Archos 705 vs. Itouch?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rÿcher, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I want to get the itouch because it's so freaking cool. On the other hand, Archos' model comes with a 160 GB hard drive.

Help me decide?

2. Gaius Baltar

Gaius Baltar Commander Red Shirt

I would go with the archos as it has support for MPEG4, AVI, WMV, and DIVX video files without having to perform any conversion. With the ipod you will have to convert all of your video to .mp4 before you can watch it. The archos also supports .pdf files so you can read e-books on it too. Both the ipod and archos support similar audio file formats so they are comparable in that respect.

It depends what your primary use for this is going to be music or watching video. If it is music then ipod would be better choice as it is smaller, has a better battery life and the ipods 16GB should hold the majority of your music collection.

However if it is video the archos would be a better choice due to its file support, larger screen and hard disk. Battery life should be adequate plus you can use it to read e-books.

Ipod pro:
    Compact / Stylish
    Good battery life
    Itunes is easy to use

Ipod cons:
    Battery has to be replaced at factory
    16gb space not much space for videos and music
    Screen is larger than video ipod but not as big as archos 705
    Must convert video files
    Apple DRM means copying music from ipod is difficult

cons:
    Archos:
    battery life not as good as itouch
    Not as portable as ipod

archos pro:
    has 160gb of storage
    Better video file support
    Easier to copy file from device
    Larger screen

3. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know nothing of this "Archos" so I'll just ask questions that might help you decide. You'll have to find the answers.

What is it's web browser like? The iPod's is freak'n great, so that's something to compare.

What will your video usage be like? For me, I convert a DVD or two at a time, put it on the iPod and then remove it after I've watched it. (But leave it on the computer.) The point is, for me, that I don't really care WHAT formats are supported since I have to convert the DVD first no matter what.

What size and weight is the Archos? You can actually forget you have an iPod in your pocket, which is great. I'd consider the "how will I carry it?" question and make sure the device you pick matches your plan.

This post probaly sounds biased towards the iPod, but it's really because I don't know this other device at all. All I can tell you is that I love my iPhone (I made this whole post on it) so all I can do is tell you what I'm familiar with.

4. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

If we're talking about the iPod Touch here and not the iPhone, I wouldn't go near it until September as Apple is expected to launch a new version then.

The 705 is, um, a lot bigger then any sort of iPod and you can't really compare them. Now the 605, on the other hand...

5. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

yeah, the size is a downer for me with the Archos as is the casing. I have a remote control that has that metallic plastic and the metal flake comes off in frequently used areas so the same might happen with play for example making the device look like shit.

The iTouch on the other hand is all steel and glass and virtually scratch proof.

I don't know what Safari or Archos' web browser is like. I love the iTouch interface and it comes with pre-loaded programs like datebook, calendar, a nifty calculator and so on. I don't know if any gizmos or gadgets or widgets are included with the Archos but I do know you have to buy some it should have come with out of the box.

It won't be the iPhone but the dedicated media player sans phone. It comes in a 16 GB version and a 32 GB one. I usually hold only about 10 MB of tunes and maybe a few of my favorite episodes of this or that plus a couple feature-length movies.

6. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Does all the stuff at the App Store in iTunes work on the Touch? I know it works on my iPhone and it's freaking great! So many good free apps, and even some decent games for cheap! If the app store works with the touch, it's like a whole new ballgame.

7. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, they will run.

Obviously, there are some that are useless. The apps that rely on the camera, GPS, or cell-phone connection don't do much, but other than those exceptions, everything else works.

8. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I bought my iPhone, a collegue of mine bought his kid an Archos 605. I was a little envious, but since Apple released the 2.0 software, I know I'm on the winning team. Push email, contacts and calendars with my business severs and home computer, The 3rd party apps and access to iTunes....

When they make a 32GB iPhone, I may upgrade to the GPS enabled iPhone 3G then...

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I got an iPod touch, I like it. I don't use it for much, music...some video...email and Internet.

Does anyone know if there flash for the iPod yet?

JF