Post DW questions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by JediKnightButler, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been awhile since I've seen WYLB, so maybe it was explained/discussed (or maybe it wasn't) but what exactly happened to the Female Founder after signing the surrender treaty? I thought that, for some reason, she was allowed to return to the GL but I think that I saw something else that stated that she was imprisoned for her war crimes?

Also, what happened to the remaining Dominion troops, soldiers, ships, etc? Did they return to the GQ and if so, how? Did "The Sisko" make some kind of arrangements with the Prophets to allow them safe passage back home or did he- as a Prophet- facilitate their return? Seems to me, with a fleet of Dominion ships waiting on the other end of the Wormhole to come into the AQ, it would've been quite a risk to permit the passage to open. What if the Dominion pretended to surrender, the Federation/Prophets allowed the wormhole to re-open the passage, and the GQ Dominion ships scream into the AQ destroying DS9, Bajor in retaliation for the war and/or finishing off the Federation Alliance?

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The female founder agreed to stand trial for war crimes.

I would assume the Prophets would not prevent Dominion troops from passing from the AQ to the GQ, only the reverse direction.

3. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

1. In the Dialog Odo was the one who said she would stand trial for her crimes.

2. They did return through the Wormhole in the book, as for the Prophets they did not stop them. How it was negotiated is unknown but the Prophets did not stop them.

3. As to why they didn't re-invade, the Federation has viruses that can infect their entire species and the Prophets are between them and the Alpha Quadrant first off. The Cardassians, Romulans, Klingons and Federation not taking any of their bull and in perfect agreement there would be no real way to worm their way back in. The Breen Weapon is now useless. (The book also says there was a weakness in their ships that when exploited caused them all to retreat so they abandoned the Dominion.) They have no foothold or bases that the Cardassian had given them before and no way the four Alpha Quadrant powers would let them get another foothold with another race, they would be gunning for the first Dominion convoy. Finally with the Klingon's, Romulans, Federation and Cardassians the Gamma Dominion is in a vulnerable state and maybe even at risk of invasion themselves. (The books also say there were uprisings in the Gamma Quadrant.)

So the Dominion is in no shape to re-invade and right now wants little or nothing to do with the Alpha Quadrant. (The books state they allow peaceful exploration.) As to if they will re-invade in the future, who knows but not for a while.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Why would the GQ Dominion be as vulnerable as the AQ powers? They just spent 2 years not fighting a war on home ground. Their loss might see a rise of rebellious activity inside their borders due to a chink in their aura of invincibility, but with the return of their AQ forces the GQ Dominion would be stronger, not weaker

The novels are the only things that give a definitive statement on what happened to the Female Changeling and they state she was imprisoned in a special facility in the Federation after the war. I think they also say the Dominion fleet was allowed to return to the GQ.

As for the wormhole I'm not sure what the books say about how it operated post-SoA. Whether the Prophets had locked it down from the GQ or not. Even if they had the Federation would be sensible to put up a new minefield immediately rather than depend on the whims of the wormhole aliens.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

The novels have Odo sendin' a message to the powers of the Alpha Quadrant that if they want to explore non-Dominion territory in the Gamma Quadrant, they can.

And some shit goes down with the Founders that leave just Odo & Laas runnin' what's left of the Great Link, too, so his word pretty much goes...

6. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Why are you pointing at my post and using words I never used. I said more vulnerable, not weaker. 4 powers running on a military economy who hate your guts vs 2 running on a civilian economy plus a big ally in Cardassia make a pretty big difference.

Without Alpha Quadrant fortifications and strongholds the Alliance could kick the Dominion off the rebellious Gamma worlds who hate the Dominion and start damaging their major facilities. It is the difference between losing Saigon (Who cares) and Boston (Crap).

They are more vulnerable to attack, not less even with a extra troops. They don't want Fed, Car, Klg, Rom Alliance Ships smashing the Gamma Quadrant is all.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. JediKnightButler

Are the relaunch books worth reading? I really wish that they had wrapped up the war a little earlier to tie up a few loose ends (i.e. Bajor). Plus, it would've been interesting to see a couple of post-war eps with DS9 and how the new command structure operates with Kira in command, as well as the political/religious fallout on Bajor as it relates to Winn's actions. Generally speaking, however, I felt like the series was wrapped up pretty well in the end.

8. JediKnightButler

I still feel a little uneasy about Odo joining the Great Link at the end. Sure, I know that that's what he's secretly- and not so secretly- wanted since he found them at the beginning of S3 and the war is over, as is (presumably) the Dominion threat to the Alpha Quadrant, but there is not any direct reason to believe that the Dominion is going to reform itself into a less oppressive, tyrannical organization- though, of course, maybe Odo's goal is to change some of that? Sure, they got beat, maybe for the first time in their history (albeit outside their home turf) but their armies and networks are still fully intact in the GQ.

9. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The AQ powers have all gone through a big war, the GQ Dominion hasn't (as far as we know). The point I was making is the AQ powers won the war, but were weakened, the Dominion lost the war but could end up stronger.

Even if they did all ally together they probably don't equal as much of a treat as they did pre-war. The Klingons will take a decade to recover, the Cardassians got blitzed by the Alliance and then the Dominion at the end and the Federation lost fleets and planets (Romulan losses are pretty unknown, though we know the Dominion could reach their planets). They are in no shape to take the war to the Gamma Quadrant, especially given, as far as we know, the GQ Dominion hasn't had to fight a massive war and is reinforced by its returning forces (that bring knowledge and experience of fighting the AQ powers).

The Dominion lost the war, but it seems the war was devastating enough for the AQ that they did succeed in removing the AQ powers as a significant risk to them in the GQ for a while.

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until the Feds arrive with Janeway's future-tech, then it's Good-bye Dominion!! YEEEHAAAA!

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Yes.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

a thousand times yes.