Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

No idea. These are rumors...and yes I realize my previous stance but considering the sudden casting of Jor-El that came out of no where I thought it prudent to mention them.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it turns out to be true I don't see them spending too much time on Krypton anyways, unless these extra Kryptonians come out of the PZ or something.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of them is Jax-Ur. I can't remember the other one though.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I always thought "boy shorts" would work on WW in the modern era. :D

Hoping for Cat Grant! :)

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Jor-El attacks Zod for cutting his poetry recitation from a tv broadcast by throwing a phone at him.

Actually, I think this is a pretty good choice.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, also, Cain was cast as Clark Kent, with the intention that the character would play charmingly against Lois; the producers decided to emphasis Superman later in the process. Reeve auditioned as Superman; he developed his Casper Milquetoast version of Kent pretty much on his own from the scripted page. TPTB were probably looking for different qualities in each case.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do: quality. Substance. Creativity. Things that have had a little thought, education and research put into them, and that require a little thought, education and research to get the most out of them.

Hmm. When was the egg mcmuffin created?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Precisely, Cain as Clark "acting" as Superman, which is what I meant in "trying to put on a performance."

In this case, Superman was the secret identity so to speak. And I think Cain did a marvelous job at playing Clark, especially in the first season when the scripts emphasized more of the romantic tug-of-war between Clark and Lois.

Cain's Clark really got under the skin of Lois, which she couldn't stand or admit she liked. But, then again, even the Casper Milquetoast version got under the skin of Lois (in both the comics and the movies).

I've always said that Lois was really in love with Clark, not Superman, and that her ego just couldn't allow her to admit it.

It is really evident in the 1970's storyline "Who Took the Super Out of Superman!"

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've heard that Jor-El and Jonathan have a big fight over which of them was the worse Robin Hood.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

You gentlemen make a good point. I always thought Cain was a darn fine Clark Kent. Never liked his Superman much. But you gentlemen have articulated why Cain's Superman never rang true to me.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So you value creativity but you want then to do it the same way they've always been doing it.

Interesting.

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha you're right! I didnt even realize that unti now. I dont know though I always thought Prince of Thieves was decent.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

And then Cary Elwes enters and upstages them both

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lrs-aPUQZc[/YT]

:techman:

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Compared to Crowe, Costner was Errol "Fucking" Flynn. :rommie:

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I know the superman fanbase has big mixed feelings over Smallville but just watched the finale and I have to admit the show has made me more of a superman fan than ever before and I cannot wait for the movie ;)

16. Admiral Buzzkill

I didn't have mixed feelings; I pretty much thought it sucked.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Cain overall, but his really high, little kid voice always annoyed the heck out of me. It wasn't a problem in the Clark scenes, but anytime he spoke as Superman it REALLY stood out.

Reeve had a naturally high voice too, but he was at least able to deepen it a little bit when he needed to.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm easy to please as I've pretty much liked all versions of Superman in movies and TV.

19. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

I always liked Cain's Clark Kent. Never cared for his Superman. With Reeve, I loved his interpretation of both roles.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

It's impossible to guess exactly what the producers had in mind, but it seemed to have been along the lines that we'd hear about Superman but rarely or never see him - a cute concept in its way, but probably unsustainable for a TV series (well, ABC passed on the concept anyway; the CW made it work somehow).

I'd imagine that in casting Cain they were looking for a guy who could make Clark sexy and appealing in street clothes while suggesting to the audience that there was a Superman hiding behind the glasses - but how he'd actually look and sound in the blue suit and cape was evidently not on their list of priorities.

Indeed, Cain's first appearance as Supes in the premiere looked to be shot later and using an improvised costume that was refined in the following weeks.

You know, posting about this - I'd forgotten how much I loved the first year of that show. The cast was charming, the writing was light and clever, and they turned a lot of the familiar Superman material a little bit sideways while not diminishing it at all. There were hokey aspects to it, but I even liked those (Perry White's Elvis obsession, for one). I assume this is on DVD; I'll have to go buy it.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVvbhMm24&feature=related[/yt]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011