Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Big things are about to come:

[​IMG]

Trailer:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85J7KYOtAg[/yt]

Trekcore article:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/05122012_s3trailer.html

Season 3 at Memory Alpha:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/TNG_Season_3

TrekCore Screencaptures:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/

Episode Transcripts:
    http://www.chakoteya.net/nextgen/episodes.htm

DISCUSS!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

First!:bolian:

In all seriousness, I already can't wait for this one.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's hoping none of the other episodes have the same cropping issues as Sins of the Father.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

After watching that trailer, I can't wait till this set is released. Once I know what the release date is and Amazon makes it available for pre-order, I'm going to get it.

Really excited in the next few months to find out what kind of special features they have for this set. Now that we're getting into the heart of TNG's run, I'm not entirely sure what they can cover, but I'm sure it's a lot. I still hope they have a recent interview with Whoopi Goldberg, who shouldn't be too hard to find.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The footage looks incredible, but I have to admit I liked the more ominous buildup in the S2 trailer a lot more.

6. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I know it officially is coming soon but is it slated for a Feb or March 2013 release?

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Salinga, I would not have started this until the release date was announced but the trailer is probably just as reasonable a starting point. Thanks for keeping the title format consistent.

8. jimbotron

Foreshadowing? :lol:

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Heh heh, somehow I just knew someone was gonna go there. :D

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

:rofl:

11. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The shot of the Enterprise burning up in the planets atmosphere from Deja Q has always been a favourite of mine and it looks glorious in HD. I can't believe that Season two has barely been released and all we can think about is what we're about to receive. :)

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm more hoping that they fixed the framing issue. They had to go back to Sins to restore the missing HD shot anyway, so I'd be pissed if they still left it as-is.

13. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad Trekcore has done a screengrab of Not!Picard in glorious HD! :) I love season 3 and am really looking forward to what else CBS-D have done.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I got my S2 disks yesterday and I watched the trailer for season three last night. It seemed to me that some of the footage in the trailer may have been upscaled material because in some shots Picard looks really crisp and then in other shots from the same scene he looks very soft and out of focus. Did anyone else see that or am I just imagining things?

15. jimbotron

I think it is confirmed somewhere, maybe TrekCore, that the framing of Sins of the Father is remaining as-is.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, I noticed that, too. It's during the scene in "Best of Both Worlds" where the Borg beam aboard the bridge to abduct Picard. In one shot everything looks perfect. They cut to the Borg and back to almost the exact same shot as before, only with poor quality. I guess it's because the last cut contains an effects shot (Worf firing a phaser), whereas the former is only a normal shot of Picard and Riker.

17. Borjis

I noticed a lot of the live action shots are nearly blown out, I really hope those are before color correction, I was temporarily blinded.

I know season 3 is where things got bright but those luma levels were way too high for comfortable viewing.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, I had gotten used to the look of Season 1 remastered and to see those really bright shots from Season 3 was a bit of a shock. I never realized how much better the lighting was in the earlier seasons until now.

19. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldnt surprise me if the change was also money related: keeping the lighting mostly on the same level speeds setting up shots and thus is less cost intensive.

20. Borjis

It also helps shot consistency with the film grain.

My GODS the grain was all over the place in "the child" it's like they didn't do any tests of the new film stock prior to shooting, later episodes look a lot more consistent.