Author turnover: Why did they leave, and where are they now?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Case in point: The Wrath of Khan. You don't actually need to have seen "Space Seed" to enjoy that film--and I suspect that most moviegoers hadn't. (Or, at best, had maybe dim memories of Ricardo Montalban guest-starring in old Trek episode.)

As for Casablanca, I've always thought that the weakest (and most unnecessary) part of the movie is the flashback to Rick and Ilsa's romance in Paris. We didn't really need to see that acted out; the look on Rick's face when Ilsa walks into his bar years later pretty much tells us everything we need to know . . .

Let's just be thankful that Raiders of the Lost Ark didn't feel obliged to explain exactly how Indy and Marion broke up years ago.

2. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Especially since she was underage at the time.

3. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

Got a kick out of this. Three of the four (Peter, Robert, and Michael) have teamed together, but they're not writing Trek: http://www.crazy8press.com/

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yes, where would we be without Wikipedia.

5. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I know that much about Somtow Sucharitkul without looking at wikipedia, though I didn't know about the 1984 Amazing story. I probably had that at some point. I've read a lot of his short fiction in the SF magazines and picked up a few of his books; Locus occasionally has news tidbits about him. So I know stuff about him. No reason to assume other people don't know stuff too.

Dimesdan = mad snide. (That's an anagram, son.)

6. Greg Cox

Somtow also posts regularly on Facebook, usually about classical music!

And I feel obliged to point out that he wrote a novel about zombies, the Civil War, and Abraham Lincoln long before it was trendy . . . .

7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Let's Get Laurell K. Hamilton to write another Trek book where Anita Blake is in Starfleet and gets her butt kicked big time.

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I do the same thing.:) The continuity in Trek books makes it easy, too. The authors an editors really know their stuff. I do prefer reading books in order when I can. Overall though, I'm just looking for well written and entertaining Trek lit.

9. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Does this count for this thread? PAD & his NF is MIA. I've been eagerly awaiting PAD's next New Frontier novel. Here's his response in FB to "Any idea when the next New Frontier offering hits stands?"

10. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

Forget Anita Blake. I want her to write another one with all that delicious naughty stuff she puts in her current book series.

Ok. Ok, yeah, maybe I'm weird. But that is some primo, well-written smut, folks. :drool:

Karen

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

His Mallworld stories are quite entertaining and worth seeking out as well.

Greg Cox likes this.
  12. Greg Cox

And Moon Dance, which pits European werewolves against Native American werewolves, is very good, too.

13. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

To the poster who wanted another Bob Greenberger, P David, C Carter, and M J Friendman collaboration I recall reading at the end of the Deep Space novel Wrath of the Prophets with Kira and Ro being the leading characters of that one (set during the series), that they were going to collaborate on a Voyager novel, just like they did with Doomsday World Net Generation Number 12. And Deep Space Nine Number 20 (i think) Wrath....but it never happened. Thats fine because by that time in the late 90's Voyager was really sorta puttering along, and the uneveness of alot of these collaborations really was something that I could go without. I don't know why it wasn't written since it was planned, at least in the early stages. So it not happening was fine with me since i like Voyager least anyway.

Its funny today I was reading a book called Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper Book 2 Constitution by MJ Friedman and thought man this fellow stopped doing Star Trek and here is this little thread on TrekBBS.com! Now I know why he was doing his own story about and ubran man trying to find his direction in life in his late thirties, sounds like me in his late 20's! LoL Laughing on LIne as they say in compter world! But back on topic, MJF's Constituion is alof of fluffiness. Its an easy read, as most of his books are, and it's going by rather quickly. He seems to do alot of the fill in the crew of an old starship what happened back in the day type books. I get confused by all new characters he makes up and many of them are just sorta there for no real purpose other than to make up the crew. While others which, especially in this book, I guess i'd like to know more about....(like the planet's leader who is being attacked? what is thier world like, all I know is that they have purple skin and silver hair at his point, but I supposed thats the point. Who knos.

But yes Johnny Vornholt, the last one of his i read was the Genesis Force the red and black hardover, that one was at least different. But I'm not sure it was entirely sucessful in my little mind. While I did enjoy parts of it...it was perhaps my least favorite of his works I've read. But TNG #7 Masks. That was fun. As was Rogue Saucer TNG # 38 and Deep Space Nine 3 8 Antimatter! All great fun! I love how he used to comment on all how hot the women were, as a kid that was exciting because I was like wow I cant belive they are allowed to talk about Dax's spots going down her breasts and how Sisko likes to notice them and stuff. LOL I guess it wasn't as bad as the holosuite descibed in P David's Deep Space " #2 the Seige", but it made me think these were grown up books. And if they were movies they would be R! I also very much enjoyed Mister Vornholt's TNG novel #16 ; Contamination! Now that was interesting scientifically as well as a murder mystery. And it was the first Worf Troi pairing I remember, I bought it because it had a black spine with no stars on it, and at the time I had no mid- series TNG books, either they were old #1-12 or 26-37 because thats what waldenbooks had. See how my minds a kid worked. I was like wow a rare one ha ha. Anyway Margart Wager Bonano (i know i spelled that on wrong) came back last year or the year before so who knos, people can return! Let just see what happens! :)

(This site always signs me out before I can finsih typing why does it do this. I loose everything!) arg

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's "laughs out loud" or "laughing out loud" actually.

15. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did you read my long explanation about why and what you can do about it? It was in the other thread where you complained.

16. Bob Greenberger

Bob Greenberger Writer Red Shirt

Would you settle for me, Peter, and Mike working together on something non-Trek related? If so, stay tuned for some news in a few months.

17. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

yes and it STILL happens! even in the other browser. Maybe my compter keeps falling off the server when the little green lights go off and thats what does it. Anyway it did help at first, or so i thought!:guffaw:

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why not type your replies into Word, Pages, or Wordpad, or even a blank email form, then cut 'n' paste into your TrekBBS post?

19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Yeah, I don't see that happening. She has a well-deserved grudge against the publisher. It might interest you to know she had begun working on a new trilogy about Zar and Spock, and had completed the first book, when she was effectively dumped by the then-editor of the ST line.

She is one hell of a writer, and it's a shame it happened. I'd love to see her working in the Trek universe again, but it's unlikely. Then again, so was having Margaret come back after the Probe fiasco.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But she'd missed her contractual deadline on the trilogy by several years, IIRC, and there was only one third of the story written when it was handed in.

Negative reactions to long delays in multi-part stories ("The Lost Years Saga", "Rihannsu Saga", "Captain's Glory" and "Errand of Fury") probably contributed to the decision to cancel the contract. Was Pocket supposed to sit on the first manuscript for several years while Ms Crispin wrote the next two parts, or release Part 1 and hope that she'd eventually write two more?