Did the alien design on Voyager just get lazy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Jan 11, 2012.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I understood your points and I agree.:)

2. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

About the chins...did anyone else watch...it was either the TakTak or the Sleep Aliens, who has a length of skin covering their mouths...

How do they eat?

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Bringing my intelligence into the equation is not the way we are meant to post here. Post, not poster.

And I don't understand what distinction you're making; it has nothing to do with posters' intelligence. The makeup guys assigned big hair to the Kazon, horns to Naomi Wildman, pixie ears to Kes and Tuvok, and spots to Neelix, so they chose different conceptual directions for guest aliens. Foreheads, noses, chins, necks, fingers.

Because you seemed to be claiming that each alien makeup could only be counted once, in order to prove your point? And it was my attempt to clarify, because you didn't seem to understand my points.

4. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok. I thought it was really obvious from my previous post, but maybe not. To clarify:

We saw a large number of alien species with bumpy foreheads (or some variant thereof). We saw only one, or perhaps a couple, alien species with horns, or crazy hair, or what have you (still don't remember anything resembling fins or gills at all, but I may just be forgetting someone). And I was questioning why that is; why were there so many bumpy foreheads and so few of each other thing, rather than some of each?

Each individual species CAN only be counted once. My point was not about how many times an alien character that had a distinguishing feature other than a bumpy forehead walked onto the screen. My point WAS about how many different species there were that all had some kind of lumps on their face as their distinguishing feature. So no matter how many times the Kazon appear, they - collectively - count as only one entry for "crazy hair." Naomi only counts as one entry for "horns". So I'm asking, instead of TONS of face and forehead lumps, and only one or two of each of these other things, why not a moderate amount of each?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It was more than 7 years by the time the later season of VOY

7 years of TNG
    Almost 7 Years of DSN
    Plus several years of VOY

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Saito S's rules?

7. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course not.

My premise was to ask a question about why we didn't see a larger number of species with different kinds of visually distinguishing features.

The question, by its very nature, precludes a single species from being counted more than once, for any reason.

I don't know how much more clear I can be about it. But I think this conversation has run its course anyway, for me at least.