5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

But there's no reason to think that Ten's TARDIS travelled to 2010 before plummeting back to Earth in 1996.

2. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why people can't get the idea that the TARDIS of the future caused the cracks.

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Because people like speculating.

You do have a point there, and I give the original idea points for that.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, there was The Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks at the very least, so it's not like we've never seen dissent among the antagonists before.
    But I also liked the more detailed insight into the Silurian society we got.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not speculation when you ignore the available facts and come to incorrect, or at least, implausible conclusions.

6. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Really? What insight was that? It was a completely hackneyed military vs. politician rubbish that any writer worth his employment would have ruled out as trite.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I just liked that we got to see a bit more of their society than usual. It's what I like about the old show, too.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought it was pretty good myself. Yeah there were some cliched spots, but it was still damn entertaining overall. And it actually got a bit darker and more complex than I was expecting too-- what with the Doctor being tortured, a kid appearing to be borgified, Alaya being electrocuted, and Rory dying.

I especially liked that we saw some humans acting in less than noble ways here, whether it was the father offering to help the prisoner escape to save himself, or the mother acting out of complete distrust and paranoia every step of the way. It's nice to see people acting in such flawed, human ways on this show (instead of just being cartoonishly evil like the Saxons).

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, I know. There have been some episodes I haven't been crazy about (Victory, Vampires), but it's hard for me to get all that angry and upset about it-- especially when I realize this is mainly written to be a kid's show.

Yet everyone approaches it like it's another BSG or Babylon 5 or something. lol

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nearly 87% so far on our poll has Good or Brilliant, nice to see :techman:. I do look forward to the final 4 episodes and hope Moffat hasn't backed himself into a corner.

Now I think I might watch some Classic Who :)

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Well, the date the Doctor read (Flesh & Stone) was 6/20?/2010, presumably when whatever causes the crack/Amy problem started (which I believe coincides with the day the actual episode will air).

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. And that same episode also establishes that that was to be the day of Amy's wedding to Rory, implicitly linking the explosion to Amy, not to the Doctor's regeneration.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Her wedding to who? :confused: Is this Rory guy some character we haven't seen yet?

14. kathryn i am

kathryn i am Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going to be speculating about new characters, could you PLEASE have the decency to use spoiler tags? :scream:

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm gonna go with Excellent. Something got in my eye when Rory died. Nice work by Miss Gillan.

So far this season has has a ClassicWho feel to it. No complaints.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Exactly, and I for one LOVE it.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Tasers affect different people differently, so who can tell how one might affect a cold-blooded, intelligent saurian? Maybe their hearts are simply more receptive to being disrupted by an electrical charge than a human's is, maybe she had a defect.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the record, there have been hundreds of deaths reported linked to Taser use. I've always been rather opposed to the way they have become casual devices of coercion/compliance rather than strictly an alternative to deadly force when appropriate so personally I liked the rather cruel way it was portrayed.

As to the episode, I thought it was a decent old school yarn. I can see it being considered cliche but for nuWho it felt kind of fresh. It felt a little different to me anyway. I didn't expect Rory to get wasted, I'm glad I wasn't spoiled on that.

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

The hell?

<looks up at the title of the thread>

"Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!"

Yeah, thought so.

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Who is this Rory character people keep taking about?