian culture, and 1/2 the 1980s.

Even to destroy his other self or his other selfs plans, either Alec, would they really help Liber8 destroy the foreseen Future... And that's not even taking into account that if Alec/his company is removed from play, the timeline falls apart like that other Alecless timeline did in the beginning of the season.

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think the show has done a good job presenting why a reasonable person would be against the corporate order of 2077. We know future Alec likes to control things, and we know the two Alecs don't get along. It's not hard to see them ending up as adversaries (one Alec controlling the corporate Congress and one Alec controlling Liber8).

Liber8 hates the corporate congress. That doesn't mean they want a 19th century agrarian culture, or, at least, it doesn't mean it's leadership wants a 19th century agrarian culture. Regardless, I could see one of the Alecs using Liber8 as a means of shaping the future even if his beliefs are not those of the more public leadership.

I didn't say either Alec would want to destroy the future. He would just want to bend it toward something more palatable (perhaps letting the course of history run semi-normally while setting the stage for a battle post-2077). Honestly, I don't see much difference in personality between a future Alec controlling a corporate congress and a future Alec controlling Liber8. Both job descriptions would involve some heavy rationalization and a lot of killing.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. Guy Gardener

Alec doesn't have to join Liber8 to oppose himself.

It's not a two horse race.

There are Loooads of horses.

The current free range Alec is running the god damned wrong company for frakks sake.

Alex in a glass cage could still get out of there and found Sadtech, and suddenly the future is looking like it's supposed to with Sadtech in charge and not Pyron.

You know how babies are made right?

If you change the future just a little bit, putting every thing off by just a few seconds, then that means that Billions of different babies are going to be born over the course of the next 70 years, or not at all, because different sperms make different babies, and not all sperms are created equally, however they all do only live for a couple days total, so any tiny nudge to time could change all the players conceived after the crisis point that derailed the original timeline.

There is no changing the future "a little bit". Once it is changed, given enough rope, it is unrecognisable, unless the writers room are a pack of hippy rose coloured glasses wearing assholes.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I put this in as an edit just as you were posting. I'm removing it from that post and adding it here:

Another possibility is that the two Alecs could end up working with each other (one controlling the corporate congress and one controlling liber8) in order to stage a revolution post-2077. That would also be an interesting twist (ala Spock in the mirror universe novel Sorrows of Empire).

The cult with future tech (the one trying to keep the future stable) seems to think small things can change without completely messing up the future. Regardless, I could see two possibilities working out: a) a plan by one of the Alecs to completely alter the future via Liber8 and b) a plan by one of the Alecs (or both--one running the corporate congress and one running liber8) to plan things out so that the big changes happen post-2077.