The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[LEFT]
    my kids tell me he appears a lot on people's minecraft video's on youtube. He youtube channel as well it's called theorangetrampoline
    [/LEFT]

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The big surprise at least to me was the History Channel's The Bible - it's not as if that story hasnt been done before.

Regarding sweeps et al, the biggest problem IMO the networks face is the censors. The coveted demos - 18-35 year olds just except more edgy programming then the networks can provide. Had the Walking Dead gone to 22 episodes this season the fans would have laped that up. Conversely, had the Walking Dead been put on NBC without the gore and the profanity I'm not so sure it would be as popular as it is now.

I'm sure despite the virtually equal success the HS had with the Bible they didn't get the great demos Walking Dead did.

3. DarthTom

Yea it's hilarious. Interesting too that Riggs dad joins into the Twitter conversations. I guess his parents closely monitor what fans send to him.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

The only character I see as absolutely safe is Rick-until the very last episodes, of course. I concede, though, that the writers would be extremely reluctant to kill off Daryl. Not even Carl is completely safe. Maybe Rick and Judith will end up the lone survivors after Carl succumbs to his shattered world view and tries to shoot the wrong person. I don't want any of the others to go, but I can see them being expendable.

5. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

I think it would be a mistake for the writers to turn Carl into Shanelite even worse Merlelite, or even worse again govenerlite.
    I don't want a punk to be the new group antagonist, and they would be ruining a perfectly good character that really represents the future of the group.
    Man I really don't want to end up wanting Carl to get taken out by
    walkers by other means. But the tone at the end has Carl on a path that doesn't look good, when he dropped that Sheriff's badge at the end, is that the writers foreshadowing Carl is done being on the side of the good guys.

As for Rick he dabbled with the dark side and came back from it, I really like how Michone and Rick are interacting, if both survive long enough, I see a possible relationship down the road for those too.

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Carl is actually better attuned to his world than the older characters who grew up in ours. His cause-and-effect argument was sound, from his perspective and the information he has been given. He is growing up as a hunter-warrior in a nomadic culture, like many humans over the ages, and should not be judged by our standards of civilization. The neighboring tribe wants to kill your people, take your resources, and just raided your settlement. If you come across one of their number and he doesn't surrender immediately and unambiguously, odds are quite high that he will be killed. Even if he becomes a prisoner, he will be a drain your resources. It's not pretty, but what this show is dealing in is brute survival.

He needs some tempering by experience like any youth, but I don't see anything to indicate Carl is a psycho or will be a detriment to the group. His behavior fits the world he lives in.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Damn, I didn't even realize Sonequa was also Tamara from OUAT. The hair style totally transforms her.

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

They're already regulars. Also starring means regular. There's only so much room in the opening credits.

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was reading that elsewhere, and thought it is great Kinney is getting an upgrade after 2 seasons.

There's a little hint of more things to come from Huffingtonpost in bold:

So, Hurd promises more zombie action. I thought that is where the series needs to go. If we are to believe the walkers have overrun the earth--or at least North America--then the series cannot settle into a general domestic drama format.

I think everyone predicted the Carl problem was going to be a major plot of S4. Let's just hope he does not do something stupid, such as:

1. Leave Rick's group to join the new enemies--including the Governor (turning a son into a revenge weapon), based on his "kill or be killed" mentality. Perhaps he's abused so much, he will be on the edge of suicide.

2. Carl goes off on his own to kill new enemies--a misguided attempt to prove to Rick that "kill or be killed" is the only way to live.

3. Is kidnapped--or conned into helping the enemy. Either way, he leads enemies back to the prison, triggering the final battle with the Governor.

Looking forward to season four!

13. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Ah, I see. I hope now that three spots in the opening credits are free McBride is added, she deserves it the most because she has been with the show since season 1 and because I really like her.:p

I don't get why Danai Gurrera made it into the opening credits right away, she was a new addition, is not who I'd call a well known actress and her role in the season wasn't that important.
    Were they considering to kill Carol? Maybe her "death" in the first half along with T-Dog was originally meant to be real and they changed their mind at the last minute. They gave the spots in the opening to actors they knew would stick around until the finale, not the potential death candidates like Carol.

I'm also happy to read that the walkers will be a bigger threat in season 4, looking back at the second half of season 3 it really seemed they were no longer a big deal most of the time, more like really ugly garden gnomes in the prison front yard.

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it was a nod to the fans who caught the season 2 finale. They were so excited to see her brief introduction that adding her name to the S3 credits promised this popular character was a mainstay. Or, the prodcuers may value her past work so much, they felt she deserved to be listed as a feature player.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Hurrah for that! Maybe now they can afford give Beth a line or two. ;)

Michonne's a fan-favorite character from the comics and aside from (probably more than) Tyrese I'd say one of the most-anticipated characters. And don't forget they maintained Sarah Wayne Callies in the opening credits despite a useless and perfunctory death less than halfway through the season, and even while alive she wasn't given as much importance as Carol or Hershel.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Norman Reedus will get second billing after Andrew, then Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Chandler Riggs, Danai Gurira, Chad L. Coleman and David Morrissey then the others will be list in the beginning of Act 1 as normal. Scott Wilson really should have been in the title sequence this season IMO.

17. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah they had turned into a bit of a joke in the second half of s3.

18. DarthTom

Anyone care to speculate on how you'd make the zombies a bigger threat without converting them into fast zombies?

Because everyone in the group has developed skills on how to kill them - even up close - without fear or even a gun

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think that's what some are complaining about. The ability to pick up plastic fork (or something equally as difficult) and jam it into their head to put a Zombie down

I don't really have a problem with that myself, but, I think some people do think the "heroes" have become too proficient with any ole thing and being able to kill Zombie with it as easily as they do with their regular choice of weapon (IE: Darryl and his crossbow, Michonne and her sword, or anybody else with their guns)

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You guys are all wrong about the credits.

"Also starring" does not mean the same thing necessarily as "regular." Nor does it necessarily equate to being done because the opening credits sequence is only so long.

Much of it has to do with how much each actor is paid, which is also tied to how many episodes they sign up to be in. Or how many episodes their overall deal requires them to be in. This season we had an actor on our show who had been recurring for two seasons but who we definitely wanted back this season, but who wanted to go on to do other stuff. So for some reason we signed him to a "10 out of 13" - meaning he would be in 10 of our 13 episodes. He's nowhere near being one of the regulars or being a central character on our show, but his character is important to the show so he's listed as a regular now. If he's not in all 10 of those episodes, he still has to be paid. All because we wanted to hold him for use this season and not lose him to another show.

No show is done the same way, and no show has the money or budget to pay all the actors on it to be included in the opening credits. Why is Michonne listed as one of the regulars even though she was newly introduced this season? Because the writers knew they'd use her (and Morrisey as the Governor) in every episode.

Or you have a situation like what eventually happened with Jessalyn Gilsig on Nip/Tuck, who was a recurring actor on the show for a few years and who was then upgraded to regular status, but was only credited as such for the episodes in which she appeared, unlike, say, Cirroc Lofton, who even though he was listed in the opening credits for every episode of DS9, he wasn't in every episode, but he still got paid.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013