Doctor Who Movie Retrospective (music video)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by ChristopherPike, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a fan tribute to the 1996 TV Movie.

http://www.twitvid.com/FR3HZ

It mixes my love for Doctor Who and the Manchester band, Oasis... who I would've been listening to around the time Paul McGann appeared that decade. Not this particular track though, because it's one of their last together... but there's still something about the lyrics that fit perfectly to me. Aiming at an ambitious target but falling short.

I approached the video as a widescreen project. Which meant cropping the footage, so it looks more like a film... or the New Series. It's done from the Eighth Doctor's point of view and concerns the TVM mostly. However the Seventh Doctor is in there obviously, as well as a look at the earlier regenerations. It ends with the Eighth Doctor returning to Gallifrey, a montage foreshadowing his future selves, with soundbytes about the Time War and what I imagine could be his final moment.

Here's a link to the You Tube version, which had its soundtrack blocked for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DvKJd7xwvg

In the end, I had to audioswap the music for copyright reasons with something suitable and instrumental, among a limited choice. But I think the replacement works okay, given I didn't really have it in mind when I was doing the editing.

I've kept this low key for a few months, not knowing where to post it. I think some boards like Gallifrey Base still don't allow links to this sort of video.

I hope you enjoy. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice work,Christopher Pike.

3. ChristopherPike

Thanks, Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser! :lol:

Sorry... I got distracted by your avatar.

I remember you once used the cover artwork from Bryne's Early Voyages.

Brilliant that BTW. :techman:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't it just! Shame it was cancelled. I'll go back to some of that artwork from Early Voyages one day..

5. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

That was absolutely terrific. I'm a huge Oasis fan too. Very well put together. Seeing McGann go into the Tardis and leave at 5:03-5:14 was a little bit heartbreaking.

6. ChristopherPike

Cheers, Bones.

I hope someday to attempt my own fan edit of the TV Movie. The most obvious omission is that we never saw the Daleks onscreen at the start, and there are a few other details, I'd like to change if I ever got the chance.

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great job! A nice overview of the movie and Eight's all-too-brief reign. His return to Gallifrey was really well done, right down to the orange glow on his face as he steps out of the TARDIS. :bolian:

8. ChristopherPike

Thank you, Worf2DS9. :techman:

9. ChristopherPike