Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Perhaps the uniforms were made that way on purpose knowing how they would look on film, much in the same way the Enterprise was painted in blues and greens knowing that it would look different on screen.

2. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I've never seen a fan uniform that looks even half as good as what is seen on screen anyway, so I guess that point is moot :p

I guess that's the difference between a merchandising company looking to make a quick buck and a fully budgeted costume department ;)

Even the ones used on fan videos such as Hidden Frontier don't come up to scratch, more's the pity.
    It takes more than a few picard maneuvers to pull them off :p

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

What about the uniforms made by Anovos? They are supposed to be screen accurate. For the price, I sure hope they are.

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought about posting the same thing yesterday, but I believe the key part of his post is fan uniform, which to me meant a cheap halloween costume (like those made by rubies, or made cheaply by hand). I think it's fair to consider the Anovos and some of the expensive fan made uniforms are more replicas than costumes.

Similar to comparing the old Playmates toys to the work of QMx or some of the high quality fan props.

5. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Well, yeah, considering I've never heard of such uniforms, I was just referring to fan videos such as Hidden Frontier or that time the Trek Fan got on the news for going to court in her uniform or the Trek fan who got on the news for making his flat look like the Enterprise bridge etc etc.....
    They go to all the effort of doing something creative with their fandom then fall at the first hurdle of having a bad looking uniform that ruins the effect.

But that's the difference between your local costume shop and a fully budgeted costuming department of a TV show or movie, I guess.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Having learned of TOS updating the film stock in S3, has it ever been revealed what film stock TNG used? I only know that the first three seasons had different film stock for each according to TrekCore, and TNG had used 500 speed for the most part, but I could never find which film stock was used.

7. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

TNG was shot primarily on 5294 (400T), 5295 (400T) and 5296 (500T). They started using 5296 in Season Three and it was used until the end of the show. :)

8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

That does explain a lot, especially in the case of S3 other than a change in DOP, naturally going from 400 to 500 meant different use of lighting other than just the style Rush brought with him. Thanks again. :)

9. Ensign Thomas

Ensign Thomas Cadet Newbie

featurette "The Trek Not Taken"

Can anyone share 15-minute featurette "The Trek Not Taken" that was released on German season 4 and US Best Buy Season 3 TNG Blu-ray set? I've seen some images and excerpts and they look amazing. Please send me a message if you can't post a link. I'd be glad to return the favour with some "gems" in my collection. Thank you!

10. Rory1080p

Rory1080p Lieutenant Red Shirt

my mum just asked me to list the 3 things for £40 or so that I would like as birthday and xmas presents for this year :D

naturally I have gone for seasons 3, 4 and 5 of TNG on blu-ray! :)

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Good choice!

12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

This is on Amazon UK today for £22 I just noticed. That's a pretty good price IMO, esp compared to what the release prices are!
    For some reason it's only s3 that's at this price but whatever, I wasn't planning on getting any of the seasons just yet, but for that price I'm gonna nab it before it goes back up.
    Looking forward to my first set of HD TNGs arriving then :)

13. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazon UK - Season 3 - £18.00 GBP (approx. 29.00 USD, excl. shipping - region-free!)

As reported by Trekcore, many Star Trek blu-ray sets are currently reduced on Amazon.co.uk. I have no idea if this is temporary or permanent, but I thought it worth sharing.

14. mrp1978

mrp1978 Cadet Newbie

Hi, sorry to be a nuisance, but I have a question about the episode "The Price" having just watched the Season 3 blu ray set. I can't tell if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread due to lots of discussion about the price of the set somewhat neutering the search function in this instance.

When watching the episode, there is a scene in Ten Forward in which Devinoni Ral is talking to Leyor about the number of ships expected through the wormhole. The scene cuts really weirdly mid-sentence, to the next scene in the conference lounge. It is an abrupt cut with the end of a sentence cut off. Unfortunately I don't have my DVDs to compare with. Is it supposed to be like this, is there a known authoring error, or do I have a dodgy set? This was part of the complete 1-7 blu ray set. I'd appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks.

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

16. mrp1978

mrp1978 Cadet Newbie

Thank you very much! That has set my panicking geeky heart at rest :). It's one of those episodes that I haven't watched in years and years so had obviously forgotten about that little peculiarity.

Much appreciated.