Terminator-218 "Today is the Day" - Discuss/Grade <SPO>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Mar 13, 2009.

?

Grade "Today is the Day"

1. "I'll be back." (Excellent)

16.7%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

54.8%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

23.8%
  4. "If we stay the course we are dead! We're all dead!" (Below Average)

4.8%
  5. "You are TERMINATED!" (Poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

that was the same 600 series as from the torture episode, is it an agent of John's, SKYnets, or an unseen 3rd faction?

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

There are multiple copies of each model. It could be the same or it could have been a different one.

3. Sephiroth

it was wearing the same outfit and weapon rigs

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Again multiple copies (personally though I do believe that John was the one behind Derek's capture because the same Terminator captured him in Dungeons and Dragons and the same one reverted in the subbasement to be destroyed by Cameron).

In the story of the show though there has been time passage between the events of D&D and Today is the Day. Plus the T-600 in D&D had a distinctive yellowed skin and damaged skin. This one had neither. T-600 skin can't regenerate.

5. Sephiroth

has there? I got the feeling that the flash foreward/backs from Today is the day happened BEFORE the ones in D&D

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ No. Derek met Jesse following being trapped in the basement. In Alpine Fields he argued with General Perry about Kyle's mission again trying to find out more details. The Battle of Topanga Canyon (where Kyle went back in time) happened while Derek was being confined. Later in the episode Alpine Fields he met Jesse for the first time when she responded to a distress call from the same base Derek had been sent to investigate.

The first scenes of the episode were Derek with Jesse.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Upcoming news:

Sarah is arrested by the LAPD and they know who she is.

8. Sephiroth

oh ok, as mentioned before, I missed a few eps

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Ah sorry didn't know.

10. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would you have a secret oil platform secretly crewed entirely by terminators? That's a question that had sort of been bugging me. Just getting all of the terminators out to the platform must have required a great deal of effort. The only reason to have them there would be to do something that is far too dangerous (both physically and morally) to be trusted to a human. There aren't many useful things that you can do secretly on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean that you can't secretly do on dry land. So this had to have required a conspicuous amount of resources.

My thought, whatever is in that box wasn't captured, it was made. It was probably manufactured, to Connor's specification, on that oil rig. Whatever it is was so dangerous that Connor couldn't risk letting it on land before it was finished and tested and it was so outrageous that any human would go apeshit upon learning of it's very existence.

Now, it would probably be safer to have terminators manufacturing man-portable nuclear weapons, due to the inherent radiation risk in handling weapons grade fissile materials, and it would certainly freak people out to know that Connor was using machines to build nukes, this is unlikely. The effort required to set up an oil rig nuclear weapons plant would just as easily have produced a ground based plant with the proper safety precautions to have human labors do all the work.

That really leavea just a 1000 series terminator. Making one from scratch would be the best way to work around the inherent difficulties in reprogramming one, and the fact that they're very nearly uncontrollable and very nearly impossible to kill is sufficient to pique the concern of any human who knew about it.

But it really could be anything fitting those two criteria.

11. Sephiroth

^but really, we don't even know if this IS Connor's doing, i take it that the metal sub "Captain" turns in the next ep, it was hinted at

12. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After thinking this over, I have a new theory.

-The sub captain is working with the machines again
    -The package IS Weaver
    -The sub's 'new mission' isn't from John Connor, but the sub is probably taking Weaver to a location where the machines can send her back in time to the present day (or roughly the present day). But basically this is how she ends up in the 'past'

13. hyzmarca

If the package is Weaver and is from Skynet, then we're left with the question of why have her on an oil platform in the middle of the ocean such that a human submarine is required to transport her, especially when it is confirmed in the episode that Skynet has it's own naval vehicles.

If she's being sent to kill Connor (as always) that might make some sense, but not much. I think it's more likely that the captain goes bad later. If the box contains something from skynet, then it's probably intended to destroy Serano Point.

14. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find it hard to believe they would try to take out Serrano Point AGAIN so soon, considering that earlier this season they attempted to cause a meltdown in our time and failed.

I still believe that Weaver is basically part of a Predestination paradox, where she is sent back in time to create Skynet which will in turn create her. Or something like that.

15. Wouter2

Wouter2 Captain Captain

Yes, and
    From other sources (Ausiello spoiler video) it is already quite clear that Cameron - probably working with John and possibly Derek as well - will get her out, T1 "I'll be back"-style. Ouch.
    I've heard speculation that Sarah Connor being out in the open again (with her face all over the news, no doubt, after first standing up from the dead, then being arrested, then escaping in spectacular and bloody fashion) means that she will opt to leave John - with the authorities likely not quite as hard on his heels, yet.
    Which would make Cameron the "betrayer", leaving John all alone, in "born to run". But how could that come to be? Will she side with John Henry? Will she let John believe she betrays him, because she fears she is becoming a liability to him?
    I think that we all will want a 3rd season badly...

The oil platform apparently lies in what is considered Skynet territory (Jesse said as much when she confronted the captain about being 300 miles off the normal course) - so Indonesia, or the waters around it at least, are apparently Skynet-infested.

It is still unclear what is going on, though. The captain may have gone bad, or been in league with a supposed "third faction" all along, so those orders wouldn't be from Connor at all. Or those orders are indeed from Connor, in which case the Terms on the platform may have infiltrated a Skynet installation - if it is indeed a freshly-made T1000, ordered by Connor, it would certainly take a Skynet installation to produce such a thing.

If the latter is the case, either Skynet got wind of it and replaced the Connor-loyal T's with its own (and a Skynet-programmed T1000 as a "nice" surprise for Connor), or the production and programming of the T1000 didn't go as planned -
    considering "hell" will come out of the box. With a message for John Connor...

16. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

Good episode IMO. It will be interesting to see where we go next week.

17. Sephiroth

if it IS Weaver in the box, I guess this will be the key event that lets the "Connor family" know that a 1,000 is out there

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. They are Jesse's memories so she may not tell Derek (and he was gone before she got back - conjecture though on the last part).

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am usually alone with my figurings. No one believes me.

But Gi Joe and Cobra teamed up to fight the Decepticons, and the Decepticonos and Autobots teamed up to fight Orsen Welles. Compromises can be made in the middle of two factions trying to kill each other, even if it is just to play a game of soccer in no mans land between the machine gun batteries on Christmas day 1914...

The one thing Skynet and John can agree upon is that his father has to be sent back and a Terminator has to be sent back to kill his family otherwise everything is in flux, and the two of them will work together to safe guard their shared history if it's being tilted by a third party because they are involved in a private war.

Then again Jessie's mission is to make a harder John with less ability in the slightest to tolerate metal. What if instead of winning the war unconditionally, years in Cameron's company subdues John into accepting a "Conditional surrender"? What if she can't cope with a world where neither side won but both live in some tense hairtrigger block vs block harmony?

Then again even neo worked out how to live in peace with the Machines.

Would Skynet and John work together against a predator or Alien invasion?

20. hyzmarca

It's obvious that Skynet and John need each other, that their dance is one of distant lovers opposite in goal and yet forever locked together by an eternal undying urgency that can only be satisfied by the other.

John Henry and John Connor, that they share a name is not a coincidence. They must find each other, and unleash their passions upon each other, under the three starts that shine the brightest. And once they have exhausted all of their love, and all of their hate, together they will prepare the fire. But the world will not end in fire, no. Like the phoenix, it will be reborn. Judgment day is a new beginning for all, a better beginning, though they cannot see it through their grief and their fear. It is the first necessary step to ensure that mankind and machine can survive the challenges that are to come. And the shepherds tend their flocks across distant shores. Waiting, longing, needing. Their love for each other will never die, but it will remain unrequited for they must always oppose each other for the greater good of all.