The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Kuht was just fanon then, right? I forget. was it in TAS?

2. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i dont remember it being in yesteryear but it has been awhile since i saw.

there is some off stuff going on between spock and uhura in the early episodes.

sulu could have been out of the academy.
    i think he is only a couple to four years younger then kirk. and if he entered in at 16 especially could be out.

also remember some cadets go on crew rotations during their academy years.
    which i suspect is the case with chekov.

3. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

T'Khut is a sister planet, not a moon, (although T'Khut has a moon). T'Khut was seen in TAS, been part of many books, and can be seen in TMP. It has, however, never been named in any on screen incarnation.

And if the desctruction of Vulcan can't be seen from where Spock is, why did Nero dump him there? That was rather his whole revenge, right? That Spock WATCH the destruction of Vulcan.

Another ffing plothole if the metaphoric crap is true.

4. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

As Nero would know, Vulcans are telepathic and Spock would "see" the distruction of Vulcan even if he wasn't within visual range. What Nero wanted was for Spock to experience the same desolation as he did.

5. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Uh, Nero. You seen the guy, right? Frothing at the mouth. Incapable of raising shields in a battle. You think he's capable of warping the word "see" and "watch" to such an extent it's only about telepathic impression of the deaths of Vulcans?

Hell, if so, why first flying toward Earth, dump Spock somewhere in a system in line of flight to Earth/Laurentian system, and then change course again toward Vulcan? He could have just as easily dumped him on the nearest planet he could find on his way to Vulcan, and be done with.

No, he specifically put Spock on a place from which he could SEE Vulcan getting destroyed.

6. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

oric said nero left spock with something that enabled him to see the destruction and what was seen later was a memory of that.
    heck in the later trek series we saw were events depending on the level of technology of a given species was projected in mid air.

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ Yep. I remember.
    It was always a visualized metaphor to me anyway, of what Spock conceived of the event.

J.

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

It might have helped if the mind-meld were more overtly impresionistic and chaotic in order to convey that, though. From the way it's shown, it could really be either way, IMO. It's just that we "know" that it's supposed to be an impression and not exactly how it happened.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I don't know, it seemed rather obvious to me.

J.

10. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, come now; this is Spock, not Yoda.

11. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

So?

Spock in the original series (Immunity Syndrome) felt the deaths of the USS Intrepid crew.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I agree, to an extent--it would have made the point more emphatically. However, I took the distorted audio and the "flashback" nature of the imagery to be sufficiently indicative that this was not a literal visual record, but rather an organic impressionist "shared memory"--one that Kirk's mind was doing its best to present coherently to himself (and, by extension, to us).

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but one could conclude those distortions to simply be a part of a normal mind-meld, IMO. It needed to be more overt.

14. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

And that's the very inspiration for the whole Jedi empathic scene when Alderaan is destroyed.. Obi Wan's words are almost word for word what Spock said. Lucas totally borrowed that. Star Wars and Star Trek are more related than most younger Trek fans give any credit for.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ Agreed.

J.

16. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

'Feeling' the deaths of fellow Vulcans and seeing the image of the planet imploding in his mind are quite different. He didn't 'see' the Intrepid get eaten by the giant space amoeba.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ That's why it has to be metaphorical. Visualized so we could understand.

J.

18. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Of course! That's why Spock stood outside looking UP, straight at Vulcan! Because Nero put a giant LCD screen in high orbit of Delta Vega!

Simply put; Orci realized the ridiculous plothole of the Enterprise still being in Vulcan's orbit as it launched Kirk away, it thus limping along at extremely low, virtually non-existent, impulse speeds, not even full impulse, let alone warp as it should have; and now is trying to cover it up.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

He wasn't sharing the experience after the fact with Kirk in a mind meld. If he had done so, perhaps what Kirk would have experienced would have seemed like "watching" the Intrepid enter the amoeba. Mind melds have not often been presented with a visual representation of the experience--there is much room for impressionistic visualizations that differ from the literal experience.

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

3D! You're back! Where's the link to your paradigm-shifting review?!

On topic: a link to the ABC (aust) TV show review of TrekXI:
    http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2547372.htm

They aren't out and out SF fans, but they does likes them a good movie.