The Valiant never seen....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ No, no atmospheric maneuvers. The DY-100 also has an even more pointed bow and it was a strictly sublight ship.

2. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Mm. True enough, I suppose.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This Valiant is essentially a fast relativistic ship design adapted to having a space warp drive setup fitted to it. Hence the pointed nose for a ship that can accelerate to near light speed. At those speeds you quickly learn that space is hardly empty vacuum at all. You therefore need such a shape to help cleave through the interstellar medium much as a jet aircraft has a pointed nose.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My thinking behind this Valiant.

5. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

You forgot one thing, the pro has an employer. Someone who might not be able to draw better than a stick figure but doesn't want the best effort of the artist enless it fits the employer's vision. I think this is a source of some quality reduction, the studio's effort to make sure that the end product is profitable. Therefore, the first effort can be well within a deadline and rejected because it wasn't something enough.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ No, I didn't forget that. I don't think that it's really relevant. I think the real distinction is that one is considered a pro because they're recognized for their work and has been successful and paid. One can have all kinds of talent (in any field) but until you're recognized and paid for it your ability doesn't matter.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Well what it seems like he's saying is that even if you're paid for it, your aesthetic abilities and sensabilities and and visionary talent doesn't matter either unless you call the ship something else and write you're own original franchise setting and premise and also happen to be a producer with enough clout and able (allowed) to do it.

There's an old joke where a scientist tells god that he is also able to create life like he did and proceeds to grab a a fist full of dirt and God says, whoa, wait a minute, get you're own dirt.

8. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Warped9,

Excellent!

I am wondering though, where does the ship recorder get jettisoned from? From the aft section of the main body or at the top (or bottom) of the ring or at the aft section of that cylinder below the main body?

Any chance you could create a 3d model of the ship recorder and put it in the foreground, flying toward us/the virtual camera, with its top facing somewhat towards us/the virtual camera, with the ship exploding in the background? Or would the recorder be yawing, pitching, and rolling out of control from the blast and be unable to stabilize itself with its thrusters?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I had two thoughts about the recorder marker. One spot could have it housed in that nub hanging under the main hull just aft of the landing bay doors. There is another nub on top of the aft section not far behind the upper ring support strut. Of course it could also be housed just about anywhere else on the hull behind a hatch that's not immediately visible.

You can see the spots more clearly here.

[​IMG]

This is also where you can really see the pulp sic-fi rocketship element as the basis for the design. You have the bullet shaped main body flipped on its side and detailed grafted onto a more contemporary looking lower (or aft) booster section. The fins of the rocketship have been morphed into support struts for the space warp ring and the navigational deflector pod.

10. Navigator_NCC2120

Warped9,

Thanks. Well, in that case why not have 2 recorder markers? One at each location. One that can be jettisoned in front of the ship and one that can be jettisoned behind the ship, depending on the circumstances, or possibly eject both at the same time.

/\

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Nice work. :)

13. Navigator_NCC2120

Warped9,

Awesome!

Thanks,

/\

14. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, you've probably said already, but I'm curious to know - what renderer do you use for Sketchup?

15. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

Beautiful work!

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

17. Irishman

18. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

The amount of work that has gone into these images is truly impressive :techman: but I find myself unable to convince myself that the United Earth Space Ship Valiant did look like that.

The main body reminds me too much of the space shuttle's fuel tank or a blimp, and the archaic design and outer shell of the Valiant's recorder marker suggests a closer relation to either the design DY-100 or the (unseen) DY-500. Just my humble opinion and assuming Warped9 is interested in various kinds of feedback.

Bob

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ The main body is actually the spaceship Friede from Woman In The Moon (1929) stretched out a bit in the nose and tapered a little. The resemblance to the shuttle orbiter's fuel tank is coincidental. And I don't think the recorder marker is really any more indicative of what the Valiant should look like than a reel-to-reel tape player indicates what a 1950's or '60's era fighter jet should look like.

I taught myself how to use SketchUp through trial-and-error and watching/reading some tutorials. Maxwell was a bit more involved to learn (I found), but again their online or pdf manuals can help you learn the tools. Another advantage is Maxwell works right within SketchUp---you don't have to export your model into another program to render it. The only quirk I've come across is that Maxwell can be a bit too high resolution in showing the facets that make up a curved surface. If you study the model in this thread (as well as models in my A Parade of Spaceships thread) you can see what I mean. One way to minimize that is (where appropriate) make curved surfaces with as many facets as possible to make the surface look smoother. I try to do this with large curved surfaces. With small curved surfaces than I use fewer sides to the curve to get fewer facets. I haven't been able to make an appreciable difference within SketchUp by increasing the angle of smoothing. Maxwell also has some lighting abilities within it that I appreciate.

Truth is I'm still learning Maxwell and slowly learning how to get more out of it. I do suggest you go for the licensed version (cost me only $99) because you get more functions out of the program as well as larger resolution images than you do with the free version.

Regarding SketchUp many have advised me that the Pro version isn't necessary because there are so many plugins available for the free version that help give you a greater diversity of tools.

20. Irishman

Any idea what resolution the free MAXWELL limits you to? I was going to do Kerkythea, but it seems to no longer have a website to download from.