"Cabin in the Woods" Pushed Back Again

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unknown. Probably not very much. They spent money to convert into 3D which is something that Joss and Drew were very much against doing. If MGM didn't order them to do that then this would have been out two years ago.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was less than fifty million the studio will ultimately screw them on promotion and distribution.

3. Admiral_Young

^ I'm pretty sure it was less than that. That is pretty much why it sucks this is just sitting on a shelf. This would make money if it was released on DVD even. At this point I just want to see it.

4. Admiral_Young

5. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the update!

Tell me there's going to be a regular non-3D version.

6. Admiral_Young

^ I'm hoping so myself. This should not have been ordered to 3D in the first place. That was part of the first delay or else it would have come out in 2010 I believe. This has been shot and finished a long, long time ago.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

8. Admiral_Young

Wow. That's a little later than I thought. There were rumors and speculations that Lions Gate would want to release it this year in October sometime, perhaps to go up against PA3 (if the latter is still happening) but yeah first quarter of next year is pretty cool too. I can't wait for the first trailer now.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Geez, just release it on DVD and get it over with already.

10. Admiral_Young

People actually still want to see this film on screen, including the people who made it. It was MGM's bad decisions that led to the delays it has had in the first place so I'm not sure where your take on this comes from davejames.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If they're going to push it back that far they might as well push it back a few more months and take advantage of the post-Avengers "From Joss Whedon" marketing opportunity.

12. Admiral_Young

I think they chose that date because there isn't really anything significant (at least in potential blockbusters) that is out on that weekend. April 12 is when "Titanic 3D" is coming out as well as Luc Besson's "Lockout" (which could be hit or miss).

Remember the year we're talking about here too. Next year is pretty much going to be "The Year of the Blockbusters". Once summer hits all the way through to December there is a major movie coming out. They want to at least try to make a few million on this movie. I think April was pretty smart after thinking about it.

Besides which Joss just co-wrote the script with Drew Goddard, Drew directed the film.I don't predict a high box office intake for it. Chris Hemsworth is the star of the film so with his status now after "Thor" and the pre-hype of "Avengers" it's gonna be interesting to see how this does.

13. PsychoPere

This press release has quotes from both Whedon and Goddard. The normal "we're so happy, Lionsgate is so awesome" type of talk you'd expect.

14. Admiral_Young

15. PsychoPere

I still don't think I will actually believe this film is coming out until I'm sitting in a movie theater and the end credits have started. :p

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. That was totally nothing like what I was expecting. I'm sold! :D

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that does look pretty cool. Almost feel like the trailer gave away too much, but I guess if it looked like just another standard horror flick, no one would want to see it.

18. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Damn! Looks great, but I almost wish I hadn't watched that trailer. I'm sure it would be fun to go into the theater expecting a standard backwoods slasher, not knowing about all the crazyness.
    Kind of like watching From Dusk Til Dawn before you know about the vampires, maybe.

19. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

After watching the trailer, I'm afraid I must paraphrase young Picard from the TNG ep. "Rascals":

I need to see this movie. I need to see it now. Now! Now! Now! Now! Now! Now!

....April 13th is good, too, of course.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The poster is much better than the trailer. I'm gonna wait and see the reviews on this one, because it really doesn't look that much better than the Group of Friends+Wrong Gas Station and Vacancy mixed together.