DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Which is fine, but I shouldn't have to read a story several times just to understand it once. I've re-read issues of the H'El story line just because they've been fun books to read with an interesting story with all of the characters involved. I may read through them all again once I get the issue of Superboy I'm missing and the final issue in the story.

With what's been going on in Action lately I've just been mostly lost and confused. Largely because it's in one book and a month passes between each issue making what happened last time just that much more out there. People like Morrison, fine. He's not my style I guess.

For example, I find All-Star Superman vastly overrated.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Morrison's just not for you then. H'el hasn't interested me at all...but I've stuck with Lobdell since that excellent Luthor issue that you recommend Trekker, because I'm anticipating the stories beyond the H'el arc. Lobdell hasn't been irritating me as usual, and the Kenneth Bocafort artwork is just spectacular as mentioned before. I hope he gets a long run on this book. "Superman" seems to be finally stable for once.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think what I really like about "H'el on Earth" is that when Superman runs into a foe he can't beat, he immediately brings in the Justice League and they contribute for the rest of the story. I hate how in the single titles the character never calls for help from his many allies. So it's nice to have two stories running right now that involves a personal crisis for the main character where the League is fundamentally involved.

4. Admiral_Young

Justice League #17...The Throne of Atlantis story was excellent. Not a bad issue in the arc, and now that Johns is writing and plotting the characters have had a chance to flesh themselves a little bit. Ivan Reis's artwork is just spectacular. It would also seem like we're getting a New 52 version of the Legion of Doom or Injustice League as has been teased from the first arc. Looks like things are shaping up for the Trinity War this summer as well. I'll be sticking with this book now.

5. Trekker4747

The art in Superman has been fantastic since Bocafort took over, I mean it's finally up there with Batman, The Flash and Aquaman with gorgeous art just as a Superman book should be.

I can see not liking the H'El story line, it DOES cover a lot of other issues in other titles which can be a problem since not everyone seems happy with the treatment of Supergirl in The New 52, but hopefully now that WW has used her lasso on her she'll snap out of it and be better.

I took look forward to where Superman goes from here, especially if it tackles more of the relationship between Lois and Clark while Superman is with Wonder Woman and especially if deals with Superman and Dr. Veritas. Hell, I look forward to when this book uses Superman and Lex together in an actual confrontation. This arc has drug, but I've enjoyed it. Look forward to where Superman's book goes from here.

But now I'm excited for the Batman/Superman title coming! That one should be a real blast.

6. Admiral_Young

I'm really excited for the Superman/Batman book. I mentioned a while back that I'd love a New 52 Superman/Batman book and now we're getting one, and from the interview that Pak did with Newsarama last week...it sounds like he has interesting stuff planned.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that Batman is a little more interested in family and teamwork and Superman is a little more insecure, I really think that the groundwork has been laid out for them to actually become close friends in the New 52. It would also be interesting to see if the book addresses the idea that they are both orphans now.

I am not so keen on seeing the action stories in this series but rather the friendship between these two characters. I have only read a couple of issues of World's Finest, but I do like that dynamic that PG and Huntress have.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I concur with everything said about how JLA#17 concluded the Throne of Atlantis storyline.
    Sadly, with everything done to make the surface trust him, treat him as an equal this ends with a few examples of how that respect to some degree has been lost.

9. Admiral_Young

That kind of why I think Arthur didn't want to be the king. He knew he'd be losing all of his hard work with calming the surface world, now though what has happened has gulfed the relationship between Atlantis and the surface considerably. He did say though perhaps he could still make something come of this. Hopefully that happens, but it seems like it's gonna take a long while...and probably not until after the Trinity War before diplomatic relations start to heal...if they even do.

Wonder Woman #17: This is still my favourite New 52 comic (slight nudges above "Batman"). Just great story telling and character development combined with fantastic art. I'd say that Chiang's art has improved since his first issues on the book. Orion's slap on Diana's ass and her reaction was funny. I think it's the character interactions though that I love the best about this book.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

^The latest issue was drawn by Tony Akins.

11. Admiral_Young

Was it? It sure looked like liked Cliff Chiang art to me. He did a great job of capturing his style. Like the same way Chris Burnham does capturing Frank Quietly's on "Batman Incorporated".

12. Nerys Myk

IIRC, Akin is the regular fill in artist for WW. He's done several issues.

13. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't read Wonder Woman since a couple issues in. I know everyone praised those issues, but to me it felt like a horror story Wonder Woman had stumbled into rather than an actual Wonder Woman story, which is exactly the wrong way to start up a new universe. Has it gotten better since then?

14. Nerys Myk

I've been loving it since issue #1. So I'd be the wrong person to say.

15. Admiral_Young

Wow. LOL. This is what I get for not paying attention to the covers. Thanks Nerys for point that out to me :)

Yeah I've loved it from the start as well. It's not really gotten away from it's horror core, but it's certainly expanded it's scope and Azzy is teasing a greater story.

16. Trekker4747

Rule Atlantis...

Stay up here and knock boots with Mera....

Hmmmm, real tough choice there! Too bad AM made the wrong one. ;)

Poor Mera, think I'll go console her.

I followed WW for the first 8 or 10 issues. It wasn't interesting me at all, whatever storyline they were on was just moving to slow and I didn't find interesting. I think WW has been better used in the other books. The art, for me, in WW wasn't great either.

17. Admiral_Young

I still am hoping Johns has a Mera ongoing in him :) Or at the very least a mini series :)

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Personally I think the take, urban fantasy, is a smart move. It's one of the gutsier choices. And it's been great since the beginning. It just might be your cup of tea.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

a Johns Mera mini would be great. i'd also like for him to do something with the Aqualad that was introduced in Brightest Day.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah. I don't think we've seen him at all in the New 52 yet. He was Johns creation too I believe. Black Manta's son correct? I've already forgotten his name.