Any news on Cawley's Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West remakes?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dayxday1000, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just curious.

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. The clips that were posted in the forum looked promising. Be a shame if it just faded away or something.

3. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I'm curious about Buck Rogers too. Looks interesting, and it has a good cast. I have only seen pics of Cawley in costume for the Wild Wild West one. At this point, I would be very interested to see what Cawley and Company could do with an "original production", rather than another fan film based on an old TV property. I could easily see them getting an original production (a movie) picked up for broadcast on a channel like "Sci-Fi", or Canada's "Space" Channel.

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, between Phase II,and Back to the Wild Wild West, and Buck Rogers Begins, we have lots of competing priorities--and lots of volunteers who do these productions only as their time and jobs and wives and children and funds will allow. So we're not breaking any speed records, but none of these projects is abandoned--we're just slow.

It's a little old now, but we did put together a brief snippet of footage from "Buck Rogers Begins"--with Gil, Erin, and Bobby. To explain a little bit about the production, it starts with "Buck" during World War I (just like Buck was originally in the comic strip). So we gave the "old timey" fooage a sepia tone. When Buck wakes up in the 25th century after his incident in an old Pennsylvania mine, the "future" (like Oz) will be in color.

Anyway, here's our little snippet. There's nothing new here, but comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-lSg3-k&feature=player_detailpage

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-lSg3-k&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

5. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would like to see more of this, but the website hasn't had much in the way of updates, so I am not holding out hope for it.

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

For those who whine about off topic tangents taking over discussion threads, consider this: it keeps those threads front and center so that they're ready when there is something relevant to report. It also helps remind certain folks that there's still an interest out there and those interested parties are waiting for news. Even something relatively inane, like Cawley got a haircut and is going blonde for awhile, something to let us know that the whole thing hasn't shut down and folks are still doing something on this.

7. GSchnitzer

So, given a choice between posts made by the production team only when there is actually something substantive to report and posts that are merely frivolous filler-crap to keep stringing you along, you come down squarely on the side of frivolous filler-crap that keeps you strung along. Fair enough.

I'm concerned that not everyone shares your perspective and that we might take a hit from people who'll complain that our posts have only inane content.

8. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the update Schnitz and I'm glad to hear things are on track.

9. Captain Robert April

I'm coming down squarely on the side of "don't just leave us hanging out here". The example of Cawley's hair color at the moment is on the extreme side, granted, but what might seem a non-news item on your end will probably find a very receptive audience on this end.

Maybe something you discovered in your prop research, for example...?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This theory killed the Starship Exeter topic.

11. Captain Robert April

No, the lack of ANYTHING but the occasional teaser pic is what's killing the Exeter thread.

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Right.

Wrong.

'Nuff said.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Man, sometimes I really, really hate Star Trek fans.

14. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I'm coming down firmly on the side of if you're so sure you know how to do it...do it. If they stood to make or lose money it might be in their self-interest to keep updates coming, but even then it's still their business. Fan productions are not going to make or lose money and obviously there is one group or another of fans who will not be satisfied. I have no problem with anyone who decides their time is better spent trying to get the product out than trying to update everyone on every development.

I might prefer more information or updates, but that's my preference, not something written in stone.

15. GSchnitzer

It’s worth reminding folks that while our Star Trek project and our Wild, Wild West project are simply fan productions for which we have not secured any licensing and are not entitled to make a cent, the Buck Rogers Begins project is something else entirely. We have a full licensing agreement from the owners of Buck Rogers and we are entitled to derive income and make a profit from the project—if we can figure out how to do that. So, in the case of Buck Rogers Begins, we will likely charge per stream or per download or put it on ITunes or charge per disc or, well, we haven’t nailed down the specifics of the delivery system and how to monetize that.

In short, Buck Rogers Begins is a fairly low budget professional production, not just a fan production.

16. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

That is very cool to know. I think you guys should approach the SPACE channel in Canada about having it shown on their channel. They often show sci-fi films on their channel that were produced by independant filmmakers like yourselves. Buck Rogers Begins would definitely be something they would take an interest in showing to a mass audience.

17. Captain Robert April

In contrast, I wouldn't even bother with SyFy, at least until they've figured out just what the hell kind of channel they're actually trying to be.

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I can't/won't speak for the folks making this Buck Rogers show, but where they can shop it will depend on what rights they've secured. For instance, they might've gotten web and broadcast/TV rights, or just web rights, and for specific markets. I've worked with licenses in my days as a videogame developer and I know that "rights" are usually specific to one market or another.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral