When did the Mentalist become the Blacklist

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ThunderAeroI, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What gives? its a direct copy...

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was thinking the same thing. This is the third show I've seen this year where the main character wrangles an immunity deal and helps the feds to stay out of jail. I wonder if real-life criminals will start getting ideas. :lol:

What makes this case a little more interesting though is that Jane doesn't have a list. He's bluffing.

Anyway, I enjoyed "Green Thumb" quite a bit. They really shook things up and the show feels fresh and new again. I'll miss Rigsby and Van Pelt but I like the new cast members. They'll add some interesting drama to the show.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So has it stopped being Psych, then?

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the only reason I even know about the show.

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Considering it started off by copying another show, why does that surprise you?

6. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I got a Criminal Minds vibe from the reboot, with them traveling the country to solve difficult crimes and then jetting back to their base. But I can see where you're coming from with the Blacklist connection, even if it seems to be more White Collar (like Psych, another USA show, natch).

7. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never watched "The Blacklist", but now I got curious and checked out it's synopsis. Right, "The Mentalist" sounds like it. However, what matters is how the showrunners implement the idea of having a criminal work for the FBI. I could imagine that both shows are still very different, even though the general idea is the same.

Regarding Psych I don't see much similarity. Then again I only saw one or two episodes of Psych. But didn't the main character claim to be a real psychic? With "The Mentalist" it's the other way round. Jane usually doesn't want people to believe he is a psychic.

Surprisingly I enjoyed the reboot. It brought some fresh air. "The Mentalist" benefits from it if characters are not restricted to California any more. Furthermore, I like the new characters.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

In a couple more seasons Patrick Jane will become a novelist and start shadowing an LAPD detective for research.

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Now that RJ is out of the picture (at least until ratings tumble further), I feel like the show has a fresh set of legs to run on.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Behind the scenes there is a feud between the two shows, and Psych has a habit of mentioning "Mentalist" at the weirdest moments.

11. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Why is Mentalist copying Blacklist? Because Blacklist fucking kicks ass and Mentalist hasn't been good in years.

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping the thread title meant they'd replaced Simon Baker with Denzel Washington or something... no such luck.

13. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never like the Mentalist, but the Blacklist is a real good show.