Star Trek Vanguard: Best Trek Lit Series Ever?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Infern0, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have just finished reading through the entire series, and i'm sad it's over.

I've read a lot of Trek-Lit, and I have to give Vanguard my vote for the best, most well-written Trek Lit out there.

Who else loved Vanguard?

Nyotarules likes this.
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Yes, Vanguard was utterly wonderful. I wish something would take its place in TrekLit sooner rather than later.

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I'm a big fan of the DS9 relaunch books, New Frontier en the Destiny/Typhon pact books, can you compare it with Vanguard books?

Perhaps I will try them

4. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

Yep. Vanguard was amazing. Easily the best series out there. And I'm glad they gave it a decent ending. So many serieses just languish and fizzle or end with unresolved plot points (DS9 relaunch, New Frontier).

Read it, you'll like it.

It's not just a good star trek series. Its great sci-fi that just happens to be set in the Star Trek universe.

Book 3 was my favorite. I've forgotten the title but I think its the one that is really hard to find in print. (So you may have to get the ebook or something if you can't find it.)

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Yeah, it was good.

Errand or New Frontier is probably my favourite I guess

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Vanguard was my all time favorite Trek series:bolian:

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Well, I certainly agree, but I'm a tad biased. ;)

Thank you, very kind of you to say.

The elusive third book in the saga is Reap the Whirlwind. Alas, at this point, all I can do is suggest to folks that they buy it as an eBook.

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is a series I really need to finish. I've read the first 4 books, but then I just fell behind. I do own all 8 books.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just checked if the POD TPB is still available (it is) and it really fucks up the price for the eBook. :cardie:

The eBook is listed at over 20 $ by S&S at the moment, but I guess it's cheap in comparison to the POD TPB (over 25 $).

The cheapest option for new books atm is to get the German translation for those understanding German (around 15 $ including worldwide delivery via book depository). ;)

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Every time I think S&S can't screw up that book's sales any worse, they find a new way. Forget what I said about eBooks and just buy it used from AbeBooks.

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow the reprinting problems for Reap the Whirlwind make me glad I got my copy while ot was still in print.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see another TOS series like Vanguard.

Maybe a little less structured and maybe less regular, but something adding depth to the 23rd Century era and picking up some of the Vanguard characters as well as the old favourites.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Love the Vanguard series. Really captured the feel of the TOS-era for me. Was simultaneously sad to see it end and ahppy that they didn't milk it until it became stale or silly.

14. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Vanguard was awesome, but I don't think it quite tops Diane Duane's Rihannsu series.

15. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Reap situation is particularly crappy considering it's the board's most liked Trek novel among the ones we have review threads for (to the degree that the polls are comparable given the different sets of voters, etc etc).

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't understand that. I don't see why they feel they have to mark up the price of the E-book. I can kind of see when it's a newly released E-book, and they want to to keep things competitive, but it seems kind of crappy to me to mark it up after it's been the lower price for years.

17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I've ordered Vanguard book1 Harbinger!

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I noticed on David Mack's blog that he has a few projects in the works with S&S. Looking forward to hearing about what they are:)

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've only read the first book. Money's been tight recently so I haven't been able to pick up the rest of the series. It's killing me because I loved Harbinger and I want to see what happens and be able to read all the spoilery review threads! :lol:

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved Vanguard. It brought a gritty DS9 ambiance to the 23rd century.