5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Only a few more hours till the resolution of this two-parter. Despite the Eurovision Song Contest, this episode will air later than usual, at 7 pm.

[​IMG]

It is the most important day in the history of Earth: the dawn of a new age of harmony... or the start of its final war.

The Doctor must face his most difficult challenge yet and he tries desperately to ensure Alaya's prediction of a massacre does not come true. Meanwhile, what fate will befall the captured Amy and can Tony and his friends be trusted?

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Man they look so cool with the masks on!!

3. Count Zero

I must admit I'm a bit puzzled why they wear those masks. Did they do that in Classic Who, too?

4. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I'm guessing for lizards w/o a speaking role, it's easier to glue a generic mass-produced mask over their human faces.. and I think it's also a tribute to the classic Who days when it wasn't considered important for monsters to emote.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who knows what the masks are for. Religious, cultural, night vision goggles? I just know they look a lot cooler with them on.

What I find kinda neat is the white mesh netting used in their outfits. A tip of the hat to the Sea Devils?

Anyway, as with the conclusions of all two-parters, I'd like to take a moment to offer a simple prayer.

"Dear lord, please don't let it suck. Amen."

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

later than usual at 7pm, I remeber when 7pm was the usual

:(

7. Count Zero

Maybe it will return to its time slot now that 'Over the Rainbow' is over.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

its 18:40 next week, so that is not too bad
    week after that, 18:45 (but could change)

after that, there is two more episodes left, the first one will air against a World Cup match on ITV, not sure about the finale, BBC/ITV have not yet decided who will have what game, past the group stage.

So the finale air date is TBC

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. Count Zero

If we have to wait two weeks for the conclusion of the season finale, there will be blood... :klingon:

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

yes that would be a major pain.

That said, BBC have first pick of the post group stage matches, so its possible they will pick another match that day, avoid having to move the Doctor Who finale.

oh and the game "The Pandorica Opens" clashes with is Cameroon v Denmark, so not big competition.

That said the BBC will look for "The Lodger" to finish before 19:30, otherwise it will clash with England v USA on ITV, that could do some serious damage, if the two were to compete. 18:45 seems a logic start name, but I would not be too surprised if its earlier.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Jamee999

Jamee999 Commander Red Shirt

That was very good.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

So Ten caused the cracks when he regenerated in the TARDIS. Its all slowly coming together...

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the main story of the episode was so-so but the bits to do with the series arc were fantastic.

15. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Quite liked it. Liked that they didn't draw out the 'who will kill Alaya' thing too much. The narration by Stephen Moore was nicely ambiguous. Rory's death was quite a shock, even though I did kind of see it coming. Also, I pretty much expected the 'shrapnel' to be a piece of the TARDIS.

Crucial arc plot point - someone contacted by the time energy cannot be forgotten if a person concentrates. The other Doctor in "Flesh and Stone" comes to mind - "remember what I said when you were eight".
    If the TARDIS, with the Doctor in it, is at the centre of the explosion that cracks the universe, then maybe he could be being erased from history...

16. David_Leese

David_Leese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was very good indeed. In particular, the way that I assumed Rory was safe because we'd seen his future self was a very clever twist. And for all of us who wondered what the point of them seeing themselves waving - it was the obvious "They'll be okay in the future..." and then he wasn't!

Liked the negotiations, the failed rescue attempt, and the genuine attempts at peace. I also enjoyed another pace-change part way through the episode, when the chasing was paused for a look at the crack... and the piece of debris?! Loads of questions still to be answered... excellent!

One question: the Silurian soldier shoots Rory, who starts dying, and then starts being absorbed by the light. Why didn't the Doctor and Amy drag the soldier over to the crack and have *her* erased from history - if she never existed, then Rory doesn't get shot?

Otherwise, that was excellent - the best of new Who and with a very good classic feel. For me, one of the best of this season.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Was going to give it good but the finale made it Excellent though how did Lea dye from a taser ?. Rory is gone from memory but his actions cannot be? otherwise well events change from previous episodes and then things don't make sense...

grr time travel :lol:

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The writer explains that in the DWM: the masks made the CGI multipilications used to create the army easier/cheaper/affordable.

19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Boo! Hiss! New worst episode of this series.

20. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

Maybe it already happened as Amy didn't know about all the events that happened on Earth the past 5 years, or at least the Dalek invasion and Earth being moved.

Rory's death was a bit of a shock to me as well, do you think there's anyway for him to return, like if the Doctor finds out more about the crack and manages to avoid whatever disaster might be to come?

I liked how it was explained that the Silurians here aren't just the same ones as the first lot with just a modern prosthetic, they are actually a different race of Silurian, or Homo Reptilius.