What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I finished beta-reading Dwarves In Space for my friend. Great stuff. The Space Opera future of a High Fantasy universe. As usual, a strong story in a cheeky style reminiscent of Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams.

Now I'll get back to Montaro Caine, which I had barely started.

2. mari

mari Captain Captain

Montaro Caine is on my Amazon wishlist. Just not in the mood for it yet.

Haven't done much reading at all lately, actually, being the kind of sick where I can't keep my eyes open much longer than work requires. Feeling better now, and apparently managed to stack up about $70 in Amazon gift cards over the past few months, so I've gotten the second Eugenics Wars. Made it through about three pages (on Kindle) before I fell asleep last night. Not the book's fault, I'm just still exhausted I guess. Hopefully tonight I can at least finish a chapter. I miss reading.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Margeret Coel's newest, Killing Custer, and started Orange is the New Black, the memoir that the Netflix show is based on.

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm getting ready to start Second Shift - Order (Part 7 of the Silo Series) (Volume 7) by Hugh Howey. I've read the Wool/Silo series so far and have the rest of the books. :)

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

since I last posted I have finished Time Gifts by Zoran Zivkovic (good, but not as good as The Library) as well as The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes and The Reurn of Sherlock Holmes.

My iPad read is still Death by Black Hole by Neil Degrasse Tyson but I am only 14% through it.

A far as my dead tree read goes - I have just started Chief Left Hand, a biography by Margaret Coel.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I needed something light for a voyage, which included a train ride and two flights, so I started reading James P. Hogan's Inherit the Stars.

Quite a nice read: well paced and with lots of interresting twists that keeps me reading -even if I, as an experienced SciFi-reader, have guessed the most probable solution to something the future scientists in the book haven't even mentioned yet (wonder if I'm right ;p

7. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Dust by Hugh Howey. The end of the Wool/Silo series.

8. trekkiedane

Of course I guessed right about 'the big finale' of Inherit the Stars :lol:

Now starting on Alastair Renoylds' Revelation Space.

9. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Captive Mind by Czesław Miłosz.

10. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

I found a new author I really like, Blake Crouch. Already read "Pines" , "Abandon" and now reading "Eerie". Basically mystery and suspense :)

11. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Revelation Space, book 3

12. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Killer Show, an account of The Station nightclub fire, published just in time for the disaster's 10th anniversary. My cousin and her husband knew people who were hurt/killed in the fire. They don't talk about it. :( The book is hard to get through.

13. Miss Chicken

In the last few days I have finished

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - I loved it.
    Dewey, The Library Cat by Vicki Myron. Enjoyable but a little repetitive at times.

Still reading three of the books I mentioned earlier (Death by Black Hole, Stiff, and Left Hand)

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I just started "Doctor Sleep" by Steven King. It is too early for me to form an opinion about it, but I have high hopes.

15. Miss Chicken

Have we all stopped reading or just posting about what we read?

Since I last posted I have finished reading the Sherlock Holmes canon by finishing off The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes. From now on it will be Sherlock patishes for me.

Also read Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. I like about half of the short stories in this collection.

And today i finished Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner.

I last read this book as a teenager around 40 years ago after I had watched the wonderful mini-series the aired on Australian TV in 1973.

I was very pleased to find a DVD copy of the mini-series on Amazon last year and bough it straight away. When it arrived I was disappointed to discover that this US copy of the min-series does not include the last two episodes of the series (which covers events in the last three chapters in the book)

The events of the last three chapters are very sad as a terrible tragedy does occur so maybe the American powers-to-be deemed it too upsetting for children to watch (?).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. trekkiedane

I'm still in the first Revelation Space - haven't been reading a lot since my dad died.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I hadn't heard about that. My condolences, trekkie. I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been in kind of a funk since my Uncle Ken died.

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, dear, I didn't know either. My sympathy, trekkiedane.

As for reading, I just finished a history of the Russian revolution.

19. trekkiedane

I just can't concentrate on reading... and the TV isn't any better.

Thanks guys.

20. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished Day of the Triffids! It was a welcome relief from trying to slog through the Wheel of Time books - had to give up on those. Now I'm on The Indifferent Stars Above.